U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 09:50 AM

16,809 posts, read 10,280,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitondowntheroad View Post
oh my, another question about homosexuality? oh my my, ok...let's see, you get beat down in Missouri and you want to go to ALASKA ?? good grief, are you looking for another beat down? My good faith suggestion is to keep your butt out of Alaska and try instead, NYC, Atlanta GA, Miami or SanFran.

The cold hard facts, like it or not, while most people don't care if you're a homosexual, but not everybody. That shouldn't hurt your feelings, but instead inform you about life here on earth. You shouldn't expect that every human embraces or endorses homosexuality. Many reject it for a variety of reasons (which is their choice as well). It's the way it is, fortunately or unfortunately.

I can't imagine that The State of Alaska is any different...or for that matter The State of Alabama or many other states.
If you don't know about Alaska, then you aren't in a position to comment on it with any degree of accuracy. I am. I'm a gay woman who works all over the state and formerly lived in Anchorage. Alaska is a closed state. No one asks you about your personal business. I like it that way. I currently live in Texas and I find the forced friendliness and good cheer here annoying. As for the getting beat up thing, you can get beat up anywhere. Don't act stupid and don't drink too much. The extreme cold can be depressing. It's important to keep busy through work and maintain social connections. I'm not familiar with the gay scene in Fairbanks itself. I've only been there a couple of times, but as with most places in the US, no one really cares if you're gay anymore. Just live your life and don't obsess about it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2020, 02:53 PM

3,516 posts, read 1,210,586 times
Quote:
Equating homosexuals and their alleged "treatment" with the offenses put upon Blacks, and their institutionalized trauma suffered in the USA is offensive.
So... the late Joh Lewis, Freedom Rider who had his skull fractured by Alabama state troopers while peacefully marching for civil rights, was being offensive when he made that very comparison?

Quote:
I've heard the reasons for opposing civil marriage for same-sex couples. Cut through the distractions, and they stink of the same fear, hatred, and intolerance I have known in racism and in bigotry.
Boston.com / News / Boston Globe / Editorial / Opinion / Op-ed / At a crossroads on gay unions

Gee, I hope you had an opportunity to set John Lewis straight before he passed...

Quote:
By the way, let's be very clear. There is no such thing as a "gay" person. There is no such thing as a "straight" person either. These terms are the result of verbal and nomenclature alchemy and literary concoction. There are "homosexuals" and there are "heterosexuals". These are exact, correct biological and scientific sexual identities. There are only two (2) genders, one "male", the other "female". There seems to exist a movement to obscure truth in biology through an intentional misuse and transformation in language. "Let's just make up, twist, and obscure the true meaning of common language as we go"....the question is what's the motivation for doing this?
So... you're triggered by the casual terms 'gay' and 'straight', yet the casual term 'Blacks' doesn't bother you at all. In other words, your pretense to be a stickler for technicality is revealed to be just that: a pretense. You just don't want the word 'gay' used because you know that 'homosexual' is perceived as less friendly, and that's the last thing you want when anyone discusses gays.

PS - Given your feigned fixation with technical terms, here's one for demanding a rigid adherence to acceptable terminology:
political correctness

PPS - Your grievance with gender identity is interesting, particularly because it has precisely nothing to do with the topic at hand. But you clearly saw this thread as nothing more than a platform for you to shake your fist at things that upset you, so I guess it's not surprising that you worked it in.

Old 11-26-2020, 04:36 PM

2,030 posts, read 2,258,777 times
Quote:
Equating homosexuals and their alleged "treatment" with the offenses put upon Blacks, and their institutionalized trauma suffered in the USA is offensive.

By the way, let's be very clear. There is no such thing as a "gay" person. There is no such thing as a "straight" person either. These terms are the result of verbal and nomenclature alchemy and literary concoction. There are "homosexuals" and there are "heterosexuals". These are exact, correct biological and scientific sexual identities. There are only two (2) genders, one "male", the other "female". There seems to exist a movement to obscure truth in biology through an intentional misuse and transformation in language. "Let's just make up, twist, and obscure the true meaning of common language as we go"....the question is what's the motivation for doing this?

This is not folly or pretense. It's the absolute truth for most normal, thinking, and sober human beings.

Think about this....there is no such term as "gayphobic" , but the twisters and masseuses of language are quick and adept in throwing about labels such as "homophobic". However, if a person labeled another a "h omo", the PC police would scream with feigned outrage.

I hope you enjoy Alaska - great state indeed.
You exemplify, precisely how there are so many haters on this site that actively pursue these posts that deal with gay issues in order to excoriate, demean, or minimize the ongoing oppression that we face in this country. Actually, I would go a bit further, stating homosexual people, particularly the (I’ll use the word “homosexual) men, actually have it a bit worse than other minorities. We have little to no representation in the media; tv shows, movies, advertisements, etc, which almost never show homosexual characters, and when they do, they are almost always negative. Unlike AA’s we don’t have legal protections in most states, particularly red states, never mind affirmative action. We all witnessed how the media fell to its knees after the killing of George Floyd, we never see any coverage when members of the gay community are murdered. Housing, credit, public accommodations, are not protected in at least 28 states for gay people. Only since 6/15/20 is discrimination in employment prohibited. Any positive teachings about sexual orientation are strictly prohibited in most school systems throughout the country, primarily because many of our oppressors insist on believing sexual orientation is a “choice”. Imagine how powerful these sanctions are indeed, considering it pertains to an entire class of people, that unlike other minority’s, are invisible.

In reality, sexual orientation is just as immutable as ethnicity, ones race, or being left or right handed for that matter, regardless of what some people want to believe. Being homosexual was actually illegal in the U.S. until 2003. Imagine, our country passes abortion laws in 1973, based on “a woman’s body, a woman’s choice,” yet sodomy laws remained in full force. Today, Michigan and Texas still enforce sodomy laws, only against homosexual people, despite the Supreme Court striking it down. To date, I don’t know any black folks who were rejected by their families because they are black, the way homosexual offspring are still routinely rejected by their family members today. I don’t know of any of any religious folks that rationalize and justify their hatred based on antiquated religious doctrine, that was written well before even the Enlightenment. Isn’t it strange how so many religious people commit so may other sins, yet have rationalized that homosexuality must indeed be the “worst” sin of all.

You obscure trans gender issues with homosexuality. Trans issues have nothing to do with sexual orientation. Let’s be clear the gay community along with feminists have worked hard to diminish gender stereotypes, yet the trans community seems to want to reinforce them, trading one stereotype for another. Actually, transgendered have their equality. They can legally change their gender on their birth certificate, marry, use the rest room or locker room of their choice with no repercussions. Since the Obama administration, the trans community has come out of obscurity, to having full rights, having all their elective surgeries covered, along with their synthetic hormone replacements.

Not surprised to see you’re not on C-D anymore. Enjoy Alaska

Old 11-26-2020, 07:10 PM

5,760 posts, read 4,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post

Not surprised to see you’re not on C-D anymore. Enjoy Alaska
S/he isn't an Alaskan and doesn't appear to have ever been here.

Old 11-26-2020, 07:30 PM

2,030 posts, read 2,258,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
S/he isn't an Alaskan and doesn't appear to have ever been here.
It was meant facetious. It was returning the same response

Old 11-26-2020, 08:04 PM

28,725 posts, read 31,368,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermaggie View Post
Just don't mention being gay, if you want to avoid weird stares.

I'm an LGBT person from Iowa as well. Iowa, Missouri (outside of KC and SL), and Alaska are probably three of the worst places you could possibly be as an LGBT people in not just the US, but the whole Western world.

If you want to experience true equality and acceptance you got to get your butt to a big city in a blue state. Not only were you born in the wrong place, you keep moving to the wrong places!
I'm gay and live in the SF Bay Area. I don't feel accepted at all--by the gay people (especially those in SF proper). If you're not into every liberal PC thing here, you are shunned. Many gay people are just as intolerant as the people they criticize. I wish we'd look in the mirror, but most will not.

I'll be leaving soon. The PC culture here isn't the main reason I'm moving, but it's definitely a contributing factor.

Old 11-26-2020, 10:10 PM

7,691 posts, read 13,594,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I'm gay and live in the SF Bay Area. I don't feel accepted at all--by the gay people (especially those in SF proper). If you're not into every liberal PC thing here, you are shunned. Many gay people are just as intolerant as the people they criticize. I wish we'd look in the mirror, but most will not.

I'll be leaving soon. The PC culture here isn't the main reason I'm moving, but it's definitely a contributing factor.
Some definitely not all gay people I have known. I have found to be exactly what they disliked. Prejudiced, intolerant and very disrespectful of others. Especially those of limited means. It's sad but I think a number of gays, have noticed this unappealing trait in the gay community. Don't feel bad alot of gays would not hit it off in SF either. I seriously doubt I would. In my day everything was SF and the Castro District. Id have a nervous breakdown if I had to live there

Old 11-26-2020, 11:58 PM

28,725 posts, read 31,368,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Some definitely not all gay people I have known. I have found to be exactly what they disliked. Prejudiced, intolerant and very disrespectful of others.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
It's sad but I think a number of gays, have noticed this unappealing trait in the gay community. Don't feel bad alot of gays would not hit it off in SF either. I seriously doubt I would. In my day everything was SF and the Castro District. I'd have a nervous breakdown if I had to live there
Yeah, I'm done feeling bad about it. Ready to join the exodus out of California for this and other reasons. There has been some discussion about how gay men, in particular, really do treat themselves and others crappily, even in places that are the most accepting of gay people. See this pretty balanced and thouthful article from the HuffPost (which I'm usually not a fan of).

https://highline.huffingtonpost.com/...ay-loneliness/

And your conclusion about places like the Castro was also confirmed by research cited in the article:

For other minority groups, living in a community with people like them is linked to lower rates of anxiety and depression. It helps to be close to people who instinctively understand you. But for us, the effect is the opposite. Several studies have found that living in gay neighborhoods predicts higher rates of risky sex and meth use and less time spent on other community activities like volunteering or playing sports. A 2009 study suggested that gay men who were more linked to the gay community were less satisfied with their own romantic relationships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks