Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 06:40 PM

4 posts, read 13,033 times

Advertisements

So I’m not expecting a lot of gay people in Alaska. As someone from Iowa, I naturally set the expectations low. But is it safe for me? I grew up on a farm, and will be moving to Fairbanks this June for work. Most people can’t tell I’m gay, and I usually keep it to myself unless someone asks. The reason I’m asking this is when I turned 18, I moved to Missouri and was brutally beaten outside a gay bar for being gay. I’ve heard people in Alaska are very friendly, but also mind their business. Like I said, I’m not expecting to meet a lot of other gays, but will I generally be safe it I keep to myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2020, 07:45 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,100,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowariverkid98 View Post
So I’m not expecting a lot of gay people in Alaska. As someone from Iowa, I naturally set the expectations low. But is it safe for me? I grew up on a farm, and will be moving to Fairbanks this June for work. Most people can’t tell I’m gay, and I usually keep it to myself unless someone asks. The reason I’m asking this is when I turned 18, I moved to Missouri and was brutally beaten outside a gay bar for being gay. I’ve heard people in Alaska are very friendly, but also mind their business. Like I said, I’m not expecting to meet a lot of other gays, but will I generally be safe it I keep to myself?
Yeah - I think it's safe, and I think there are probably just as many gay folks here as anywhere else. Mostly nobody cares is what my observation has been. I don't know that I would say that people in Alaska are "very friendly"... I found Kansans and West Virginians to be "very friendly." I would not say Alaskans are unfriendly, but mostly folks just mind their business, which suits me fine.

There is definitely a gay community here. I think you'll be able to find your folks once you move up here.

Old 02-25-2020, 12:19 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Fairbanks isn't gay-unfriendly compared to some other parts of the US, but it's not exactly a beacon of LGBTQ enlightenment, either. I'd say to be prepared more for stupidity/ignorance than hostility - that "Which one of you is the husband, then?" kind of herp-derp. You can basically assume that Alaska is about 20 years behind the rest of the country when it comes to the cultural zeitgeist, lol. But yeah, it's not the sort of thing you'll have to walk in fear of.

Since you're concerned about violence, I bring this up, not to be a bummer, but just as a heads-up: Alaska has the highest rate of domestic violence in the country. I'd advise any straight woman or gay man to be very careful about who they get involved with romantically (and yes, I know women can commit DV, too, but they don't tend to take it to the extremes men do). Check potential partners out and be alert to early red flags, particularly around alcohol/drug abuse - it's a big problem here.

There's a fairly lively gay community in Fairbanks.

Old 10-08-2020, 06:31 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowariverkid98 View Post
Most people can’t tell I’m gay, and I usually keep it to myself unless someone asks. The reason I’m asking this is when I turned 18, I moved to Missouri and was brutally beaten outside a gay bar for being gay.
I’m so sorry to hear this. What’s as bad as all this violence being committed against gay folks is that the media does not cover it; but I also understand the reluctance of gay bashing victims to come forward in fear of the repercussions. The day we have straight people marching for justice for gay people with gay people, the same way we have white people marching with black folks for justice will be a wonderful day indeed. Sadly, our survival has always depended on our remaining invisible.

Old 11-19-2020, 08:37 AM

127 posts, read 131,585 times
oh my, another question about homosexuality? oh my my, ok...let's see, you get beat down in Missouri and you want to go to ALASKA ?? good grief, are you looking for another beat down? My good faith suggestion is to keep your butt out of Alaska and try instead, NYC, Atlanta GA, Miami or SanFran.

The cold hard facts, like it or not, while most people don't care if you're a homosexual, but not everybody. That shouldn't hurt your feelings, but instead inform you about life here on earth. You shouldn't expect that every human embraces or endorses homosexuality. Many reject it for a variety of reasons (which is their choice as well). It's the way it is, fortunately or unfortunately.

I can't imagine that The State of Alaska is any different...or for that matter The State of Alabama or many other states.

Old 11-19-2020, 09:02 AM

127 posts, read 131,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
I’m so sorry to hear this. What’s as bad as all this violence being committed against gay folks is that the media does not cover it; but I also understand the reluctance of gay bashing victims to come forward in fear of the repercussions. The day we have straight people marching for justice for gay people with gay people, the same way we have white people marching with black folks for justice will be a wonderful day indeed. Sadly, our survival has always depended on our remaining invisible.

Equating homosexuals and their alleged "treatment" with the offenses put upon Blacks, and their institutionalized trauma suffered in the USA is offensive.

By the way, let's be very clear. There is no such thing as a "gay" person. There is no such thing as a "straight" person either. These terms are the result of verbal and nomenclature alchemy and literary concoction. There are "homosexuals" and there are "heterosexuals". These are exact, correct biological and scientific sexual identities. There are only two (2) genders, one "male", the other "female". There seems to exist a movement to obscure truth in biology through an intentional misuse and transformation in language. "Let's just make up, twist, and obscure the true meaning of common language as we go"....the question is what's the motivation for doing this?

This is not folly or pretense. It's the absolute truth for most normal, thinking, and sober human beings.

Think about this....there is no such term as "gayphobic" , but the twisters and masseuses of language are quick and adept in throwing about labels such as "homophobic". However, if a person labeled another a "h omo", the PC police would scream with feigned outrage.

I hope you enjoy Alaska - great state indeed.

Old 11-23-2020, 08:37 PM

Jesus christ. How about if you "get on down the road" back to 1952 where this sort of backwards-ass horse**** is acceptable?

Old 11-23-2020, 09:42 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitondowntheroad View Post
I can't imagine that The State of Alaska is any different...or for that matter The State of Alabama or many other states.
That only demonstrates the limits of your imagination, not the actual state of affairs in Alaska.

Alaska might not be the most progressive state in the union but it's not gay-unfriendly. It is, however, nitwit-unfriendly, so you know...be advised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Jesus christ. How about if you "get on down the road" back to 1952 where this sort of backwards-ass horse**** is acceptable?
Right?

Old 11-24-2020, 02:34 PM

1,169 posts, read 749,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Or to Gulf Coast Florida, which is about as far from Fairbanks and its nuances as I can imagine and still be in the USofA.

I doubt the OP cares much about this thread anymore, which is from the beginning of the year, but, Fairbanks is fairly tolerant but lacks a social scene that could be found in other places like Anchorage or Juneau. LGBTQ friends were always weekend tripping to Anchorage in their free time. My two cents.

Old 11-24-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyer View Post
Or to Gulf Coast Florida, which is about as far from Fairbanks and its nuances as I can imagine and still be in the USofA.

I doubt the OP cares much about this thread anymore, which is from the beginning of the year, but, Fairbanks is fairly tolerant but lacks a social scene that could be found in other places like Anchorage or Juneau. LGBTQ friends were always weekend tripping to Anchorage in their free time. My two cents.
Yep - I had the misfortune of living on the gulf coast of Florida once upon a time, and despite the amazing fishing, it was hell because of things like this:

> people whose vocabulary is littered with the n-word, "but not in a racist way!"

> "Christians" who go around preaching hatred, then screaming that I'm going to hell when I politely say "no thanks" to their recruitment efforts

> rinse and repeat, over and over and over and over again

Seems like Florida would be a great place for this commenter.

I completely agree with - FNSB is very tolerant but has no "scene" to speak of. Most people could not possibly care less what their neighbor is doing, so long as they're not hurting anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks