Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2009, 12:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,159 times

Advertisements

Should I make the drive up thru Canada in October or take the Ferry from Washington. We have a front-wheel drive Altima so I'm thinking the Ferry would be the best choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 01:14 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,165,020 times
Get some all season tires and drive up! The road is open year round.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:54 PM

886 posts, read 5,719,115 times
If you do ont have your spot on the ferry booked now you will not get one. If you do get one be prepaired to be camping on the deck in cold weather.

You are better off driving up.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:08 PM

234 posts, read 719,424 times
If you can afford to fly, that's what I would do. You will have to get your car winterized too, before the temps start dropping. The best time to drive is June-early August. If you are OK in sketchy road conditions, you'll be fine driving up - just be careful!

Flying: Kind of expensive, but much safer & faster
Ferry: I think it's way too expensive, but it allows you to bring your car
Driving: Longer trip, get to see some beautiful sights, can be dangerous (but you'll probably be fine), but much more inexpensive than any of the other options!

Just hurry up and get up here before mid-October!!! Hurry!

Old 09-24-2009, 04:11 PM

Haha I forgot to ask, what are you going to do with your Front wheel drive Altima once you get up here??? If it were me, I would sell the Altima and buy a plane ticket. There are plenty of cars up here for sale, you could get a taxi easily and buy yourself a 4wd or 4x4 vehicle. In a couple weeks you wont be able to get around anywhere if you don't have 4wd and studded tires and/or chains. You will be safer and get up here much quicker by plane (after I read what kind of car you have, I'm a bit worried). It's not super expensive to fly from Seattle or Portland.

If you do plan on driving you have to have a Passport to get through Canada. If you fly you do not need your Passport.

I suppose if you can get on the ferry & if you can afford it, go for it. But I would sell your car down in the lower 48 before you bring up here because nobody will want to buy it from you up here.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:13 PM

Are you moving up or just going on vacation? If you are moving, don't bring your Altima, you'll regret it.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:39 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,165,020 times
There are many front wheel drive cars in Alaska, they do fine. Of all the cars you see in the ditches in Alaska are 4x4 pickups and SUV's. On occasion you will see a small car in the ditch.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:40 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,661,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak.nessa View Post
buy yourself a 4wd or 4x4 vehicle. In a couple weeks you wont be able to get around anywhere if you don't have 4wd and studded tires and/or chains.
Nobody ever needs chains around Eielson, and 4wd is certainly nice, but isn't anything like necessary. Most people have front wheel drive sedans, and they do just fine.

Keep in mind that there is virtually never any wet snow in the Fairbanks area. They don't get that much snow to begin with, but except perhaps for the first snow of the year it is always very dry snow. It's a very rare snow that builds up enough to stop front wheel drive traffic before the snow plow gets there.

On the other hand, October is not a good time for drivers who have little experience with driving on slippery roads. And late December through early March it's not a good time to arrive in a car that has not been winterized properly (that means by a mechanic in Fairbanks, who knows what to do).

Old 09-24-2009, 09:33 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,224,520 times
It's supposed to be 20 degrees tonight (Thursday), and snowing, but the temperature still reaches 40 degrees or so during the day. It may be a little colder in October

I have a Subaru Forester, but to work and back I drive a 1987 Honda Civic Si summer and winter. I don't even use studded tires some winters, but I have been driving on ice for quite a lot of years. For added traction, and set of studded tires are very nice around Eielson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks