U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 08:39 AM

13,635 posts, read 6,727,655 times

Advertisements

We live on the Gulf Coast of Florida. My oldest son is gay. There is a thriving gay community in our area. He has never been harassed. I have never heard anyone use the "N" word who didn't receive a tongue lashing from me. This is 2020, not 1950. I have a feeling you living in this area "once upon a time" was a very long time ago.

Now to the OP who never bothered to return: I don't picture a super warm reception as a gay person in Alaska. I only say that because of what little I know about the area. It seems to have a lot of macho type men who like to go hunting regularly. That's probably a media stereotype but it's not someplace I would move to if I was gay. I would move to a large city like NYJ, Boston, Atlanta, San Francisco, etc. would I know I would be accepted instead of having to wonder about it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2020, 08:56 AM

2,207 posts, read 2,195,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
We live on the Gulf Coast of Florida. My oldest son is gay. There is a thriving gay community in our area. He has never been harassed. I have never heard anyone use the "N" word who didn't receive a tongue lashing from me. This is 2020, not 1950. I have a feeling you living in this area "once upon a time" was a very long time ago.

Now to the OP who never bothered to return: I don't picture a super warm reception as a gay person in Alaska. I only say that because of what little I know about the area. It seems to have a lot of macho type men who like to go hunting regularly. That's probably a media stereotype but it's not someplace I would move to if I was gay. I would move to a large city like NYJ, Boston, Atlanta, San Francisco, etc. would I know I would be accepted instead of having to wonder about it.
Not really - it was 10 years ago. But I am really glad to hear that your son has never been harassed.

Regarding your comments about Alaska - it seems like you've never been here, and you are definitely stereotyping. Gay people don't have to live in metropolitan cities. They like and are happy living in the boonies, too.

Old 11-25-2020, 12:09 PM

12,934 posts, read 6,451,593 times
Quote:

Looks like stereotyping is alive and well and not restricted to dumb media portrayals. The little bush town of 430 souls I used to live in had at least 3 married gay couples. Everyone knew because everyone was invited to the weddings. The sort of place where open invitations were tacked up on the public bulletin boards at the local hang outs...post office, grocery store, and gas station. In the places I've lived up here anyway if you are a friendly, trustworthy piece of the local fabric you're good. As for those married couples...they all met their partners while living there.

Old 11-25-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post

Looks like stereotyping is alive and well and not restricted to dumb media portrayals. The little bush town of 430 souls I used to live in had at least 3 married gay couples. Everyone knew because everyone was invited to the weddings. The sort of place where open invitations were tacked up on the public bulletin boards at the local hang outs...post office, grocery store, and gas station. In the places I've lived up here anyway if you are a friendly, trustworthy piece of the local fabric you're good. As for those married couples...they all met their partners while living there.
Cheering for this from Fairbanks! +10, if I could rep you!

Old 11-25-2020, 04:39 PM

235 posts, read 102,604 times
Just don't mention being gay, if you want to avoid weird stares.

I'm an LGBT person from Iowa as well. Iowa, Missouri (outside of KC and SL), and Alaska are probably three of the worst places you could possibly be as an LGBT people in not just the US, but the whole Western world.

If you want to experience true equality and acceptance you got to get your butt to a big city in a blue state. Not only were you born in the wrong place, you keep moving to the wrong places!

Old 11-25-2020, 05:53 PM

5,760 posts, read 4,078,154 times
Quote:
Now to the OP who never bothered to return: I don't picture a super warm reception as a gay person in Alaska. I only say that because of what little I know about the area. It seems to have a lot of macho type men who like to go hunting regularly. That's probably a media stereotype but it's not someplace I would move to if I was gay.
Sure, there are lots of rugged outdoorspeople here. And some of them are gay. It's not as though being in a relationship with someone of the same gender makes you incapable of shooting a moose.

Quote:

Yeah, similar story here, I live in a small community but I can think of several same-sex households off the top of my head, and one couple where one of the pair is transgender. I'm sure they face their challenges, but they're part of the local community just like anyone else.

You have to remember that while Alaska is a "red state," the dominant form of conservatism here isn't the religious right, it's people who really love guns and oil. And that affection is not limited to any particular orientation or gender identity, haha.

Alaska as a state isn't super progressive about LGBT issues but I think it's been somewhat ahead of the national curve in terms of extending family-related legal rights (e.g. adoption, custody, inheritance) and public sector employment benefits (e.g. insurance coverage) to same-sex couples in line with what other couples have.

Old 11-25-2020, 05:59 PM

5,760 posts, read 4,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermaggie View Post
Iowa, Missouri (outside of KC and SL), and Alaska are probably three of the worst places you could possibly be as an LGBT people in not just the US, but the whole Western world.
Why is Alaska included on this hyperbolic list?

Old 11-25-2020, 09:19 PM

I'm getting the feeling that Alaska would challenge a lot of people's ideas about "what gay people look like."

I am here to tell those people that a gay person might look like a redneck in a beat-ass old Ford, or they might look like your brother or your sister, your mother or your cousin.

Gay people are Republicans, Democrats, Libertarians and Green Party members.

They are loggers, miners, equipment operators, doctors, truck drivers, administrators, clerks, nurses, lawyers, gunsmiths and homeless folks.

Gay people like camping, dog mushing, dancing, yoga, riding dirt bikes and four wheelers, cooking, shooting guns, hunting, and the same damn stuff that straight people like doing.

I'm not sure what is so hard about this or why anyone gives one single **** who anyone else loves.

Old 11-26-2020, 08:05 AM

13,635 posts, read 6,727,655 times
Quote:

Well I did admit I was ignorant on the area and that I'm sure it was a media stereotype. Good to hear that gay people can live just about anywhere without harassment these days. I still think of Matthew Shepard who was killed up in Wyoming or Montana simply because he was gay. I know that was a long time ago but it sticks in my mind when I think about a gay person living in a small town.

Old 11-26-2020, 08:15 AM

7,691 posts, read 13,594,565 times
I've lived in Alaska twice it was with the Air Force, otherwise I'd never have been there. It's also a long time ago. It is a beautiful state though.

My view is things have changed from when I was young concerning gay people. Things still have a way to go. There are bigots now as when I was young. I can understand the OPs concerns.

So my thoughts are. If the OP wants to move to Fairbanks then I say go. If people give you trouble, then let them move. The Hell with them.

The US is for everyone. These regional cultures of Red and Blue states needs to go and fast. No American should have to worry about, can they move here or there because of who they are. We will be in 2021 in a few weeks. Enough is Enough.

You live where you want. Though I have to admit I wouldn't pick Alaska. I'm retired though I couldn't take that cold again. I will also say that Alaska is probably more open minded than where I retired. Central Florida which is about as Red Trump country as you can get.

Good Luck with your decision
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks