Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 05:00 PM

305 posts, read 683,138 times

Advertisements

Don't we all want to find a little romance in the place we're at, the life we're living, the relationship we're in? Romance is Robert Service to some, flowers on the table to others, and an illicit affair to more than a few. Experience is where you find it and what you make of it. Finding the romance of Alaska in no way negates the reality or hardship of it, but for all the frostbite and expense, there are far worse places to make your living and spend your days. Pity him or her whose life is nothing more than just the facts. As for me, I'll take all the embellishment an aurora offers alongside that miserable swarm of mosquitoes. Alaska is truly what you make it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 05:05 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,288,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
On the same token, some of those who have lived all their lives in cold places dream of moving to warm places.
Of course. And others who are happy where they started. So long as people are trying to improve their lives, whatever that means to them, and not step on anyone else while doing so, then good deal. And it's great that people get excited about places and actually make the decision to change their lives and move there. I don't want to live in a place people only move to for perfectly practical reasons. I'm sure that place would be nice, but would it be interesting at all? Hell, my mom moved to Ecuador basically on a whim, and everyone doubted her - everyone - but I've never seen her so happy. I wish everyone could find a place that fit them so well.

There are people with unrealistic ideas about life in general, and Alaska in particular (or some other place - met lots of northerners in Florida who complained constantly about the heat), or who don't know themselves well enough to know when they're getting in over their heads. That's always going to be true, and isn't limited to one place or another. I don't think it applies to anything close to a majority of people though, either here or anywhere else.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:40 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Of course. And others who are happy where they started. So long as people are trying to improve their lives, whatever that means to them, and not step on anyone else while doing so, then good deal. And it's great that people get excited about places and actually make the decision to change their lives and move there. I don't want to live in a place people only move to for perfectly practical reasons. I'm sure that place would be nice, but would it be interesting at all? Hell, my mom moved to Ecuador basically on a whim, and everyone doubted her - everyone - but I've never seen her so happy. I wish everyone could find a place that fit them so well.

There are people with unrealistic ideas about life in general, and Alaska in particular (or some other place - met lots of northerners in Florida who complained constantly about the heat), or who don't know themselves well enough to know when they're getting in over their heads. That's always going to be true, and isn't limited to one place or another. I don't think it applies to anything close to a majority of people though, either here or anywhere else.
Tigre,

Have you considered other reasons I mentioned? My main point is that a lot of people who move to Alaska, or just desire to move, are influenced by what they see on TV, read on books, and so forth. And yes, for some there are practical reasons to move. For example: getting a job they have already applied for and attained, company work move, etc. All you have to do is to read all the threads about TV shows people from the lower-48 watch, and their desire to come to Alaska to do the same work (crab and salmon fishing with Captain Joe, and so forth). It's hilarious sometimes. Ones desires or dreams are good, but are still illusions. What is practical is to just prepare oneself for the move (acquire the cash needed, etc.), and then do it. That's practical Something else that's practical in relation to getting a job: between AK and ND the most practical place is ND because of its 3% unemployment rate. But wanting to move to Alaska because of the fluffy snow, mild weather, or because the streets up here are paved with gold, or because the people are nice and plump, or because they wear Carthartts, or are gay (happy)...these are only illusions. Some people have posted here asking questions about race problems in Alaska because their place has been overtaken with people from other races, and seek moving here with their own race

Something else: the person who complains about things where they are, will also complain about something else wherever they go.

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-30-2011 at 09:03 PM..

Old 07-30-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidelines View Post
Don't we all want to find a little romance in the place we're at, the life we're living, the relationship we're in? Romance is Robert Service to some, flowers on the table to others, and an illicit affair to more than a few. Experience is where you find it and what you make of it. Finding the romance of Alaska in no way negates the reality or hardship of it, but for all the frostbite and expense, there are far worse places to make your living and spend your days. Pity him or her whose life is nothing more than just the facts. As for me, I'll take all the embellishment an aurora offers alongside that miserable swarm of mosquitoes. Alaska is truly what you make it.
Very nice

But one can just replace "Alaska" with "Siberia" (or Canada) without changing the meaning of your poem.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:17 PM

RedJacket:
Abandon Hope?
http://www.bellsalaska.com/hope.html

Old 07-30-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Tigre,

Have you considered other reasons I mentioned? My main point is that a lot of people who move to Alaska, or just desire to move, are influenced by what they see on TV, read on books, and so forth. And yes, for some there are practical reasons to move. For example: getting a job they have already applied for and attained, company work move, etc. All you have to do is to read all the threads about TV shows people from the lower-48 watch, and their desire to come to Alaska to do the same work (crab and salmon fishing with Captain Joe, and so forth). It's hilarious sometimes. Ones desires or dreams are good, but are still illusions. What is practical is to just prepare oneself for the move (acquire the cash needed, etc.), and then do it. That's practical Something else that's practical in relation to getting a job: between AK and ND the most practical place is ND because of its 3% unemployment rate. But wanting to move to Alaska because of the fluffy snow, mild weather, or because the streets up here are paved with gold, or because the people are nice and plump, or because they wear Carthartts, or are gay (happy)...these are only illusions. Some people have posted here asking questions about race problems in Alaska because their place has been overtaken with people from other races, and seek moving here with their own race
Sorry, I'm just not with you on this one. You're equating things like watching TV shows with doing actual research about the characteristics of an area and deciding those characteristics fit your personality, goals, interests, etc. The major problem with the town I live in is that so many people are here for jobs and didn't move because they wanted fluffy snow, mild(ish) weather, and all the outdoor opportunities we have (or maybe they did, but now their interests have changed but they're stuck here because they don't want to move their kids or leave their job, which are fairly practical reasons to stay). So now they're here for a practical reason, but they complain all the time about the gloomy weather, the heaps of snow in their driveways, the long drive to Anchorage, etc. A job may be a good reason to live somewhere, but it doesn't mean you'll like that place when you're not working. Seems like a bad way to live your life to me, if you have any choice about it.

And I'm talking about real people that I know, not the occasional nut job or random starry-eyed person on the internet who's probably never actually going to move here.

Quote:
Something else: the person who complains about things where they are, will also complain about something else wherever they go.
Don't agree again. There are legitimate reasons for complaining, if a place doesn't suit you. A country person in the city will complain about traffic and crowds. Does that mean they'll complain about the country too? Maybe if they're just a miserable person, but not if they're just suited to the country instead of the city.

Last edited by tigre79; 07-30-2011 at 09:35 PM..

Old 07-30-2011, 09:50 PM

Just read the posts in this thread, Tigre

Old 07-30-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Just read the posts in this thread, Tigre
Yeah, I can read. And some people are a bit poetic or excitable. Others aren't. Diversity is a good thing, otherwise we'd all be perfectly practical people living in North Dakota, and probably missing a whole lot of really cool things in life. Throw me in with the impractical people. I moved here because I loved it, because it was a mystery I wanted to spend my life solving. Heck, I live in a town where I can't even get a decent job in my field. Why? Love, for starters; it's my boyfriend's home and so it is mine also. But also the mountains that dive straight into the sea and go on further than you can imagine, the heaps of snow, the openness and lack of people, and the hearty friendliness of the ones who choose to be here, even most of those who would rather be somewhere else.

Last edited by tigre79; 07-30-2011 at 10:20 PM..

Old 07-30-2011, 11:09 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,903,826 times
I moved up here with stars in my eyes. Of course I did my research first. One does not negate the other. Also, having moved around a LOT through out my life, including a stint up here when I was 11, I think that I am pretty knowledgable about how different locations can be. It was no surprise, even though I got here in the dead of winter, Christmas Eve 2003. My bubble was not and is not burst. I am still in love with Alaska but most specifically the interior.

It is strange because I recently went on a week long fishing trip out of Seward with some friends. All that majestic beauty, as much as any one could want, even gorgeous weather, did not have the power over me that the interior does. Don't ask me why, I don't know. Maybe it's just that for me, the interior has magic that speaks to my heart. I am satisfied here. I never had these feelings about any other place even though I have lived in some of the most beautiful places in the country. It's great to be in love with the place you live. I'm glad I finally found it.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
I moved up here with stars in my eyes. Of course I did my research first. One does not negate the other. Also, having moved around a LOT through out my life, including a stint up here when I was 11, I think that I am pretty knowledgable about how different locations can be. It was no surprise, even though I got here in the dead of winter, Christmas Eve 2003. My bubble was not and is not burst. I am still in love with Alaska but most specifically the interior.

It is strange because I recently went on a week long fishing trip out of Seward with some friends. All that majestic beauty, as much as any one could want, even gorgeous weather, did not have the power over me that the interior does. Don't ask me why, I don't know. Maybe it's just that for me, the interior has magic that speaks to my heart. I am satisfied here. I never had these feelings about any other place even though I have lived in some of the most beautiful places in the country. It's great to be in love with the place you live. I'm glad I finally found it.
I agree with you on this. While there are beautiful regions throughout Alaska, the great expanse and beauty of the interior's landscape is my favorite because I enjoy open spaces and the the constant change of the foliage. But the most beautiful landscape for me is in the Fall from mid September to mid October. For others, however, other regions of Alaska are the most beautiful.

I moved to Alaska over 30 years ago with the military, and retired here. But have been in a lot of other beautiful places throughout the US. Plattsburgh, NY is another beautiful place, specially in the Fall when the green color maple-covered landscape turns to rust and yellow colors. The same for Burlington, VT, and most of the Northernmost towns across the US. You can also see the same sort of landscape throughout Canada.

I have also lived in Northern CA where some areas are of incredible beauty, and so around Washington State, Oregon, etc. Some of the arid regions of Arizona are spectacular, too. I have also lived in the Bronx, NY, Hartford, have traveled through NJ, and in all found beauty here and there. Can't complain of any, and the same goes for Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks