Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 04:39 PM

10 posts, read 14,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
All cars work here, they need winter tires and get set up for cold weather starts.

The challenge is for you to learn to safely drive on the snow and ice.

Four wheel drive times zero is the same as two wheel times zero...
What exactly does getting a car "set up for cold weather starts" entail?

I lived in CO for a while, and got fairly used to driving in the snow. Basically I learned that a 4WD vehicle stops the same as a 2WD vehicle in snow...in other words not very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Oklahoma City, that's where a 2 inch snow fall shuts down all essential government services.

Well I can't speak for all essential government services, but I know they don't let school out in Tulsa for 2 inches of snow....2 inches of ice on the other hand...

Old 10-22-2009, 04:56 PM

886 posts, read 5,715,978 times
For winter you are going to need a 60/40 coolant water mix a block heater a engine oil pan heater and a trans pan heater for starters. Also all fluids should be changed over to synthetic.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:57 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-St8 View Post
Well I can't speak for all essential government services, but I know they don't let school out in Tulsa for 2 inches of snow....2 inches of ice on the other hand...
I was in Tulsa once when an Ice Storm hit. The streets looked like giant pinball machines the next day during rush hour! Auto insurance companies must love it out there!

Old 10-22-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafracer View Post
For winter you are going to need a 60/40 coolant water mix a block heater a engine oil pan heater and a trans pan heater for starters. Also all fluids should be changed over to synthetic.
Thanks. I thought there would probably be some measures that you had to take to keep your car reliable during the extreme cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
I was in Tulsa once when an Ice Storm hit. The streets looked like giant pinball machines the next day during rush hour! Auto insurance companies must love it out there!

Yeah there is nothing you can do on solid ice...studded tires don't work...chains work a bit. You just have to hope that the sand truck arrives.

We get WAY to much ice.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Yeah, Fairbanks is a Great place for a challange!

Awesome!

I do realize that it's not all rainbows and butterflies up there...in fact for a large part of the year I would assume there are zero rainbows or butterflies..haha!

But at the same time, even if I don't stay there permanently, I would love to go someplace that has some magic to it...some elements that are partly (seemingly) not of this world! Alaksa seems to have some of that.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:51 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
that is grabbing a beer out of the bottom of a very large metal tub filled with ice with your teeth!!! beer bobbing, full head submerged then it might come close to Alaska cold!!!
Not even. Through simple thermodynamics the melting ice keeps the water at a toasty 32F. Try cooling the tub down to -40F. I predict you will have a somewhat different experience!

Old 10-22-2009, 11:53 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,288,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Auto insurance companies must love it out there!
Around Dallas they'd set up big stations after the bad spring hailstorms so they could do hundreds of estimates at once. The ice and hail pretty well kept my family afloat since my dad ran an auto body shop.

The problem with winter around there is that it'll be in the 40s all day and drizzly and overcast, then it'll freeze up at night. Either that or freezing rain. Then the whole place is like a skating rink in the morning. If it would stay either above or below freezing it would be better. That part of the country doesn't get all that much good weather, really.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:58 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,288,511 times
Quote:
But at the same time, even if I don't stay there permanently, I would love to go someplace that has some magic to it...some elements that are partly (seemingly) not of this world! Alaska seems to have some of that.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:03 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,922 times
Quote:
Awesome!

I do realize that it's not all rainbows and butterflies up there...in fact for a large part of the year I would assume there are zero rainbows or butterflies..haha!

But at the same time, even if I don't stay there permanently, I would love to go someplace that has some magic to it...some elements that are partly (seemingly) not of this world! Alaksa seems to have some of that.
yes, exaclty. not of this world.

Fairbanks, and Alaska can provide some of that.

Don't expect too much. Just go with the flow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks