Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 03:09 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,213,934 times

Advertisements

Have people started mowing their yards yet this season in Fairbanks Alaska? When does lawn mowing season usually begin in interior Alaska and when do people generally mow for the last time in autumn in the Fairbanks Alaska area? Please and thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 11:54 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,171,275 times
Too soon for mowing. Right now the grass is too dry, which in turn can lead to grass fires. The best thing to do now is to rake or thatch the grass (remove the dead grass on top).

Old 05-14-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Too soon for mowing. Right now the grass is too dry, which in turn can lead to grass fires. The best thing to do now is to rake or thatch the grass (remove the dead grass on top).
So…does this mean many lawns haven’t begun green up yet?

I would have thought that at least there would be green up by now because of the mild temperatures

Old 05-14-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Are any plants even showing any signs of life/breaking of dormancy there yet with the mild weather?

Old 05-14-2021, 02:09 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
So…does this mean many lawns haven’t begun green up yet?

I would have thought that at least there would be green up by now because of the mild temperatures
Mild air temperatures are just part of the equation in terms of when different plants green up. The soil has to reach specific temperatures too. If some lower parts of the soil profile are still cold or frozen plants will stay dormant. The milder temperatures need to be consistent night to day too. I am almost 600 miles south of Fairbanks in an area that is generally warmer during winter. I had frost on the grass last night even though daytime temps have been in the low 50s. My lawn is still brown too. In fact, there's still 3-4" of snow covering a lot of it. Of course, the local elevation, slope and aspect plays in to that too. This lawn won't be ready to mow for at least a month. The native perennial shrubs (elderberry, willows, alder, etc) are barely budded. Smaller perennials like cow parsnip and lupine haven't poked their noses up yet.

Old 05-14-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Mild air temperatures are just part of the equation in terms of when different plants green up. The soil has to reach specific temperatures too. If some lower parts of the soil profile are still cold or frozen plants will stay dormant. The milder temperatures need to be consistent night to day too. I am almost 600 miles south of Fairbanks in an area that is generally warmer during winter. I had frost on the grass last night even though daytime temps have been in the low 50s. My lawn is still brown too. In fact, there's still 3-4" of snow covering a lot of it. Of course, the local elevation, slope and aspect plays in to that too. This lawn won't be ready to mow for at least a month. The native perennial shrubs (elderberry, willows, alder, etc) are barely budded. Smaller perennials like cow parsnip and lupine haven't poked their noses up yet.
Ah okay. Guess the soils around interior Alaska are still quite cold and wet even with the warmer weather huh?

Old 05-14-2021, 08:22 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,102,650 times
Quote:
Ah okay. Guess the soils around interior Alaska are still quite cold and wet even with the warmer weather huh?
Yes. There are still patches of snow in my yard and much of the rest of it is still either under water or super muddy from breakup

Old 05-16-2021, 02:14 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,171,275 times
Quote:
Are any plants even showing any signs of life/breaking of dormancy there yet with the mild weather?
The snow melted very fast, but it has been very dry in the past two or three weeks. The grass is just turning green, but there are some spots of dead grass in my yard. Willow trees have been flowering already (for the past three weeks), and the birch's new leaves, while small in size, have a beautiful light green color (new growth)

This is a willow flower:

Old 05-16-2021, 02:48 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
The snow melted very fast, but it has been very dry in the past two or three weeks. The grass is just turning green, but there are some spots of dead grass in my yard. Willow trees have been flowering already (for the past three weeks), and the birch's new leaves, while small in size, have a beautiful light green color (new growth)

This is a willow flower:
Nice!

OK smarty pants...which willow is that?

(don't bother asking me...I don't know them all either! )

Old 05-16-2021, 03:04 PM

12,964 posts, read 9,485,778 times
Quote:
Have people started mowing their yards yet this season in Fairbanks Alaska? When does lawn mowing season usually begin in interior Alaska and when do people generally mow for the last time in autumn in the Fairbanks Alaska area? Please and thank you
I'll guess that mowing season starts in Fairbanks around July 1 and ends July 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks