Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2010, 12:38 AM

20,243 posts, read 36,915,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuition View Post
Thanks for all the replies! One thing i'd love to see is a wolf, since they always seem to be hiding when i go to zoos. Well... I'd like to see one from a comfortable distance XD. I'm really interested in seeing all that I can while I'm up there. We're just hoping my husband doesn't get deployed soon after we get there. If he does its gonna get lonely fast!
More than likely he will get deployed, so be prepared.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 12:49 AM

41 posts, read 84,636 times
Yea, I am, we're realists at heart, so we are prepared, but might as well hope. We're coming from drum one of the most deployed bases. so I'm no stranger to it we've just never PCS'd, so we'd like to enjoy alaska together for at least a few months lol. As it stands we don't even have which unit he's going to We're hoping for the aviation unit ( i forget the name >.< ) Oh that on top of he just got back from iraq a couple months ago.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:27 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,756,803 times
Quote:
Yea, I am, we're realists at heart, so we are prepared, but might as well hope. We're coming from drum one of the most deployed bases. so I'm no stranger to it we've just never PCS'd, so we'd like to enjoy alaska together for at least a few months lol. As it stands we don't even have which unit he's going to We're hoping for the aviation unit ( i forget the name >.< ) Oh that on top of he just got back from iraq a couple months ago.
He might be okay for a while, since he just got back, cross your fingers, but remember if he does get deployed, you will be in AK....some thoughts for discussion....

Old 01-23-2010, 02:23 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,692,746 times
welcome to AK!

I say just go for a drive! Try to hit all the roads and explore the little towns along the way.
There is a wonderful Charter Service in Delta Junction called "Easy Does It" Charters. They will take you out to George Lake for some fantastic Pike fishing. The only way to the lake is by boat up the Tanana River and then on a 4 wheeler or jet engine boat up the small river to the lake.
They have handcrafted cabins and feed you wonderful foods like moose roast and stuff.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:53 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,350,805 times
Untitled 3

Here's a link to the place I had told Barkley about......... Not sure how I feel about what they do and the whole selling puppies thing........but since it came up, I thought I'd post the link.

Met that sucks that you lost a Golden like that! There is a carver up the road that I swear has a wolf outside his place. I saw it when we stopped once.......they do have a completely different look in their eyes, they are not dogs.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:48 AM

124 posts, read 275,036 times
Default 108 Hot Springs in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Touristy thing might be to head for Chena Hot Springs east of Fairbanks. It's a wonderful getaway and a great place to see the northern lights!
I was really excited to learn there are so many Hot Springs in Alaska. Over the Christmas holidays I went to Gold Fork Hot Springs in Idaho, up near McCall. It was heavenly. I look forward to exploring some of the different hot springs in Alaska.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:43 AM

41 posts, read 84,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
He might be okay for a while, since he just got back, cross your fingers, but remember if he does get deployed, you will be in AK....some thoughts for discussion....
I'm a little lost here, lol. I'm not sure what you mean?

Old 01-24-2010, 11:13 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,717,754 times
You will be close to Denali National Park, so drive down & take a shuttle bus (not a tour bus) in a few times. Spend time at Tolklat rest stop area. Now, granted I spend many weeks in Denali in the summer to get the wolf views that I have had. We have been seeing a lot of wolves across the road from Tolklat rest stop. There is a creek that comes down into the west branch of the west fork of the Tolklat River. There is a wolf den closure there but I have seen a lot of wolves the past couple of summers since they have a den there. Aside from a lot of distant viewing, twice I actually had wolves walk right by me near there. And a few times wolves walked right through Tolklat rest stop when I was there. I even got to see 3 wolves fighting a mama bear & 2 year old cub over a caribou carcass (the bears won & ran off the wolves) but that was backpacking up the Tolklat. Go down to Denali National Park!

Old 02-08-2010, 01:36 AM

27 posts, read 98,145 times
Default You know the expression "you're not in Kansas anymore"

Well Alaska is going to be an experience like you've never known before if you want it to be. Fairbanks country in the winter, ice fog so thick you can hookie bob into town without being seen (teenagers), temperatures so cold the tires take a little bit to become round again, when you go to the market you have two choices, leave your car running or plug it in at any of the complimentary outlets in the parking lot, the sun comes up at 10ish and goes down just after 2 in the winter and in the summer it doesn't set! The secret to surviving Alaska's winters is to get out of the house when you can and meet some friends that you can really talk to and be honest with. Even in the big cities of Alaska things can feel isolated. The good news is that Alaska has more to offer than you can experience in a lifetime. And you don't have to be a huge outdoor enthusiast to experience it. There are plenty of lodges and b&b's along the way. Alaska has more coastline than the rest of the states but most of it is not accessible. We have a great Marine Highway Ferry system that you can be an Alaskan Tourist on and see quite a bit of the coast. The few highways we do have lead you into the most breathtaking scenery you can ever imagine. The rivers run in every direction and offer some memories only found in a Jack London novel or a Robert Service ballad. And a lot of us up here acknowledge God because it is hard to look around without realizing that it couldn't happen by accident. Alaska is definitely one of His greatest masterpieces and I am thankful and blessed to live here. So come up and be ready to be inspired and overwhelmed.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:05 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,347,296 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies! One thing i'd love to see is a wolf, since they always seem to be hiding when i go to zoos. Well... I'd like to see one from a comfortable distance XD. I'm really interested in seeing all that I can while I'm up there. We're just hoping my husband doesn't get deployed soon after we get there. If he does its gonna get lonely fast!
Wolves and lynx are about the two most hidden critters in Alaska. They prefer not to have any contact with humans, if possible. The only time I have heard of wolves becoming a problem is during winter when they run out of their regular sources of food. Then they get more brazen and start encroaching on human populations. A dog chained up outside is an easy target. They have attacked humans, but that is very rare. You are more likely to be struck by lightening than attacked by wolves. A "comfortable distance" is the best way to view any wild critter.

I think you will find most Alaskans are very friendly and generous. If you make an effort to get out and mingle, I'm certain you will find many friends quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks