Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2008, 09:33 PM

15 posts, read 44,691 times

Advertisements

My son is at UAF and swears to me that the winter parkas he has seen in local stores are no different from that which he could have bought from Sierra Trading Post catalog in other words do not seem particularly geared to the local climate.

He specifically did not buy anything from Sierra based on what he read on this forum to wait until he got up there to buy a good winter parka.

Are there particular stores that he should be shopping? Has he waited too late into the season to buy a parka? I think he envisioned a coat that would be mid-thigh in length. Is he just not looking hard enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 09:53 PM

25 posts, read 105,164 times
On this same topic, I'm looking for some good winter boots! Any particular brands y'all would recommend? Something very warm, but not overly bulky/heavy.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:30 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Look at:

Big Ray's
The Prospector
Frontier Outfitters
The Sportsman Warehouse

It's best for him to go with somebody who lives here, maybe another student or somebody who has experience in the outdoors. However, foreign students from Japan and other places make it here just fine, and so should your son. Tell your son to dress in layers of synthetic windproof materials. He must wear headgear when cold outside. The best headgear is a set of "Balaklava," which is like a stocking cap that can be rolled down over your face, and has three holes (two for the eyes, and one for the mouth. A pair of mittens are best for colder days, but a set of insulate gloves are good for mild days. This could be expensive, but will keep him warm outdoors. There are sky trails right on campus, and it's very important to get out of the dorms every now and then and participate in local winter activities.

(I sent you a PM)

Last edited by RayinAK; 10-07-2008 at 10:41 PM..

Old 10-07-2008, 10:38 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HG_75 View Post
On this same topic, I'm looking for some good winter boots! Any particular brands y'all would recommend? Something very warm, but not overly bulky/heavy.
Well, when it gets much colder, pack boots are nice. Lots of people wear Sorel or similar pack boots, over a pair of thick wool/synthetic socks. However, juts for being outdoors for a few minutes at a time, you can wear regular boots over a similar set of socks. The worst thing you can do is for your feet to perspire in the boots without allowing the moisture to scape. You want dry and comfortable boots or shoes that are roomy to allow for wearing a good set of synthetic socks. Tight-fitting shoes are not the best up here.

Also, scroll to the bottom of this page, and click on the links relating to cold weather clothing.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:09 AM

886 posts, read 5,716,872 times
Lacross ice kings are what I have and love them. Be prepaired to spend some money though.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:40 AM

15 posts, read 44,691 times
Thanks RayinAK.
He went with all of the undergarments (silk/polypro/wool) and accessories (windproof balaclava, wool and poly pro hats, windproof mittens/wool gloves, boots rated to -25/(6 pairs of wool sox, etc). Believe me it was a winter fashion show in August.

It's the coat that he is in search of. I will send this info. Thanks!

PS: Not sure what "PM" means . . .

Old 10-08-2008, 08:00 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,655,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpette View Post
My son is at UAF and swears to me that the winter parkas he has seen in local stores are no different from that which he could have bought from Sierra Trading Post catalog in other words do not seem particularly geared to the local climate.

He specifically did not buy anything from Sierra based on what he read on this forum to wait until he got up there to buy a good winter parka.
All valid... But the main reason to buy in Fairbanks is not really a matter of which products are available. That is true for boots and coats (and headgear and insulated pants too).

The difference is that in Fairbanks you can search out a sales person that knows what they are doing. Better yet is to find some local friend who is knowledgeable, to take on a tour of stores. Just keep in mind that the average person walking around Fairbanks probably hasn't got a clue! Maybe more so than people where you came from, but not by very much.

It makes a difference whether your clothing is intended for driving across town when it is -65F, or to go camping at -45F. And anyone who ever drives out of town when it is cold should consider themselves in the "go camping" catagory!

An example: Sorel shoe packs. Supposedly rated for -20 to -30F. And that may be true when they are brand new and dry. But wear them every day and by mid-winter they are good to maybe -10F, and then only if you keep moving around and don't stand still. (Felt liners that absorb moisture inside an outer boot that does not breath to rid itself of moisture are just not very good low temperature foot wear.)

For someone who lives within a mile or so of work or school and walks each day, shoe packs with felt liners are indeed probably the right foot gear to wear even at -65F. You won't see guys who work outside all day, particularly if they are required to go inside for short periods of time and then back out, wearing shoe packs, even at relatively warm (0F or so) temps.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:43 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,230,431 times
I get spare liners and alternate them every other day. The go in front of the heat register to dry out and then get put back in the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks