Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 03:31 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times

Advertisements

That is the truest; brought tears into my eyes.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 03:58 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Its a completely different scenario in ND, since this State is very involved in oil production, so it's economy is doing quite well compared to Alaska and the rest of the nation.
ND has the only state-owned bank in the nation and that's played a role in keeping their economy humming right along.

As a state-owned bank, ND invested in their own economy as opposed to investing in the alphabet soup of mortgage-related derivative assets held by large global banks.

The banking crisis of 2008 hardly affected them at all, while it wreaked havoc on the other 49 states. Some more than others.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:23 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
ND has the only state-owned bank in the nation and that's played a role in keeping their economy humming right along.

As a state-owned bank, ND invested in their own economy as opposed to investing in the alphabet soup of mortgage-related derivative assets held by large global banks.

The banking crisis of 2008 hardly affected them at all, while it wreaked havoc on the other 49 states. Some more than others.
Good points.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:24 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post

Yeah, North Dakota is a state that most people rarely even think about, but it's a great place, really. Most people, when I mention ND, they say something like, "North Dakota? God I would forget the Dakotas are there if they weren't on a map," or something to that effect. That has also worked in their favor. A friend of mine who grew up in a place called Devils Lake, ND and then moved to Fargo and then moved away to Montana said that he never appreciated how great ND is until he left. I'd like to get up there again; I've only been once, and I loved it.

I sure do hope Tidelines sees my previous post...

Old 07-31-2011, 04:31 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Yeah, North Dakota is a state that most people rarely even think about, but it's a great place, really. Most people, when I mention ND, they say something like, "North Dakota? God I would forget the Dakotas are there if they weren't on a map," or something to that effect. That has also worked in their favor. A friend of mine who grew up in a place called Devils Lake, ND and then moved to Fargo and then moved away to Montana said that he never appreciated how great ND is until he left. I'd like to get up there again; I've only been once, and I loved it.

I sure do hope Tidelines sees my previous post...
This is some 2010 news about the ND's economy and growth, but still holds true:
10 fastest growing states - North Dakota (1) - CNNMoney

Old 07-31-2011, 06:11 PM

305 posts, read 682,795 times
Quote:
This is one thing that worries me a bit, but I think it was actually 1stimestar who said (regarding Fairbanks and the interior), "This place has a learning curve." And I believe she said she thought I would do just fine, but I won't quote her on that one. But I have a question for you, tidelines: how does one get "initiated"? How does one learn how to partially live off the land, to have, as you say, "a foot in subsistence"? Methinks it would be best to have a person to teach you, but how do you go about finding someone to teach you something that you can hardly describe? Basically, other than time, how does one go from being "the uninitiated" to "the initiated"?

And also, the kind of subsistence-ish stuff you do in the interior, is it even possible in the Mat-Su and Kenai areas anymore, or is it exclusive to the interior? This question sorts of pries at what it is exactly that you're doing that is subsistence-related, so if you would rather keep it private, I would completely understand that. My idea of being "a little bit subsistence-ish" is heating my home (at least mostly) with wood that I chopped, trying to hunt and eat wild game when possible, etc.
Time and patience, and a willingness to learn by observing both. Initiation is something of experience, whatever it may be. It's not an overnight thing, but of learning and doing and redoing and learning more. There's where you succeed up here. If we could all do it by reading, we'd have a less rich experience. As far as subsistence, the gamut is great. I don't live a pre-Industrial Revolution life. If you hunt, fish, have the means to preserve, amuse and sustain yourself in the outdoors, you're well into the learning curve, the experience, the initiation into life here. The key to disaster and failure is not planning for weather, distance, and time. Prepare for the likelihood of all three working against you and make wise choices, informed decisions. All that you read about the boy in the bus is about a failure to consider those three elements. As much as I cite the beauty of this life, in no way do I downplay the hazards. I can tell you stories of those, too, but they're built of serious survival and nothing of daydreams.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:33 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,875,072 times
Default OMG Devils Lake ... :)

Quote:
A friend of mine who grew up in a place called Devils Lake, ND and then moved to Fargo and then moved away to Montana said that he never appreciated how great ND is until he left. I'd like to get up there again; I've only been once, and I loved it....
In my MUCH younger years I played in a band/ bass and vocals.. we were booked in Devils Lake ND (Silver Dollar Salon).... flat land... blowing snow and it was 40 below. Maybe that's why you like it there ship .

Fairbanks has its share of wind in the winter so I know you can appreciate it.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:51 PM

Default I'm so sorry about your job..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Yes the realities are just that, very, very real. And sometimes things are extremely difficult, more so then they would be in other locations. The job market is pretty much crap as I sit here still on unemployment after loosing my job of 6 years. The job I loved and planned on retiring from, it was heartbreaking to loose it... The realities are that while plowing through the fresh snow with an awesome snow machine means that you have to make enough money to live on AND have left over money for toys, not a reality for many. Hiking, backpacking, hunting, fishing; all the wonderful things to do here, still cost money. The cost of living is high. I could be living quite comfortably on this much unemployment in say, Oklahoma or Alabama. But then, I would also be living in Oklahoma or Alabama. I would much rather be on the poor side here then on the more comfortable side there. I do have hope though. I am well educated, have a lot of skills, and am pretty resourcfull. I know the job market is craptastic in other places too.
I do wish you well in your job search. I know you live in Fairbanks but Alaska Housing Finance Corporation (AHFC) has a few job listings. Not sure what your back ground is but they pay pretty well and with state benefits. I've been without work a few different times after I turned 50... it was very Crappy... my prayers are with you 1stimestar..

Old 07-31-2011, 08:10 PM

Default I am looking forward to being that student...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidelines View Post
Life here is difficult for the uninitiated, those unfamiliar with the nuances of Alaska. Be it weather, logistics, politics, customs, economy -- all factors must be considered into the plan for success or the result of failure. As mentioned, for me it is easier because it's a familiar life, my own, with little else to wish for or compare it to. I can, however, contrast it to the lives of those I don't wish to emulate.

I like knowing the hunting and fishing regulations, how to take advantage of the bounty of the land, how to harvest and lay in and prepare. I like knowing which is a good road and which leads to regret, and have plenty of curiosity for the destination I can prepare for. My life is a good one, with a foot in subsistence and living off the land and by my wits as well as functioning in the business and working ends of mining, medicine, and society. I can meet and greet as representative of my work, and turn myself into a hermit with ease when I want to escape. Not everyone is comfortable with that combination, many feel the need to choose between one lifestyle or the other, but having had the experience that enables me to meld the two has put me in a good place.

Folks coming here with the Spell of the Yukon imagery instead of a realistic attitude of what hard work it will take to survive will not. Food and freight are expensive. Being responsible for your survival is still necessary. Expecting the government to support you is the same bane here as it is there, wherever "there" might be. People will be people, unless they're self-sufficient, independent, resourceful and wise, far different from what the majority of our United States citizenry is made up of these days.

My poetic nature comes naturally because I see the beauty surrounding me. Other writing stems from frustration, loneliness, or even arrogance. If I write and share, it's for feedback. If I write and keep private, it's an expression of the inner, secret me. Sometimes I'll share that years later; perhaps I'll destroy it to avoid painful memories; other words remind me I'm mistaken and prone to wrongness, but it all comes from a person like any other, just more willing to be heard and accept commentary on a life.

I think if every wayward soul had the capacity, capability, and means to live my life, we'd have a happier society. There's no good reason to discourage a dream.
My decission for relocation is not from "TV" or books or reading about other's adventures. I've been searching for a home that I can learn to use the bounty of the land... I'm not moving with any "stars" in my eyes. I expect hardwork... "reap what ye shall sow".. I've never taken handouts.. I've been the one to hold my hand out to others even when I was down.

I do love your posts and I am one that can talk with anyone... love ALL people but I too love to be a hermit and contemplate on things for hours. I do come up with some amazing plans during those times though LOL... I hope that I do get to realize my new home... YES if not soon it will be no longer then 2 years. My favorite part of visiting Juneau was meeting many of the shop owners... they've lived there for generations... She helped me make a few items from carved aged ivory, tie the slip knot... I remember her kindness and will for the rest of my days.... yes and met her daughter too... yes I know I was a customer but she went above and beyond the sale... have a great evening...

Old 07-31-2011, 08:15 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Very well put RayinAK and Tidelines... Since I can't rep either of you anymore, figured I would praise in public!

Ship - Never say never with kids... Never thought I would want them when I was young either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks