Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 08:56 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Thats about the coolest looking picture I think I ever seen on this City Data forum. It's poster worthy, that's for sure. Thanks for sharing it.
It's funny, that's for sure. That is not Alaska, though. It's Idaho... I'm pretty sure it's in Weiser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 08:57 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Valdez only has had 95 inches of snow for the season. They need some too.

I'll be surprised if it gets lower than -35F in Fairbanks during that cold snap. Still, that's way too cold. Don't even want to think about what my power bill would be in a month of weather like that.

And in SE it's supposed to be +40F this weekend, with lots of rain. Surprise!
Maybe not in most of Fairbanks, but very possible to get very cold by the airport, and all the areas near the Tanana, Chena River, and Chena Lakes (all the low areas in the valleys, Fox at one side, Chena Hot Springs Road, North Pole, and so on).

But I remember the '90s when -40 was normal for Fairbanks, and colder in 2012. Take a look:
http://weather-warehouse.com/Weather...K_January.html

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-10-2017 at 09:36 PM..

Old 01-11-2017, 12:09 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
I checked the current stats in Barrow and its warmer there than it is in Fairbanks and Anchorage!

The warmest I found when I checked was UNALASKA -- It was 38 if I remember right....

Old 01-11-2017, 12:23 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
I understand from the comments that this post was made with humorous intent, but in case anyone is casually reading this I want to point out that climate and weather are two different things. Of course weather is defined by climate and climate is based on a history of weather, but cold snaps and heat waves happen all over, every year, all the time, and they likely always have.

Despite wild weather shifts, long term weather averages are quite stable. Climate is stable and we've based our society around this regarding everything from where we live, to where we farm, to where we manufacture. Climate can change from a degree or two of temperature change, sustained over the course of multiple years. This may not sound significant, but the last time the Earth warmed by 4 degrees, those kilometer thick glaciers in the upper-midwest all melted, so what happens if it warms by 4 more degrees? Or even just 2? Well, no one can really answer those questions with significant confidence, but it's safe to say that major changes would occur in overall weather patterns.
Wouldn't a casual reader just skip over your long post?

Old 01-11-2017, 11:47 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
I understand from the comments that this post was made with humorous intent, but in case anyone is casually reading this I want to point out that climate and weather are two different things. Of course weather is defined by climate and climate is based on a history of weather, but cold snaps and heat waves happen all over, every year, all the time, and they likely always have.

Despite wild weather shifts, long term weather averages are quite stable. Climate is stable and we've based our society around this regarding everything from where we live, to where we farm, to where we manufacture. Climate can change from a degree or two of temperature change, sustained over the course of multiple years. This may not sound significant, but the last time the Earth warmed by 4 degrees, those kilometer thick glaciers in the upper-midwest all melted, so what happens if it warms by 4 more degrees? Or even just 2? Well, no one can really answer those questions with significant confidence, but it's safe to say that major changes would occur in overall weather patterns.

You fail to acknowledge that the global warming preachers point to global warming as the reason any time Alaska has above normal weather.

If you want us common folk to acknowledge the difference between " climate" and "weather", hold the global warming preachers to the same standard.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:08 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I checked the current stats in Barrow and its warmer there than it is in Fairbanks and Anchorage!

The warmest I found when I checked was UNALASKA -- It was 38 if I remember right....
You mean Utqiaġvik, formerly known as barrow. I still can't pronounce it right. It seems to be warmer quite a bit in Utqiaġvik during winter than Fairbanks.

It's -22 below here now. Looks like the serious cold is coming on Monday. At what temperature cut off do you all stop driving unless absolutely necessary? I'm supposed to be in Fairbanks for two days next week but it looks like it will be a cold drive in. I always travel with full arctic winter gear for everyone and have all the essentials in the vehicle, and it's obviously winterized.

I don't have grid power and basically use a little generator and some batteries. This makes keeping the car plugged in all the time somewhat of a challenge. If it hits the potentially forecasted -50, or even a sustained -40 for days, would I be better off basically leaving the car on the entire duration of the cold snap, or will a few hours of being plugged in before starting suffice still at those temps?

Old 01-11-2017, 12:41 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
You mean Utqiaġvik, formerly known as barrow. I still can't pronounce it right. It seems to be warmer quite a bit in Utqiaġvik during winter than Fairbanks.

It's -22 below here now. Looks like the serious cold is coming on Monday. At what temperature cut off do you all stop driving unless absolutely necessary? I'm supposed to be in Fairbanks for two days next week but it looks like it will be a cold drive in. I always travel with full arctic winter gear for everyone and have all the essentials in the vehicle, and it's obviously winterized.

I don't have grid power and basically use a little generator and some batteries. This makes keeping the car plugged in all the time somewhat of a challenge. If it hits the potentially forecasted -50, or even a sustained -40 for days, would I be better off basically leaving the car on the entire duration of the cold snap, or will a few hours of being plugged in before starting suffice still at those temps?
I'm no expert on -50, but I have experienced -40 twice and -30 many times ( Minnesota)

Plugging in the vehicle a few hors before using always worked for me.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:56 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
You fail to acknowledge that the global warming preachers point to global warming as the reason any time Alaska has above normal weather.

If you want us common folk to acknowledge the difference between " climate" and "weather", hold the global warming preachers to the same standard.
The climatologists who study climate data you mean?
ooookay...

Old 01-11-2017, 01:00 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,441 times
Don't anybody let Al Gore know... he'll be devastated as he'll have to give up his 'buy this tree to offset your carbon footprint' and he'll have to resort to other means of income...
While he sits in his Tennessee home racking up one month utility bills that would far exceed a years worth of mine...

Last edited by TUMF; 01-11-2017 at 01:09 PM..

Old 01-11-2017, 01:41 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I'm no expert on -50, but I have experienced -40 twice and -30 many times ( Minnesota)

Plugging in the vehicle a few hors before using always worked for me.
once or twice is doable. It is when it stays -30 for weeks on end. I came from GA, and my first winter here, we experienced -30 everyday for 6 weeks straight. High was mid -20s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks