Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2008, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 4,592 times

Advertisements

So I have recently moved to Fairbanks and am looking for a cabin/apt./home to rent. Is there a way to go about this that has worked well for others? I have a dog, which seems to complicate things around here quite a bit. I would really appreciate the help!!! Thank you : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 04:14 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,297,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolynba View Post
So I have recently moved to Fairbanks and am looking for a cabin/apt./home to rent. Is there a way to go about this that has worked well for others? I have a dog, which seems to complicate things around here quite a bit. I would really appreciate the help!!! Thank you : )
Depends on what kind of dog - they can make thngs rather dicey. Most states, even if the renter has renter's insurance, will hold the property owner ultimately liable for anything the dog does, like bite someone. I couldn't even get my homeowner's insurance to cover my dogs, and I had five that were all spayed or neutered. But since they weren't all 'house dogs' the insurance policy excluded them. And I remember one instance where a state fish & game guy [or maybe he was US forest service] in southeast somewhere had to rent a privately owned place instead of the state's provided housing, because his wife had a parrot which was considered 'potentially dangerous'. I could just imagine the warning signs: Beware of Attack Parrot!

Old 09-08-2008, 04:53 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,971,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Depends on what kind of dog - they can make thngs rather dicey. Most states, even if the renter has renter's insurance, will hold the property owner ultimately liable for anything the dog does, like bite someone. I couldn't even get my homeowner's insurance to cover my dogs, and I had five that were all spayed or neutered. But since they weren't all 'house dogs' the insurance policy excluded them. And I remember one instance where a state fish & game guy [or maybe he was US forest service] in southeast somewhere had to rent a privately owned place instead of the state's provided housing, because his wife had a parrot which was considered 'potentially dangerous'. I could just imagine the warning signs: Beware of Attack Parrot!
LOL...I was sitting at the airport in Anchorage waiting for my flight home, walking down the walkway was a man carrying a cage and a parrot on his shoulder. This was the funniest thing I've seen in a while. I couldn't help myself and blurred out 'yaaaargh,' he gave me a funny look and everyone around me was laughing.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:10 PM

639 posts, read 1,908,564 times
You may do best to look for a dry cabin or a cabin out in the Goldstream area. Since there is lots of sled dog owners and trails out that way people seem to be a little more accepting of pets.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:12 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,501,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolynba View Post

There is a couple of coffee shops around the college, one behind Pizza Hut and the other by UAF's East entrance on College Road behind the Tesoro Gas Station. Look and/or put a note on the bulliten board about what you want. There is some "dry" cabins to rent that allow dogs, but since the College season is in full swing, most of the places are taken. You may need to look out towards North Pole. Are you interested in buy? A friend has some small places for sale. If you IM me, I will give you his name and phone number and he may have a rental too.

There is a lot of places on UAF, Safeway and other stores have boards to put notes on too. And as a last resort, you can put a ad in the Daily News Miner too.

Good Luck!

Old 09-09-2008, 10:09 AM

639 posts, read 1,908,564 times
There is a large group of military leaving at the end of Sept. so there should be some places opening up. In the Sunday Newsminer there were 29 cabins ads placed maybe you should try and get a copy of it and call a few.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:20 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,297,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
LOL...I was sitting at the airport in Anchorage waiting for my flight home, walking down the walkway was a man carrying a cage and a parrot on his shoulder. This was the funniest thing I've seen in a while. I couldn't help myself and blurred out 'yaaaargh,' he gave me a funny look and everyone around me was laughing.
Should have seen me about 15 years ago, taking my macaw to a vet in Anch. Carrier that fit under the seat was too short for his tail, so he spent the whole ride on my shoulder and entertained the front half of the plane with all his tricks. Just before we landed, the stewardess finally managed to control her giggles long enough to tell me I had to put him back in the carrier for the landing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks