Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 02:27 AM

364 posts, read 990,897 times

Advertisements

I read that it's supposed to be fifty below zero in Fairbanks for about a week or so. Quick question - do you guys in Fairbanks have problems with freezing of water pipes or car not starting? I've been in cold before but never 50 below zero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 02:48 PM

391 posts, read 1,029,622 times
Not really...houses/water pipes/wells are built with this in mind. Now as some on here can attest to, if there is not enough snow pack for insulation, freezing of septic/well pumps/etc can and DOES occur. Decent snowfall this year, so hopefully is not a problem for anyone (or very few).

Cars...very superficial discussion on my part, but generally no (already had alot of -20 temps that have already weeded out most mechanical issues. Cars winterized (engine/tranny/oil/battery heaters galore). Flat spots on tires (for the first several miles), power steering lines broke (from cranking that steering wheel over before the fluid has had a chance to get its viscosity back), transmission leaks from thick viscosity (not so much an issue if you have a heating pad), and broke metal (hit a "big" bump and the springs/coils may/may not respond correctly) are the common issues I see when temps go beyond -35/-30.

Some of the others have been in AK a heck of a lot longer than me, but I imagine we have some common insights.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:19 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,681,428 times
What Icarian said...

I recall -50 being the temp. at which they would close the schools in the Su Valley.

Never had a problem starting the truck up there and I never plugged in; though a lot of people do. My well froze one year.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:44 PM

406 posts, read 1,359,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetheoutdoors View Post
I read that it's supposed to be fifty below zero in Fairbanks for about a week or so. Quick question - do you guys in Fairbanks have problems with freezing of water pipes or car not starting? I've been in cold before but never 50 below zero.
i know the deisel trucks which they use in mining and timber need to run constantly when it gets the coldest. this is common practice in the north.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:24 PM

198 posts, read 959,285 times
7-Day Zone Forecast for Middle Tanana Valley

forecast to be -50 possible tonight, and thursday night.

Right now its 113 degrees warmer here than fairbanks.....

Old 12-30-2008, 03:49 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,440,440 times
Only -50°F? Gee, that is short-sleeve weather.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:02 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,937,235 times
Fifty below sounds like great hot tub and sauna weather.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:21 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,153,276 times
In reality, when the temperature drops below 20 there is the possibility of frozen pipes and such, but usually if there is a problem with the insulation around the pipe. For example, the water pipe from the well coming into the house usually is deep enough to stay thawed. In addition most have an electric heat tape running along the bottom of the pipe to avoid freezing. Even so, a coworker of mine had problems with this pipe freezing a couple of years ago, but this problems was caused by poor construction,as the pipe ran too close to the surface just before entering the house's foundation.

If the electricity goes out for a long period of time, the boiler can't keep the house's zones warm, which can in turn allow for all the pipes to freeze. One can always run a mixture of glycol/water through the boiler and heat pipes to keep if from freezing to around -20 or so. Since I burn wood in a wood stove for a few hours each evening, my boiler has such a mixture, since the zones on the second floor (split-level home) stay off from 6 to maybe 10 hours each day.

It has been around -40 in North Pole for the past few days, and this is how some areas around the town look:

Street by Pizza Hut

Santa's House (notice the fog by the right end of the photo. The ice fog is all around, wherever one goes).

Santa can handle the weather just fine
I apologize for writing my name right in the middle of those two photos. I did so because both are parts of a private business. If it was my own place, then I could post them without the logo in the middle.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:55 AM

345 posts, read 1,276,892 times
its currently -40 at my cabin and dropping. i forgot to plug in my truck last night and NO, it wouldnt start today for that reason, clutch or shifter wouldnt even budge.

But i dont have running water, all I have to worry about is keeping the frost chipped off the seat in the outhouse

Old 12-31-2008, 03:31 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,559,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetheoutdoors View Post
Currently here south of Fairbanks in the Tanana Valley flats, it is about -52 below.

If you don't pay attention to the weather just like anywhere else, it will bite you. Here the cars/trucks that sit outside that are going to be driven, are plugged in and have heat to the engines. The pipes are buried deep that need to be, the septic tanks have foam insulation on the tanks and piping to keep the frost from freezing them. House has triple pane windows and so forth.

School in Nenana is Optional at -50, closed at -51, for whatever that means... Kinda of the difference between being pushed off a tall building and Jumping....

You don't do a whole lot outside at those temp's, except dress really warm when you do go out for any extended time. You carry emergency gear in the car/truck if you break down, extra clothes and such is number one.

Splitting firewood is really easy though, one hit and the logs blow apart from the cold...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks