Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 03:50 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,761 times

Advertisements

I got new phones in November for my family plus they were "giving away" tablets. So we got these tablets, too. At the checkout, the tablets were given some random cell phone numbers, and when I asked why, I was told it's "just because it's how we enter them into our system."
Well, when I got my first bill under new contract, I saw charges for all three tablets that increased my bill by about $40. Also, there were some other unexplained charges.
I went to the GCI office and spent about an hour there trying to understand their billing system and making the rep remove these strange charges. When I asked about a corrected bill, the rep told me they have no way to produce a corrected bill for the past period.
On my next bill, I saw the same old trick - extra charges for non-existing phone lines. I'm going to GCI this week with a request to permanently remove these fake cell numbers from my account and produce correct invoices for each period separately.
I don't think I'm the only person with such problem. I has problems with GCI bills before when they added services to my account without mu knowledge. I think they are defrauding customers on a regular basis and they deserve a class action lawsuit to be opened against them.
Do you check your bills regularly, especially after changes in contract? Did you see strange charges?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 11:24 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
I got new phones in November for my family plus they were "giving away" tablets. So we got these tablets, too. At the checkout, the tablets were given some random cell phone numbers, and when I asked why, I was told it's "just because it's how we enter them into our system."
Well, when I got my first bill under new contract, I saw charges for all three tablets that increased my bill by about $40. Also, there were some other unexplained charges.
I went to the GCI office and spent about an hour there trying to understand their billing system and making the rep remove these strange charges. When I asked about a corrected bill, the rep told me they have no way to produce a corrected bill for the past period.
On my next bill, I saw the same old trick - extra charges for non-existing phone lines. I'm going to GCI this week with a request to permanently remove these fake cell numbers from my account and produce correct invoices for each period separately.
I don't think I'm the only person with such problem. I has problems with GCI bills before when they added services to my account without mu knowledge. I think they are defrauding customers on a regular basis and they deserve a class action lawsuit to be opened against them.
Do you check your bills regularly, especially after changes in contract? Did you see strange charges?
Give a call to the AK attorney general and see what he says about it.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:39 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
HA!! I bet he will get the same response I got, which was, they'd look into it.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:56 AM

681 posts, read 1,206,933 times
Every device has it own line. AT&T does it this way also. I have phones, tablets and smartwatches on my AT&T account. They all have their own unique phone number, whether or not you can make calls with the device or not. GCI's cable billing is kind of screwy though, too.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
Every device has it own line. AT&T does it this way also. I have phones, tablets and smartwatches on my AT&T account. They all have their own unique phone number, whether or not you can make calls with the device or not. GCI's cable billing is kind of screwy though, too.

I don't worry about having a line number attached to the device, I just don't like being billed for what I told was free.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post

I'm sure he has nothing else to do besides dealing with phone bills

Old 02-13-2017, 09:59 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,103,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
I may be wrong, but it seems like maybe the answer could lie in the fine print of the giveaway. Perhaps they were giving away *tablets*, not the service, data, or whatever it's called for the tablets. I don't have a tablet, so I'm not really sure what they call it.

Could that be the case?

Old 02-23-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I may be wrong, but it seems like maybe the answer could lie in the fine print of the giveaway. Perhaps they were giving away *tablets*, not the service, data, or whatever it's called for the tablets. I don't have a tablet, so I'm not really sure what they call it.

Could that be the case?
Yes, you are right, this is the case. The only problem is that the clerk told me - I'm quoting - "You bill will be about the same." Then they sent me a bill 1.5 month later, and it is two plus times higher than before. I asked, whether this guy is still working. He is. So I said - tell him he is a dirty liar. Ended up cancelling everything except cell phones and internet - I don't want to deal with them. They put me on autopay without authorization, and kept me on autopay after I asked to remove this option. They are thriving on being a monopolist here, they are scammers and liars. Such an unprofessional business would have no chance if there was some competition.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:21 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,103,563 times
If it makes you feel any better, I had to buy a new phone last night and AT&T tried to do the same thing to me... "give" me a tablet or watch. "No, thanks!"

Old 02-25-2017, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
If it makes you feel any better, I had to buy a new phone last night and AT&T tried to do the same thing to me... "give" me a tablet or watch. "No, thanks!"

Nope, it doesn't make me feel better I just don't like when people are lying right in my face. I lose faith in human race then. I can't believe people sell themselves for so cheap. Because it's what they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks