Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,683 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I’m considering making the move to Fairbanks with two children (ages 7 and 10). I’ve looked at the crime rates and that made me a little nervous/concerned. The reason driving this possible move is a great job opportunity.

I’ve lived in the South my entire life, so I now the differences will be huge! I’ve read about the weather and I can honestly say I’ll have to do a lot of research to prepare for that.

Are elementary schools and middle schools safe?

Are drugs or gangs a problem?

I drive a Chevrolet Equinox, should I consider something else?

Am I crazy to consider this transition for two years with children these ages?

Any other single moms that have done this? And if so, please provide advice.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 06:47 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,842 times
Bug spray, for the human male type of bug.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:51 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Equinox is fine if it's AWD. Just prep it for winter.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:07 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
Are elementary schools and middle schools safe?
Yeah, they're fine.

Are drugs or gangs a problem?
Gangs, no. Pot use is pretty common among teens. There are other drugs available but avoidable, if that makes sense?

I drive a Chevrolet Equinox, should I consider something else?
It'll be fine if you don't live on an excessively exciting road.

Am I crazy to consider this transition for two years with children these ages?
Nah, they'll probably adapt faster than the adults. There are tons of relocated kids up here due to the military presence, so they won't be the only newbies.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:43 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,304,690 times
I'm originally from southern and sunny warm places. The difference between almost always warm year round temps and plenty of sunlight to below freezing and lack of real sunlight for months on end is a big adjustment to say the least.

I go to Fairbanks once a month or so, and have never felt unsafe. But I don't try to buy drugs or hangout off south Cushman at night either. Fairbanks is a crime free utopia compared to Anchorage.

If you live in the city itself, you'll be breathing in less than ideal air for parts of the winter. If you or your kids have asthma or other respiratory problems you should take this into consideration. They blame it on the wood stoves, but its everything, the power plants, oil heaters, car exhaust, etc. all get trapped during winter inversions making for potentially horrible air quality conditions.

Your pay increase will quickly disappear from the increased cost of living. Even if it doesn't appear to be so on online cost of living calculators. Don't let money be your main reason for moving here. Only move if you are seriously interested in the lifestyle of living in a cold, dirty, industrial looking city.

Don't underestimate the cold and darkness. No matter what anyone says, it takes a toll. Make sure the other aspects of you wanting to move here can overcome that.

Good luck.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:52 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBM82GRGMKG View Post

I’ve lived in the South my entire life, so I now the differences will be huge! I’ve read about the weather and I can honestly say I’ll have to do a lot of research to prepare for that.

Thanks in advance!
Research won’t prepare you for reality.
We came from the Deep South and my wife hates the cold. Like in Ga she’d keep her windows up and AC off in summer.

I bought her good winter gear. It’s doable. You have the have the right attitude and mindset.

Old 04-13-2019, 12:02 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I'm originally from southern and sunny warm places. The difference between almost always warm year round temps and plenty of sunlight to below freezing and lack of real sunlight for months on end is a big adjustment to say the least.

I go to Fairbanks once a month or so, and have never felt unsafe. But I don't try to buy drugs or hangout off south Cushman at night either. Fairbanks is a crime free utopia compared to Anchorage. The air is dirtier than Anchorage, however (the air inversions and lack of wind make things worst).

If you live in the city itself, you'll be breathing in less than ideal air for parts of the winter. If you or your kids have asthma or other respiratory problems you should take this into consideration. They blame it on the wood stoves, but its everything, the power plants, oil heaters, car exhaust, etc. all get trapped during winter inversions making for potentially horrible air quality conditions.

Your pay increase will quickly disappear from the increased cost of living. Even if it doesn't appear to be so on online cost of living calculators. Don't let money be your main reason for moving here. Only move if you are seriously interested in the lifestyle of living in a cold, dirty, industrial looking city.

Don't underestimate the cold and darkness. No matter what anyone says, it takes a toll. Make sure the other aspects of you wanting to move here can overcome that.

Good luck.
6.7traveler,
You are correct about that (bold text). But Fairbanks is not any dirtier than Anchorage nor any other town where road gravel is used for traction during the winter months. The DOT has made it worst in recent years because of the salt brine they spray the roads with.

To the OP: The cost of living in Alaska is very high compared to a lot of other places. Medical and dental care are extremely expensive compared to most places in the lower-48. For example, suppose that person has to have all his or her teeth removed, and have implants instead of full dentures. In this case the cost would be around $40,000 ($20,000 per jaw, 4-5 implants per jaw). I can have the same procedure done in NY for about one-third of the cost. Medical care is not the best, and even more expensive.

PDF file of the Fairbanks Quarterly Report (look at the cost of living index (pages 28-32):
http://www.fnsb.us/cp/Community%20Re...ly/Current.pdf

Old 04-14-2019, 02:06 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,490,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
For example, suppose that person has to have all his or her teeth removed, and have implants instead of full dentures. In this case the cost would be around $40,000 ($20,000 per jaw, 4-5 implants per jaw). I can have the same procedure done in NY for about one-third of the cost.
$40,000 is very cheap for having this done. Where in NY would this cost $12,000? I had 2 single implants done in Florida about 10 years ago and that cost $10,000 at the time.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:49 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
$40,000 is very cheap for having this done. Where in NY would this cost $12,000? I had 2 single implants done in Florida about 10 years ago and that cost $10,000 at the time.
Having all teeth mounted on implants is more expensive than the following, depending on the number of implants. One of my brothers in NY had to have all his upper teeth removed, and he opted for this sort of implants right after the teeth removal: 4 implants (studs that are set in the jaw bone), and then a sort of temporary denture that was secured with screws to the four implants. He had to wait six months for the jaw bone to heal and grow properly around the studs, and for the gums to settle. The next step was to remove the temporary denture, and to replace it with the permanent one. The total cost was around $12,000, and his insurance paid 80% of it. He has to go through a very rigorous mouth cleaning process of rinsing and flossing every night, and no smoking whatsoever.

Look at the cost for healthcare alone on page 28 of the PDF file I posted above. Alaska has one of the highest health care insurance cost in the US:
https://howmuch.net/articles/health-...rates-by-state

And:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/best-an...r-health-care/

Last edited by RayinAK; 04-14-2019 at 03:08 PM..

Old 04-14-2019, 04:32 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,347 times
I know out insurance can fly my wife and I and pay for our expenses out of state for a surgery and cover 100% cheaper than an instate 80/20 split.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks