Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 11:59 AM

27 posts, read 33,262 times

Advertisements

So what do you guys think comes after their departure then? Does the state decline into a Detroit type situation or does it simply go on as if nothing ever happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 02:37 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,103,563 times
Well I don't know much about much of anything, but yeah, that's exactly what I think... big ole Alaska-sized Detroit. I think we will see a huge increase in (or, to say "even bigger" would probably be more accurate?) income disparity between the very wealthy and the extremely poor, and the middle class will continue to decline. That is no remarkable revelation; it's happening everywhere. But I think as O&G exits Alaska there will be a pronounced and undeniable change.

But again, I don't know much about much of anything, and economics is not my area of expertise.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:47 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
It's a good question...who knows. I'm not sure my part of AK will be as affected as points further north, even though oil money does help pay for our clinics, schools, and other services. I'm not convinced that the majority of the population will end up on handouts -- most will move first.

Who knows; maybe it'll be a good thing in the long run. Alaska was here before the oil rush. The oil brought a lot of negatives, a lot of greedy people who didn't give a damn about the state except for what they could get. Maybe if the state is populated mostly by people who actually want to live here, things will change for the better.

I realize I have a different view than most. I don't see people leaving as a bad thing.

Walker just said the PDF will be gone in four years.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:28 PM

I saw Walker's statement as well. The PDF didn't bother me too much as I had never gotten it (until this upcoming year).

I honestly could imagine the wealthy leaving the state as well, simply because there will be no business income which will further a Detroit style result. But I also have some faith that Fairbanks and the surrounding areas will most likely convert into a local, self-sufficient community. Or perhaps that is just a pipe dream as well.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:00 PM

Curious; how do you see that happening? ^^^

My point about the PFD wasn't really about individual recipients; the point is that the oil money's just about gone.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-29-2016 at 05:57 PM..

Old 06-29-2016, 07:37 PM

I guess I see it happening the way that the pioneering communities did. There are already some farms and stuff here. I think that number could increase later on as people get tired of paying high prices. Skilled labor would still be around so there is your building and specialty items.

Basically with out the sugar daddies of the modern world, people will fill in the gaps.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:12 PM

I have my hands full right now and am only posting to sort of avoid working, but the Alaska Extension Service has something going on where they're helping people start agricultural businesses. Later on, I'll try to find out more and post about it, but it might take me a couple of days. I think there's opportunity there.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:21 PM

Please do share. It's something I really wanted to try. I know people would pay some good money for produce that hasn't browned on the shelves of Safeway.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:43 PM

It was in the summer issue of Edible Alaska -- now I just have to find my copy. My hands are full, so that's going to take awhile.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:00 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,103,563 times
Sorry, my internet is not good enough to click around and see if the article you're looking for is here, but it all looks pretty interesting particularly the article on hydroponic innovation for the arctic:

Home Edible Alaska | Edible Alaska

More good information:

https://www.uaf.edu/ces/ah/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks