U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 07:38 AM

28 posts, read 16,926 times

Advertisements

Curious about University of Alaska Fairbanks vs. Anchorage. I can do the research on the basics like majors, acceptance rates, class sizes, etc. But curious to get the "straight scoop" on the difference in culture and towns.

How are the two universities different from a local reputation standpoint? Is there one city that would be more fun than the other?

Is are they different in their identities the way that University of Oregon and Oregon State are? (one is known as the liberal hippy school, while the other is more of the blue collar "get 'er done" school).

Input appreciated. I know that a visit to both campuses will be important, but just want to get some initial perceptions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 01:19 PM

12,928 posts, read 6,451,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyingTheSun View Post
Curious about University of Alaska Fairbanks vs. Anchorage. I can do the research on the basics like majors, acceptance rates, class sizes, etc. But curious to get the "straight scoop" on the difference in culture and towns.

How are the two universities different from a local reputation standpoint? Is there one city that would be more fun than the other?

Is are they different in their identities the way that University of Oregon and Oregon State are? (one is known as the liberal hippy school, while the other is more of the blue collar "get 'er done" school).

Input appreciated. I know that a visit to both campuses will be important, but just want to get some initial perceptions.
Probably the "straight scoop" from a student's POV would come from campus student organizations, clubs, social groups.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:36 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,093,014 times
Are you going to study or work in one of them? Which knowledge area?

Old 04-21-2019, 12:32 PM

17,470 posts, read 31,191,171 times
To the OP

a. If you are into engineering, space, and climate: UAF

b. Medical/nursing, flying aircraft/mechanics: UAA

Old 04-21-2019, 12:36 PM

1,051 posts, read 656,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
To the OP

I’d agree. Unfortunately both schools are declining in quality, but if you’re an in state student I’d pick your school based on area of interest. If teaching is your bag, or even English, UAS is good. Their oceanography program is excellent as well.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:02 AM

373 posts, read 595,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
To the OP

Bull shi8t the CTC in Fairbanks is a great place for aviation!

Old 04-22-2019, 11:24 AM

7,453 posts, read 5,367,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgreb View Post
The last time I checked, the UAF A&P program was one year vs two years for the UAA program. If UAA had a one year program I'd have gone for it.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgreb View Post
Without swearing, I have never said that one was "better" than the other. Maybe I should have explained further as follows: UAF offers classes for aircraft maintenance, while UAA offers classes for aviation in general, or lot more aviation related courses in addition to maintenance.

UAA:
https://catalog.uaa.alaska.edu/under...amsofstudytext

UAF:
https://www.ctc.uaf.edu/programs/aviation-maintenance/

That said, all that may change in the future since there are talks about "integration." If that happens, the possibility of moving the UAA fliers to UAF exists since the air space in the interior is not as crowded as it is in Anchorage.

Last edited by RayinAK; 04-22-2019 at 01:32 PM..

Old 04-22-2019, 01:54 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,345,980 times
I've never been to UAA, but UAF has a very nice campus, that is it's own stand alone campus area and not mixed in among the city.

UAF is where all the unique arctic and far northern research happens. Not to mention the engineering program. When you read scientific studies and projects it's always about UAF research. You never read anything new or groundbreaking coming out of UAA.

UAA couldn't even keep their teacher accreditation program and many students got screwed on that deal.

IMO, it's not even a close contest and UAF is the superior Alaska school.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I've never been to UAA, but UAF has a very nice campus, that is it's own stand alone campus area and not mixed in among the city.

UAF is where all the unique arctic and far northern research happens. Not to mention the engineering program. When you read scientific studies and projects it's always about UAF research. You never read anything new or groundbreaking coming out of UAA.

UAA couldn't even keep their teacher accreditation program and many students got screwed on that deal.

IMO, it's not even a close contest and UAF is the superior Alaska school.
Agree about UAF versus UAA (Arctic, space, and engineering). In relation to medical and general aviation, UAA has more to offer, but the UAF's aircraft maintenance program is quite good, probably better than the one at UAA. I have no idea why there is not a flier's course, specially since we have a wide open space all around Fairbanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
View detailed profiles of: