Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 02:53 PM

47 posts, read 150,337 times

Advertisements

I hate driving, and went "car-free" at the end of this past January. Now, I'm moving up to Fairbanks, and I'm curious about commuting to/from work on my bicycle... even during the Winter... seriously.

Anyone bicycle to work, in Fairbanks?

On a related note: Are the roads in Fairbanks any good for riding a road bike during the non-snowy months? I've got a 1985 Trek 600, and would love to keep-up my 20 miles/day. Can I assume that a Surly Cross-Check or Long-Haul Trucker with 45mm "fatties" will be OK for daily on-road travel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 04:18 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBHoren View Post
I hate driving, and went "car-free" at the end of this past January. Now, I'm moving up to Fairbanks, and I'm curious about commuting to/from work on my bicycle... even during the Winter... seriously.

Anyone bicycle to work, in Fairbanks?

On a related note: Are the roads in Fairbanks any good for riding a road bike during the non-snowy months? I've got a 1985 Trek 600, and would love to keep-up my 20 miles/day. Can I assume that a Surly Cross-Check or Long-Haul Trucker with 45mm "fatties" will be OK for daily on-road travel?
I will assume you are talking about a "bicycle," not a motorcycle. Right? You can't ride motorcycles during the winter months.

Bicycle: you will need snow/ice tires on the bike, and wear special (very expensive) clothing to ride during the winter months. Also, a headlamp, and strobe lights on the bike.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:26 PM

98 posts, read 319,137 times
I also hear people talk about getting their bikes 'winterized,' although I'm not certain what that means. I was surprised at how many people ride at -20, bundled up with a mask, goggles, and helmet.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:31 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
I repack my bearings with low temp grease, if you don't, the pedals and crank won't spin. The headset will freeze, too. I bike year round here in Bethel. I just put my studded tires on the other day when I got back from Anchorage. There are a lot of people that bike in Fairbanks in winter. They don't use the sidewalks, they ride right down the side of the road.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:59 PM

47 posts, read 150,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I repack my bearings with low temp grease, if you don't, the pedals and crank won't spin. The headset will freeze, too. I bike year round here in Bethel. I just put my studded tires on the other day when I got back from Anchorage. There are a lot of people that bike in Fairbanks in winter. They don't use the sidewalks, they ride right down the side of the road.
Sidewalks? Those are for kids, pedestrians, and "seniors" on their damn tricycles! (OK, strike the "seniors" -- that's just down here in South Florida)

But seriously, are AK drivers cyclist-aware, or is it "open-season" on us? Down here, when I put on a reflective vest, I feel like a medic in a combat zone!

Thanks for the low-temp grease info... it's what I need to know

Old 10-31-2009, 08:15 PM

I don't use the vest here in Bethel, but I did see cyclists and walkers use them when I was in Fairbanks over the weekend. It makes it easier to see them on the side of the road. On my bike I have Planet Bike lights all around. I have the Super Blinky rear strobe/flasher and on the handle bars I have a 1 watt headlight that has low/high/strobe and a 1/2 watt light with flash and on. On my backpack I have a bell flasher.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:14 PM

681 posts, read 1,206,933 times
I know several people that ride all winter in Fairbanks and they ALL wear something reflective in addition to the lights. Most routes to UAF are fairly high traffic....Geist Road, University Ave., College Road are all busy roads. Combine that with ice fog, poor or non-existent street lighting, etc. and you'll want everything you can get that makes you visible.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:17 PM

I also have reflective tape on various parts of my bike.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:52 PM

2,397 posts, read 4,701,961 times
Fairbanks Cycle Club -- Fairbanks, Alaska

Old 11-01-2009, 01:21 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times
Yeah, they ride bikes....

I am always worried when I pass them riding on the roadway that they will fall down and go under the truck because the snow berm would make them slide under there. That would make them the healthiest stiff in the Morge...

Then the issue of extreme cold can frostbite your nose/lungs if you don't know what you are doing....

Should be warm enough peddling to keep the basic body warm though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks