U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,685 times

Advertisements

Where are you??? We're looking for other couples/families to hang out with.... so far the only people we've met only want to talk about hunting and fishing, which is great for them- but not our style!

Are there any transplanted city-slickers out there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 06:55 PM

823 posts, read 1,580,699 times
Echo...............Echo........................... ....Echo....................

Old 01-31-2009, 09:29 PM

6,381 posts, read 13,175,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo08 View Post
Where are you??? We're looking for other couples/families to hang out with.... so far the only people we've met only want to talk about hunting and fishing, which is great for them- but not our style!

Are there any transplanted city-slickers out there?
Not too many, that is why most of the people moved here to get away from the "City-Slickers"...

Not that they are bad, they just don't want to talk about Hunting, Fishing, Snowmachining, Camping, Hiking, Canning (the berries and hunted stuff), Flying (in my case) and they want to talk about social stuff in town like movies, drama, city meetings and stuff...

Old 01-31-2009, 09:52 PM

7,087 posts, read 13,882,522 times
Just a suspicion mind you, but, I would suspect that, in Alaska, there are considerably more opportunities to fish, hunt, et al, than there are evenings with the Metropolitan Opera. I also suspect that most people talk about the things most germane to their own lives.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:57 PM

563 posts, read 1,334,226 times
It might be cool to learn to hunt, fish, hike, snowmachine, 4x4, and other outdoor activities. AK is paradise for those things. (*user jealous of those in AK*)
Then you would have something to chat about with the people you have met and maybe they may want to learn about your hobbies. Give and take...that's the beauty of meeting new people!

Old 01-31-2009, 11:57 PM

376 posts, read 622,736 times
Try getting along with out Safeway and Fred Meyer for a while and I bet you start hunting!

Old 02-01-2009, 12:14 AM

2 posts, read 5,685 times
I absolutely enjoy camping, hiking, etc, and did this frequently in the lower 48 (just moved here this past summer). But I also enjoy a great variety of other things and I'd like to meet other people who's interests go beyond the scope of outdoor activities- and who actively pursue them. Diversity is a wonderful thing and I'd like to find others who feel the same way. I apologize if I have offended the hunters and fishers on here as that was not my intention.

ps. DezertGirl, thanks for the lesson in social etiquette- I never would have guessed that "give and take" is an integral part of making friends.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:23 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,277,164 times
I think if you wanted culture and societal entertainment you should have moved to Anchorage. The have the PAC, a museum, and a big fancy library. Just seemed a waste of time to me. Why be stuck inside when you can be outside doing real stuff. I much prefer reality to make believe. Good luck in your quest for worldly pleasures.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:43 AM

11,838 posts, read 26,737,835 times
Sambo try seeing if there are any groups at UAF that have interests more in tune with your own. Also post a few threads on boards like you're doing now & see who bites. What other activities are you interested in?

Old 02-01-2009, 11:39 AM

18,209 posts, read 32,395,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo08 View Post
I absolutely enjoy camping, hiking, etc, and did this frequently in the lower 48 (just moved here this past summer). But I also enjoy a great variety of other things and I'd like to meet other people who's interests go beyond the scope of outdoor activities- and who actively pursue them. Diversity is a wonderful thing and I'd like to find others who feel the same way. I apologize if I have offended the hunters and fishers on here as that was not my intention.

ps. DezertGirl, thanks for the lesson in social etiquette- I never would have guessed that "give and take" is an integral part of making friends.
Then you have to tell which are those things you are interested on. You are approaching the whole thing like a blind date. Instead of that, list the activities or hobbies you are interested on.

Now, being indoors for long periods of time in the interior (in the middle of the winter), will make you SAD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks