Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 04:19 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,056,354 times

Advertisements

Thought I'd go to Fairbanks for the first time after camping at Teklanika but I can't say I'm all that thrilled about it. Other than the slight chance of seeing the lights, there's nothing I've seen or read about that city that excites me. Am I missing something? Anything I shouldn't miss when there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 06:18 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzzz01 View Post
Thought I'd go to Fairbanks for the first time after camping at Teklanika but I can't say I'm all that thrilled about it. Other than the slight chance of seeing the lights, there's nothing I've seen or read about that city that excites me. Am I missing something? Anything I shouldn't miss when there?
Go the the UAF Museum, and maybe spend a night at the Hot Springs. Other than that, fairbanks is where Alaska begins. Anchorage is just a step closer to Alaska, from Seattle.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:11 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,020,037 times
Quote:
there's nothing I've seen or read about that city that excites me. Am I missing something?
Well, I'm sure to step on some toes with this one, but hey, I'm in an iconoclastic mood tonight anyway. Yes I agree with you...Fairbanks has always been the least interesting place in Alaska for me. There's nothing to see. It's out in the middle of the flat lands. If you really strain your eyes you can just barely make out the Alaska Range way off in the distance - on a clear day. Summers are hot, buggy, and often choked with smoke. As much as others like to rag on it, even Anchorage offers a thousand times more scenery than Fairbanks. Yea, we always hear about the UAF Museum of the North - that takes about two hours to see (if you walk really slow) - then what - Pioneer Park?

However,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
fairbanks is where Alaska begins.
Is actually fairly accurate since, as with any starting point, the whole purpose is to leave it - usually my favorite part of any trip to Squarebanks!

Old 08-15-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Well, I'm sure to step on some toes with this one, but hey, I'm in an iconoclastic mood tonight anyway. Yes I agree with you...Fairbanks has always been the least interesting place in Alaska for me. There's nothing to see. It's out in the middle of the flat lands. If you really strain your eyes you can just barely make out the Alaska Range way off in the distance - on a clear day. Summers are hot, buggy, and often choked with smoke. As much as others like to rag on it, even Anchorage offers a thousand times more scenery than Fairbanks. Yea, we always hear about the UAF Museum of the North - that takes about two hours to see (if you walk really slow) - then what - Pioneer Park?

However,

Is actually fairly accurate since, as with any starting point, the whole purpose is to leave it - usually my favorite part of any trip to Squarebanks!
Los Anchorage

But seriously, there are a lot of outdoors events taking place around Fairbanks during the summer and winter months, although I have no idea if that's what the OP is looking for. The Hot Springs are pretty nice, and some people find it amusing sleeping in the ice hotel. I do agree with you that there is no scenery in Fairbanks like in Los Anchorage (I have lived on both places). After living near Fairbanks, I would never want to go back to Anchorage. Too many people, and gangs too.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:57 AM

Thanks for the input guys, glad to see it wasn't just me. Maybe I'll just do a quick drive though...I do want to get a good view of the pipeline though and I guess there's a good area there to see it?

Old 08-15-2009, 11:38 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,020,037 times
Quote:
Thanks for the input guys, glad to see it wasn't just me. Maybe I'll just do a quick drive though...I do want to get a good view of the pipeline though and I guess there's a good area there to see it?
Well, as the pipeline is 800 miles long, there are naturally any number of places to "see" it along it's route. But yes, you are probably reffering to the pipeline "visitor's center" which has a small information booth, located about 8 miles north of town on the Steese Hwy.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:14 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
The more I go to Fairbanks, the more I like it. I'm heading up there beginning of September for a few days. I'm driving my two best friends up to UAF and I'm going to wander around for a few days from there, not sure where yet. The only drawback for me in town is the downtown area, a lot of one way streets!

Old 08-15-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
The more I go to Fairbanks, the more I like it. I'm heading up there beginning of September for a few days. I'm driving my two best friends up to UAF and I'm going to wander around for a few days from there, not sure where yet. The only drawback for me in town is the downtown area, a lot of one way streets!
The good news is that the traffic pattern has changed.

We just had the Indian & Eskimo Olympics a few weeks ago. That's always a nice event taking place in Fairbanks. But the city itself is not much of a city, but a spread-out neighborhood. Other events that take place during the summer is the Yukon 800 (boat race), and other races, including car racing for those who like that kind of stuff. The Yukon Quest during the winter, The Arctic Man, some international dog races, more dog races in North Pole, and the Iron Dog (snowmobile race), etc. AND watching the Northern lights

Old 08-16-2009, 08:42 AM

How about Skinny Dick's Halfway...worth stopping there for a cold one?

Old 08-16-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
How about Skinny Dick's Halfway...worth stopping there for a cold one?
I haven't been there for awhile, and I believe that he sold the business, but the name was kept outside the place. It was quite a popular place with travelers, but i don't know how it is these days. I believe that he was the main attraction as he entertained the customers. Nothing to lose by stopping there on your way to Fairbanks. Just let somebody else do the driving after
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks