Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 08:44 PM

5 posts, read 11,756 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am a 54 year old woman thinking of buying a dry cabin/house in Alaska. I wanted opinions from longtime Alaska residents who have lived in a dry cabin or currently do live this lifestyle.
Do you think at my age it will be to much of a challenge?
Do you think it is safe for me to live alone on an acre and half in a dark cabin?
I have heard that it gets so cold there that your car has to be plugged in or it won't start. How is this possible without electricity?
I have been reading and found information about filling water jugs to haul to the cabin. I would be interested in a good composting toilet and a wood stove for heat and cooking. Showers at the laundromat would be fine. The house would be paid off in 5 years if I sign the deal. At that time I could consider getting a well and perhaps electric.
I appreciate any input on the subject. Thanks!

Last edited by Restart04; 11-10-2016 at 08:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 09:04 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,424,224 times
There is no reason why you couldn't do it, but why not try it first? There is no shortage of dry cabins for rent in Fairbanks. Rent one for a year and if you like it, you have your answer.

Incidentally, a "dry" cabin only means there is no running water. It doesn't mean it doesn't have electricity or other utilities.

I would definitely not randomly buy a place like this before actually living in a dry cabin for a while.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:38 PM

460 posts, read 608,941 times
Agree with Mizzle. I am almost 53 and have been living in a dry cabin for 8 years, but I have a little help when it comes to getting wood and meat. Its not the dry cabin living that is the problem. It is the building itself and not knowing how it might be built. Sheetrock and wood can hide a lot of surprises. You could be buying a money pit. We fortunately built our own house.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:44 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,102,239 times
I would also suggest to rent first. Dry cabin living is not for everyone.

Your safety and/or feeling of safety is dependent on things we don't know... where exactly are you going to live? In all likelihood, probably pretty safe. Will you *feel* safe? Don't know... depends on where you're coming from and what your experiences have been. Being isolated and alone is not for everyone. In short, probably only you can answer this question.

Hauling water and splitting & hauling firewood is work, so... you have to answer your own question about whether it would be too much of a challenge. I don't think your age has anything to do with it. I know lots of folks in their fifties that are in a lot better shape than I am. Water weighs 8.36 lbs/gallon, and you generally haul water in 5-gal jugs... that's almost 42 lbs per jug, and it's easier to haul one in each hand, so 84 lbs/load hauling out of your vehicle (car, truck?) up the stairs, into the cabin, how many loads in a day, or in a week? If you're hauling it from the laundromat, you also have to haul it from inside out to your vehicle.

We do have electricity here, and living off the grid is not an assumption of dry cabin living. And yes, you have to plug in your vehicle if you want it to start when it's cold. Also, running electricity to a property or cabin that does not currently have power is... outrageously expensive.

I very much prefer an outhouse to a composting toilet, but that's just me.

Wood stoves are very common here. Wood cook stoves not that common, but having had one for much of my life I can tell you that cooking on and in one is an art.

You're going to want to do some research on drilling a well around here, if that's your plan. It is not that simple. If you plan on converting a dry cabin to a wet cabin, I would first consider getting a holding tank, not drilling a well.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:19 AM

5 posts, read 11,756 times
Thanks for the replies. Not that it probably makes a difference but the cabin would be in Nikiski AK.

Keyman51...What type of surprises could be expected with wood and sheetrock?

Also.. the cabin for sure has no electricity or running water....

My daughter and her boyfriend were going to meet up with realtor and check it out for me as I am in New Jersey.

The safety issue for me is probably the bears and not knowing if I will have to deal with them while out in the yard tinkering or that I may come home from work at night and having some grizzlies, say under the house. The house sits up on a stilt-like foundation (pretty high up). And the fact that it will be pitch dark getting from the car into the house after work. I have read the headlamps are great.

I was there in August and Sept. up around the Soldotna area visiting my daughter. Was my first time there and of course I was blown away that such a place exists.. Alaska has been a life long dream of mine.

I will consider the valuable information from all of your replies and am very grateful to you all for taking the time to give me your personal input. Thanks so much to all of you!

Old 11-11-2016, 10:43 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,302,629 times
This is the Fairbanks sub forum.... Nikiski is like 10 hours away down on the Kenai Peninsula.

It sounds as if your daughter already lives in Soldotna? Is there anyway you could stay with her for a week or two before you rent/buy to get a feel of where you want to live? Renting/buying something sight unseen based off pictures and someone else's description could be scary.

I have upgraded my place to "damp". I put in a large holding tank, installed some PEX piping, a 12 volt water pump and installed a shower and kitchen faucet. I also installed an on demand propane water heater and have instant hot running water as well now. I still have to haul water to fill up the holding tank about once every 6 weeks or so. Big upgrade over hauling 5 gallon jugs and using those though.

Dry cabin life loses it's appeal quickly. Water is heavy and you use a surprising amount of it. Although with a helpful nearby family memeber you could get caught up with showers/laundry etc. and it would probably make life a bit easier.

I wouldn't worry about bears in a place like Nikiski. Not that there couldn't be bears, but very unlikely you would have one on your property. Just don't leave any food or trash out and you'll be fine.

This will be quite a life/culture shock moving from N.J. to a dry cabin in Nikiski. Good luck.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:47 AM

Nikiski is South of Anchorage, and you posted this in the Fairbanks forum, and yes, it does make a difference. Alaska is a big state and the differences in locales is tremendous. It was not clear from your post that you were looking at a specific cabin to purchase.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I have upgraded my place to "damp". I put in a large holding tank, installed some PEX piping, a 12 volt water pump and installed a shower and kitchen faucet. I also installed an on demand propane water heater and have instant hot running water as well now. I still have to haul water to fill up the holding tank about once every 6 weeks or so. Big upgrade over hauling 5 gallon jugs and using those though.

Dry cabin life loses it's appeal quickly. Water is heavy and you use a surprising amount of it. Although with a helpful nearby family memeber you could get caught up with showers/laundry etc. and it would probably make life a bit easier.
To add to above, a further note on holding tanks and hauling water to a damp or wet cabin...

I also get water roughly every 6 weeks. But I have a 1000 gallon tank, am only one person, only have a 5-gal hot water heater, I don't have a dishwasher, washing machine, etc.

My friend, on the other hand, has to haul water at least twice a week, which can really be a pain in the a55 in the winter. His house only has a 300-gal holding tank and the tank he hauls in is 150-gal. And he has regular house with two bathrooms, a dishwasher, etc.

So, even when you upgrade from dry to damp or wet, water can still be an arduous chore.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:37 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,511 times
With a dry cabin you can leave in the winter for a week or two with no problems, but with damp the water will freeze.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
With a dry cabin you can leave in the winter for a week or two with no problems, but with damp the water will freeze.
Ehh, you can still drain the system, but it's a pain in the arse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks