Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,324 times

Advertisements

Hey there! I found this forum to be very informative, so I thought I'd post a question of my own.

I am very interested in transferring to UAF, but I'm not sure about the transfer requirements. I'm in a community college at the moment and I'm hoping anyone can help me with this. I searched the UAF website, but I'm still left unsure about the requirements. Maybe I'm just dense? Does anyone know how many units are required to transfer to UAF, and if there are any prerequisites?

I will be seeing a counselor at my school on Thursday, but I just wanted to see if anyone here could help me. I really appreciate any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 03:57 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Why don't you have your counselor looking into some of the requirements in this page? Maybe he or she can even give Admissions a call on the telephone (remember the time differences before you call), or maybe communicate via e-mail.
UAF Admissions: Transfer students (http://www.uaf.edu/admissions/undergrad/transfer/index.html - broken link)

If you are from a Western State, you may want to scroll down to the bottom of the page and look there.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:45 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
As with any college or university transfer, prerequisites will be determined by the course of study you wish to take, an English major will have differing pre-reqs than a math major, or a vulcanologist, phys ed majors are a thing unto themselves ie. Volleyball 101. the common misconseption is one of easy courses. My major was Philosophy, a heavy math and science curriculum.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:18 PM

98 posts, read 319,112 times
You need to have 30 college credits or you need to send them a copy of your high school transcript and your SAT or ACT test scores.

I know this... I applied to UAF for this fall semester and I didn't have 30 college credits. So I got a letter informing me that I need to give them a sealed copy of my high school transcript and a copy of my test scores. I was a total partier in high school and last time I was in college... so I'm gonna go here in town for a year now that I'm sober to prove I'm worth taking on.

good luck to you.
Hope to see you there in fall of '09.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:47 AM

31 posts, read 82,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffcutt View Post
You need to have 30 college credits or you need to send them a copy of your high school transcript and your SAT or ACT test scores.

I know this... I applied to UAF for this fall semester and I didn't have 30 college credits. So I got a letter informing me that I need to give them a sealed copy of my high school transcript and a copy of my test scores. I was a total partier in high school and last time I was in college... so I'm gonna go here in town for a year now that I'm sober to prove I'm worth taking on.

good luck to you.
Hope to see you there in fall of '09.
I'm applying for next year as well. If you know, can you let me in on the housing situation? As I understood, most students live in dry cabins and shower at the university? Is a shortage of dorms? Approx. how much would a 1 bdr apt. in close proximity to the campus be per month?

Old 07-14-2008, 11:24 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vera. View Post
I'm applying for next year as well. If you know, can you let me in on the housing situation? As I understood, most students live in dry cabins and shower at the university? Is a shortage of dorms? Approx. how much would a 1 bdr apt. in close proximity to the campus be per month?
There is no shortage of dorms, and there are no cabins at the University, except for a very old log cabin that for whatever reason people want to rent. There are five dorms in the lower-campus (lower altitude compared to the rest). One of these dorms is used as a sort of hotel in that graduate students can rent a room for a certain period of days or months. Then there are three very large dorms in the center of the campus. Two of these are 8 floors high, and each floor has approximately 27 rooms, showers, and a lounge. There is a laundry room in every other floor instead of a lounge. The first floor in each has a very large lounge and game room, a couple of offices, a kitchen, a workshop, and a RD's apartment. One of the three building has 4 floors, with a similar sort of setup (kitchen, lounges, offices), and then laundry room every other floor.

In addition to these dorms, there is a large dorm for married couples without children, and two smaller ones. There is a residence area (apartments) for married people with children. There are also family housing on Chandalar Street, and a few more houses on Tanana Drive. THEN, there is a multi-family building, and right across, a Native Alaska dormitory to house Alaska Natives. These dorms were constructed by a Native corporation, and are fairly new.

Housing on campus is expensive, but all the utilities are paid for. In the family houses or apartments, the tenants pay for telephone, and the apartment includes electricity, heat, and water.

Some students move off campus to save some cash, but for those who don't have automobiles, living on campus is very convenient. They don't have to walk far to the classroom, and they can ride a shuttle if they want.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:59 AM

40 posts, read 109,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vera. View Post
Hello! I am currently a student (and about to graduate) from UAF. There are no shortage of rooms, though you wouldn't believe it for what they charge! The rates are being jacked up this July, too.

If you're an incoming freshman or sophomore and staying on campus, you will most likely be forced to take the meal plan which will add about 1200-1800 dollars to your housing fee. The food isn't that great. It might be 3000+ - but that's if you're a resident. Expect twice that much if you're out of state per semester, not including tuition or books.

One bedroom apartments - it depends on where you go. There's holiday house which charges 500-700 dollars for not so wonderful lodging but it might have gone up since I last looked. It's a little scary there but it's probably the cheapest you'll find. Alaska rent is -very- expensive.

I don't recommend a dry cabin- they're usually in the middle of nowhere (or far enough from the university to be a hassle). Especially if you don't have a car. Public transportation here isn't great and it doesn't go everywhere. Remember that the winters here get to -60 where walking outside for even a few minutes is enough to give you frostbite and make you go completely numb.

The teachers here are great. If you're coming for liberal arts though it might be best to try somewhere else. They're not funded very well, again, the teachers are fantastic. However, if you're in natural sciences and engineering you will be spoiled rotten.

Anyway, just some things to keep in mind! Good luck!

Old 03-18-2009, 11:36 AM

345 posts, read 1,277,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyakurin View Post
Hello! I am currently a student (and about to graduate) from UAF. There are no shortage of rooms, though you wouldn't believe it for what they charge! The rates are being jacked up this July, too.

If you're an incoming freshman or sophomore and staying on campus, you will most likely be forced to take the meal plan which will add about 1200-1800 dollars to your housing fee. The food isn't that great. It might be 3000+ - but that's if you're a resident. Expect twice that much if you're out of state per semester, not including tuition or books.

One bedroom apartments - it depends on where you go. There's holiday house which charges 500-700 dollars for not so wonderful lodging but it might have gone up since I last looked. It's a little scary there but it's probably the cheapest you'll find. Alaska rent is -very- expensive.

I don't recommend a dry cabin- they're usually in the middle of nowhere (or far enough from the university to be a hassle). Especially if you don't have a car. Public transportation here isn't great and it doesn't go everywhere. Remember that the winters here get to -60 where walking outside for even a few minutes is enough to give you frostbite and make you go completely numb.

The teachers here are great. If you're coming for liberal arts though it might be best to try somewhere else. They're not funded very well, again, the teachers are fantastic. However, if you're in natural sciences and engineering you will be spoiled rotten.

Anyway, just some things to keep in mind! Good luck!
there actually are quite a few dry cains close to campus and on the bus route, Farmer's Loop. The bus takes you into campus. I live in goldstream in a dry cabin and im in the parking lot on campus in less than 15 minutes of leaving my cabin. But if you're new to alaska you might want to consider living on campus for the first winter. When it hits -60 and your car wont start and you live out of town, you are pretty well screwed.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:05 PM

40 posts, read 109,841 times
Are there? I wasn't aware that the buses went that way. I might have heard wrong. Anyway, anyone from out of state probably doesn't want to try a dry cabin in the winter when they're new. That might be too much of a shock to handle at first. It isn't as easy or romantic as it might first sound, especially with the cold.

I would suggest living on campus the first year until there's a chance to acclimate and figure out how they might really fancy living off campus. Besides, it'd be a good way to make some friends and develop a social support group when in a state that is -very- far away from any of the others.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:15 AM

345 posts, read 1,277,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyakurin View Post
Are there? I wasn't aware that the buses went that way. I might have heard wrong. Anyway, anyone from out of state probably doesn't want to try a dry cabin in the winter when they're new. That might be too much of a shock to handle at first. It isn't as easy or romantic as it might first sound, especially with the cold.

I would suggest living on campus the first year until there's a chance to acclimate and figure out how they might really fancy living off campus. Besides, it'd be a good way to make some friends and develop a social support group when in a state that is -very- far away from any of the others.
yes, i think its the grey line that runs farmers loop, at the college you can even switch buses for a different route.

i went straight from the caribbean to a drycabin. first winter was hell... truck kept breaking down and stranding me in my coveralls on the side of the raod, having to walk in the -20 to the general store. But i hung in and it all turned out ok. But i would recomend to anyone not atempting to be a hard***** to live on campus the first winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
View detailed profiles of: