U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 01:21 AM

218 posts, read 466,151 times

Advertisements

Doing great, have been pretty busy. Wife's loving it so far, so am I and the kids but that was expected. Only close call was her near miss on taking her first dive into the ditch (luckily she recovered and saved it). I keep thinking I should get those studs we bought installed She could have done without all the snow this past week (well, the snow on the roads, on the fields and mountains it's fine hehe) but the darkness hasn't really bothered her as much as she thought it would and it really isn't that bad.

We've met quite a few friends, some from church, some from work and have found everyone so far very welcoming. Bought an older snowmachine '93 Ski-doo but have yet to find a cheap trailer to haul it around on so we've just been riding it around the house from time to time.

Joined a bowling league at the North Bowl, the kids love going and watching the wife and I, and we enjoy getting out every week together. Looking now for somewhere to take the kids swimming, they love to swim. Any pools in the valley that you don't have to buy a $125/month membership for?

I should be lurkin' on the boards a bit more, anyway, enough about me for now funny that the first time I check the boards here in a while there's a dental question
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 05:40 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,024,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskangrown View Post
Fairbanks is crazy as far as dental prices! I paid $1500 for a VERY simple root canal, and the dentist didn't even cap/crown the tooth! I have an exposed filler that hurts like the devil if I chew with it. The dentist told me that the cap would cost another $2000, so my dental insurance is basically maxed out for the next year. Shallow fillings run about $250-350 per filling + materials, so dentistry is ridiculously expensive here.

I did call the surgeons in town, was given the run-around on prices. I have X-rays, but for an "Appraisal" it would cost $300, which is pretty lame just to find out a price. But I was literally given the figure of $8K-$15K by the two surgeons I called, and was told I had to make a $300 appointment to find the real price. And when I got my dental insurance, I thought I was getting a good deal! $2000 a year is almost worthless
That's crazy lol !!

Old 12-19-2009, 07:35 AM

6,992 posts, read 11,172,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakinator View Post
Doing great, have been pretty busy. Wife's loving it so far, so am I and the kids but that was expected. Only close call was her near miss on taking her first dive into the ditch (luckily she recovered and saved it). I keep thinking I should get those studs we bought installed She could have done without all the snow this past week (well, the snow on the roads, on the fields and mountains it's fine hehe) but the darkness hasn't really bothered her as much as she thought it would and it really isn't that bad.

We've met quite a few friends, some from church, some from work and have found everyone so far very welcoming. Bought an older snowmachine '93 Ski-doo but have yet to find a cheap trailer to haul it around on so we've just been riding it around the house from time to time.

Joined a bowling league at the North Bowl, the kids love going and watching the wife and I, and we enjoy getting out every week together. Looking now for somewhere to take the kids swimming, they love to swim. Any pools in the valley that you don't have to buy a $125/month membership for?

I should be lurkin' on the boards a bit more, anyway, enough about me for now funny that the first time I check the boards here in a while there's a dental question
Well now glad to see you checked the forum FINALLY!!! ahhh..(hehehe) just kidding...so glad to hear that your lov'n it so far. Now maybe we can get ya to take pic's???!!! Are you working with someone or set up your own business??? Glad to hear your wife didn't take the plung and ditch dive!!

Old 12-20-2009, 01:11 PM

39 posts, read 65,492 times
Well here is a topic I've had far too much experience with these last few months. Can I ask how old the OP is? I am 29 and just had all 4 wisdom teeth removed oct 28th. The surgeon told me at my age I will need twice as long to heal as most people who get it done in their teens. Well he was sure right it took almost a month for the last hole to close up and even today Dec 20th I still have some pain although it's not stopping me from doing anything anymore.

I had to leave Kansas and move back here to California to get it done because the company I worked for didn't get me insurance (like they promised) and the cash price was going to be around 4K. So I came back home and got it done for 1800. I had one surgeon here refuse to do it because two of them were sitting on top of the nerve. He didn't want the liability. That makes you feel good when the doc is scared to work on you. Anyway I found someone much better and confident about his skills and got it done..(Thanks grandma!)

So if you are my age or older just prepare for a long recovery, and be sure they give you an irrigator because when you start getting food down in those holes oh man does it hurt so you have to blast those food particles out every time you eat.

The problem with going somewhere else to get it done is that you will need at least one checkup so the doc can make sure you are healing properly. But maybe you can have a local doc check it out after but I don't know how they feel about finishing another doctor's job.

Good Luck!

Old 12-20-2009, 06:01 PM

322 posts, read 820,943 times
I lost a tooth due to getting a root canal in Fairbanks and the dentist not telling me that it was very important to get that crown and that the temporary crown was really, really temporary. That dentist wanted to pull my tooth right away without even suggesting the root canal until I asked about other options. That was when I was young and stupid and had just moved to Fairbanks. I was appalled that dentists in America would be urging young people to just get their teeth pulled. I never went back to that dentist and found another. Dr. Sutley took out my wisdom teeth 6 years ago and I paid about $3,000 then and he did a good job. But I think he moved onto plastic surgery.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:32 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,460,309 times
The prices you all quote sound crazy to me. Jeeeezzz... write department of justice or consumer protection about this.
And when in need, buy a plane ticket to Chicago and have my old neighbor do it for you. She was an MD from Poland and found it easier to go to Loyola to get a dentistry degree than to get her MD degree certified in US. Just an option An option to save 10K or more

Are there university schools with dentistry programs in AK? I'll bet there are!
You can probably show up and have your dental work done for free there. As a way for the students to practice.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:26 PM

218 posts, read 466,151 times
There are no dental schools in AK. Closest one is University of Washington. I paid $9 for a hamburger at the Alaska State Fair. Man, I should really write the Consumer Protection Agency over that! It's a conspiracy I'm sure that they didn't allow Wendy's to sell their $1.29 Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger at the fair!

Old 06-15-2015, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 575 times
The above thread was dated in 2009. My son has all wisdom teeth needing to be removed, one or two which are impacted - he will require anesthesia. I can't remember the quote we got from a local oral surgeon...that was almost a year ago...does anyone know what the rate is in Fairbanks now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks