Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 02:05 PM

12 posts, read 30,690 times

Advertisements

I am applying to UAF for graduate school in anthropology, and am weighing UAF against a few other schools which I have been accepted to. I was wondering what would be standout traits for a twenty-something moving to Fairbanks with a very young child, a dog, and who is also an avid outdoor enthusiast. (From Maine, very familiar with cold, though not to the extent you Alaskans are.)
Any info on what is in the city of Fairbanks, what the atmosphere is like? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 02:34 PM

12 posts, read 30,690 times
Default Rephrased Question!

Sorry, I can't figure out how to edit the title of that post. I have found several threads answering my question. However the other question I had was how is it living in a dry cabin with a toddler? The amount of cleaning and all that, along with just general life--where do people shower? Sounds silly, but I'm curious!

Old 04-23-2010, 03:32 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveTen1988 View Post
Sorry, I can't figure out how to edit the title of that post. I have found several threads answering my question. However the other question I had was how is it living in a dry cabin with a toddler? The amount of cleaning and all that, along with just general life--where do people shower? Sounds silly, but I'm curious!
A dry cabin with a toddler is a relatively bad idea. The infant mortality rate in Alaska's bush areas is several times the national average, and the specific reason is the lack of running water and proper sewage disposal.

I've spent a few years living in a "dry cabin". It isn't a bad deal for an adult. But it is sort of an art too, and developing a fetish for washing your hands with isopropyl alcohol or something similar would be highly recommended. But learning how to do it with a child at any age, least of all a toddler, is just unhealthy.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:01 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,903,059 times
I disagree with it being dangerous. We haul water and have plenty to wash our hands with. There are plenty of dry cabins in the Fairbanks area so there are services in Fairbanks that supports cabin dwellers. If you want to read about real life in a dry cabin (and I have TWO kids) feel free to read my blog. It's fairly new but will give you a good idea on the basics of living waterless.
Alaska, The Madness

Last edited by 1stimestar; 04-23-2010 at 10:31 PM..

Old 04-23-2010, 10:07 PM

70 posts, read 222,140 times
One option if you are considering living in a dry cabin is to consider a membership to the Alaska Club in Fairbanks. They run a special in the fall for discounted access to their mega gym facility with showers - some families living in dry cabins sign up for this and go to the Alaska Club for showers and general warming up (without ever going into the gym proper)! But you may be able to access UAF facilities to the same end. How young is your young child? Families do it. But dry cabins are a PITA in my opinion.

Student housing may be difficult (more the dog issue than the kid issue). But you may be able to find a rental or sublease through the student housing office or on the Fairbanks Daily News Miner website.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:11 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,883,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zayetz View Post
One option if you are considering living in a dry cabin is to consider a membership to the Alaska Club in Fairbanks. They run a special in the fall for discounted access to their mega gym facility with showers - some families living in dry cabins sign up for this and go to the Alaska Club for showers and general warming up (without ever going into the gym proper)! But you may be able to access UAF facilities to the same end. How young is your young child? Families do it. But dry cabins are a PITA in my opinion.

Student housing may be difficult (more the dog issue than the kid issue). But you may be able to find a rental or sublease through the student housing office or on the Fairbanks Daily News Miner website.
I would hate to have to go to a public place to bathe, especially with children. I'd feel like I needed to clean up to clean up! Maybe for the little ones get one of those small buckets or tubs and boil up some hauled water at home.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:36 PM

204 posts, read 472,125 times
Are you absolutely set to staying in a dry cabin? I think it would be great to experience it, but after you've been up there awhile. You don't want to stay in one during your very first Alaskan winter, do you? I think you can do it if that's what you really wanted to do, though. I'm also headed to UAF this Fall, but I plan on staying on campus for my first year. How old's your little one?

As far as what to do in Alaska, from what I've found out it seems to be a mecca of sorts for us Outdoorsy types. lol Fishing, hunting, skiing, rock/ice climbing, canoeing... And then when you're all burnt out and need to relax, there's some hot springs nearby to rejuvenate your weary body.

Also been reading and hearing about some good places to eat in Fairbanks. I'm a sucker for ice cream (even in the winter) so Hot Licks has got my name all over it. Also, there's a Thai joint and Collegetown Pizza is supposed to be pretty good, too.

Overall, I think you'd enjoy UAF, especially if you'll be majoring in a Science area. By the way, what's your major going to be?

P.S. 1stimestar, thanks for the link to your blog. I'll be sure to read up on it.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:43 PM

I have my own shower set up at home. It was easy to make. It's not that much trouble and takes up very little space.
Showers and moose trottings. « Alaska, The Madness

Old 04-24-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAFBoundYankee View Post

P.S. 1stimestar, thanks for the link to your blog. I'll be sure to read up on it.
Thanks. I just posted a huge trip report from backpacking in ANWR so the dry cabin stuff is below that.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:04 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,476,317 times
Default Fairbanks Foodie Places

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAFBoundYankee View Post
Also been reading and hearing about some good places to eat in Fairbanks. I'm a sucker for ice cream (even in the winter) so Hot Licks has got my name all over it. Also, there's a Thai joint and Collegetown Pizza is supposed to be pretty good, too.
If you're up there during the late spring/summer, you have to try the cinnamon rolls at Bun on the Run. They are the absolute best I've ever had and I'm a cinnamon roll connoisseur/foodie. Two thumbs up! Don't remember exactly when they open each year but they really are not to be missed.

Bun on a Run operates out of a small travel trailer on the opposite (north) side of College Road very near Hot Licks, just a little further away from the campus in the Beaver Sports parking lot. Whenever we get back up to Fairbanks stopping there at least once if not more during our visit is a must do.

Also try the cookie sandwich at Hot Licks - nothing much better than some great vanilla ice cream or other flavor between two large chocolate chip cookies.

In addition, you need to drive out toward Harding Lake on the Richardson Highway and stop at the Knotty Shop along the way (in the Salcha area). Very good ice cream there as well. Can't miss the place; just stop where you see the giant mosquito out front. Yes, even bigger than the ones flying around. Besides the ice cream there's all sorts of interesting Alaskana junk...er...collectibles that are fun to look through even if you aren't into buying that sort of stuff.

Man, now my keyboard's all wet from my drooling over the memories of all the good healthy food I dearly remember from my Fairbanks years. That's why you need to stay active up there; so you can also partake in the epicurian delights. Not fine dining in some folks' mind, but it tastes mighty fine.

You may have already heard about Sourdough Sam's (recently burnt down but then rebuilt, also very close to the University) and the Bakery (on the other end of College Road close to downtown). Both are very good places to go for breakfast.

Other places on our dining list when we visit are the Pump House (good all around food, great ambience, riverside outdoor patio on the south side of the Chena) on Chena Pump Road, and the Turtle Club (great steaks and prime rib, large portioons) out near Fox. Pikes (on Airport Road on the north side of the Chena) also has a riverside patio, gets a lot of traffic and is pretty good, but I like the Pump House better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks