U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-08-2020, 07:09 PM
 
1,929 posts, read 1,592,846 times
Reputation: 1617

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Is the discussion here about 10.000 hours on the job to get a blue collar credential or how and why to feed children NOW?
It’s all connected.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2020, 12:14 PM
 
Location: In the middle of nowhere
426 posts, read 459,067 times
Reputation: 502
That's right. Our high schoolers took a carpentry class their second semester of school, then spent 8 weeks in Nikolai building a duplex for teachers. It did have to be finished by carpenters, but our kids are proud of the job. We have also have kids that built a shed and picnic tables as a summer school project. This fall our kids are coming in for split shifts and being sent home sack lunches.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2020, 12:36 PM
 
2,150 posts, read 1,583,720 times
Reputation: 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman51 View Post
That's right. Our high schoolers took a carpentry class their second semester of school, then spent 8 weeks in Nikolai building a duplex for teachers. It did have to be finished by carpenters, but our kids are proud of the job. We have also have kids that built a shed and picnic tables as a summer school project. This fall our kids are coming in for split shifts and being sent home sack lunches.
That's really awesome! Have you contacted habitat for humanity to see if there's any opportunity there?

Kudos to whoever came up with the above idea.

Last edited by jdhpa; 08-09-2020 at 01:13 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2020, 08:21 PM
 
1,929 posts, read 1,592,846 times
Reputation: 1617
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
That's really awesome! Have you contacted habitat for humanity to see if there's any opportunity there?

Kudos to whoever came up with the above idea.
I’m almost positive it was the principal. Great guy!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2020, 12:00 AM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
17,470 posts, read 31,191,171 times
Reputation: 13600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
When was your last public school experience?
Those skills can be taught in public schools.
Also, public schools will teach the skills needed to pass those tests.
Not all schools focus on reading, writing, and math only.

Keyman’s school built a house as a class if I’m not mistaken.
I haven't said that such skills cannot be taught in public schools. All I have said that one does not have to attend school to learn such skills, nor to pass the tests based on codes. Read my previous posts to get a better idea about what I have been trying to say, since I was responding to another poster, right after he-or she, whatever the case may be-referred to the hardly educated neighbors.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2020, 12:12 AM
 
1,929 posts, read 1,592,846 times
Reputation: 1617
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I haven't said that such skills cannot be taught in public schools. All I have said that one does not have to attend school to learn such skills, nor to pass the tests based on codes. Read my previous posts to get a better idea about what I have been trying to say, since I was responding to another poster, right after he-or she, whatever the case may be-referred to the hardly educated neighbors.
I don’t disagree with you at all. It’s still education. I’m saying education is more than reading, writing, and math.

Truly the job of any teacher is to foster a lifelong love for learning. If I can do that, I’m successful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2020, 12:36 PM
 
461 posts, read 447,334 times
Reputation: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Wonder why the school systems have to teach parenting? As far as indoctrination...yeah, you had me in your corner til that statement.

But you know I am correct. Most modern teachers are indoctrinated and they pass it along. Teaching all sorts of crap from their point of view. I know about "approved" lesson plans and all the smoke ... They can barely survive with 15 student in a class - it is just stupid and most districts start a teacher at $48K plus 46% in benefits .... we have already argued the hourly cost and it is one of the highest.

If we got a decent result I'd feel better but that will never happen is school is mostly a baby sitting project and parenting.

I know you were in the bush and I paid for that ... not the residents. You took a crap job and did it for a reason we discussed. Now you're out and you can rake in the $$$ like others. Fairness - administrators a BADLY overpaid too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2020, 01:00 PM
 
2,270 posts, read 521,944 times
Reputation: 3594
I have no idea of rents in Alaska, know cost of buying can be rather extreme. Two things, those whining about personal responsibility most likely have good paying job and were born when this was not a hard thing to do, so got their foot in door before it closed for many. I still remember when rents were very modest most places and you could get a good paying full time union factory job if you could just show up every day. Those days are long gone.



I can say lot places rents have skyrocketed cause the wealthy rediscovered renting to the poor is lot more profitable than manufacturing widgets and easier to get foot in the door, especially 2009 and the Great Recession when banks repossessed properties in desirable areas and selling cheap on courthouse steps. There are now large corporations doing this. Keeps price of houses high and rents higher. The American dream of OWNING own house has ended for many with real estate prices artificially high and jobs that can pay for them very lacking.



Why do I mention rent? Cause when housing costs have skyrocketed and transportation costs (many place have no public transportation) skyrocket and even food since the pandemic has zoomed. Well those on the low end suffer. Do you want to put a roof over your kids head and get charity food or do you want to live in your car so you can eat. Simple choices like that.


And dont let these old wealthy guys fool you, I still remember when you could rent an old farm house for $15 a month. If you can find any kind of minimal shelter for less than $600 a month anymore grab it. In places with real jobs its more like it starts at $1200 a month. Oh and rural areas anymore are not based on lot small farmers buying retail locally, its few mega farmers, so little support for small businesses locally. There tend to only be few good jobs in such areas and they tend to be govt jobs.


Also point out we have reached a stage of capitalism where there is less and less competition and wider and wider pay discrepancies. This also doesnt bode well for future. Hey rich folk better bone up on the French Revolution. Those chanting "let them eat cake" in response to poor not being able to afford bread, tended to be the first ones to lose their heads when the revolution came. You want your wealth to continue, you cant just step over the homeless on the sidewalk and pretend anybody with pitiful low end job can actually afford shelter and food.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2020, 01:07 AM
 
1,929 posts, read 1,592,846 times
Reputation: 1617
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
But you know I am correct. Most modern teachers are indoctrinated and they pass it along. Teaching all sorts of crap from their point of view. I know about "approved" lesson plans and all the smoke ... They can barely survive with 15 student in a class - it is just stupid and most districts start a teacher at $48K plus 46% in benefits .... we have already argued the hourly cost and it is one of the highest.

If we got a decent result I'd feel better but that will never happen is school is mostly a baby sitting project and parenting.

I know you were in the bush and I paid for that ... not the residents. You took a crap job and did it for a reason we discussed. Now you're out and you can rake in the $$$ like others. Fairness - administrators a BADLY overpaid too.
Take in the money? Dude? Seriously? I haven’t had a pay raise in 6 years.
I’m compensated for my professional qualifications. Just like a nurse. Or a doctor. Or a lawyer. Or anyone else that has a professional job.

There is for sure money wasted.
15 students in a class? Come on. Go visit your local school and get a count.

I spent some time talking with some Medical professionals last night. Talk about high paying jobs with extra hazard pay right now. Makes me want to go back to school.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2020, 05:09 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
17,470 posts, read 31,191,171 times
Reputation: 13600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Take in the money? Dude? Seriously? I haven’t had a pay raise in 6 years.
I’m compensated for my professional qualifications. Just like a nurse. Or a doctor. Or a lawyer. Or anyone else that has a professional job.

There is for sure money wasted.
15 students in a class? Come on. Go visit your local school and get a count.

I spent some time talking with some Medical professionals last night. Talk about high paying jobs with extra hazard pay right now. Makes me want to go back to school.
Medics make a lot of money, but the problem is that in the medical field the cost of insurance is extremely high.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top