Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 11:39 AM

3 posts, read 6,040 times

Advertisements

I've taken a job in Fairbanks (Eilson AFB) and will be moving from Texas end of December. I'm geobachin' it and leaving the family here for various reasons. The job is just for a year, at least that's the plan! I don't know anything about the area and need any and all advice ya'll have. I'm thinking of trying to find a house to sit and care for, but I'm willing to rent as well. I am a pilot (former military) and a builder, so taking care of a house and any maintenance issues isn't a problem. I'm bringing my 4WD truck up, going to put a camper shell on it and do the winterization to it, thinking about ferrying it up from Tacoma.
That's about as far as I've gotten in planning. Obviously, this is short fused, so I'm already behind the time line, so any help I get is greatly appreciated. I've been a warm weather guy my whole life, so don't assume I know anything about anything! I am looking forward to coming up and experiencing this adventure. Thanks again in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 12:01 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
The Alaska state ferry leaves from Bellingham, Washington. Big bucks to ship it up that way. If the truck is in good shape it would be quicker and cheaper to drive.

Alaska Marine Highway System (AMHS) :: Official Site :: Alaska DOT&PF

Other resources.

Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - The voice of Interior Alaska since 1903

craigslist: fairbanks classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Old 11-30-2009, 12:59 PM

89 posts, read 340,147 times
Very cold at times. I would get an engine block heater installed on your truck. You may also want to pick up some heat pads(not sure the exact name) but NAPA should sell them. It's been years since I installed any but seems like I used gasket sealer to put them on. They come in different sizes and can be installed on your oil pan,trans. pan,front and rear differentials. Might also do the battery warmer. Nothing worse than a cold vehicle that won't start when it's 40 below. Having your gear boxes warm is much easier on your truck. If you have a garage to park it in that will be a big plus.
Warm clothes. I spent 48 years in Alaska and my feet and hands were always the hardest to keep warm in sub zero weather. Warm hat,boots,gloves,long underware and a good warm coat. cabelas.com should have all that stuff.
Be prepared for short days in the winter. Summers are nice.
Good luck and enjoy the experience!

Old 11-30-2009, 01:59 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/alask...ieson-afb.html

Old 11-30-2009, 05:57 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
Synthetic gear oil front and rear as well as synthetic oil is a must up there.

As others have pointed out, a block heater.
Face and hands protection (seriously)

Check with the AMHS I believe that right now the driver or the vehicle goes from Bellingham to Whittier for free. Bear in mind that getting a trip to Whittier is more costly than Haines but Haines to Fairbanks is weather dependent with dangerous driving conditions (find the plow early and follow them) if you drive. Make reservations in Beaver Creek and Tok in case you need em. Tok has a full service motel and restaurant and can really be an oasis in winter. Other than that carry a sat phone and let people know where you should be....yada yada. have fun. =) Oh and if you drive from Haines you will cross Canada and must have permits for any firearms. They will ask and they WILL search.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:05 PM

I have never carried a Satellite phone in any of my trips. If you do run into trouble, people do actually stop to see if you are okay. The semi drivers also stop to see if you are okay, too.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:10 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
Day after election day last year from Haines to Beaver Creek not a single trailer or car was on the road besides me............just sayin'. safety first.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:31 PM

The Canadians in my opinion take better care of the roads than the American side. The plows are out soon after it starts snowing. When we drove down to Whitehorse last month it was snowing from Haines Junction to the border, plows were out in force.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:07 PM

3 posts, read 6,040 times
Great input, thanks everyone. I'll be in a 4WD truck, will have chains and winterized (heaters, oil, etc...) just wasn't sure about the road conditions. Seems like I should plan on at least 4-5 days? The option is to drop $3k to ferry it and fly up, but if it's reasonable to drive it, I may do that.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:23 PM

Canada and United States Travel - Highway and Road Conditions, Weather, Airports, Ferries, Traffic and Transit

Drive BC

Current Road Conditions - Highways and Public Works - Government of Yukon

http://511.alaska.gov/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks