Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 04:50 PM

3 posts, read 5,857 times

Advertisements

No, businesses NEVER close because of the cold. Schools may close because of blizzards or ice storms. Everybody pretty much operates as usual during the daytime, adapting as necessary to conditions. If you get stuck in the snow or your car doesn't start, people are pretty good about stopping to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 04:59 PM

3 posts, read 5,857 times
If you're moving across country, I'd recommend selling your stuff. Think, when you pay to move them you're paying for them all over again. I'm moving back up north, matter of fact, and we're getting rid of pretty much everything except memorabilia and some things we can't bear to part with. We've bought a lot of stuff at second-hand shops over the years and have acquired some very nice stuff cheaply that way. There are lots of good second-hand shops and antique shops there, and garage sales during the summer.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:41 PM

137 posts, read 423,855 times
Yeah I would sell your stuff and just buy furniture and everything at a thrift store or a used furniture store or on the Fargo craigslist. I didn't bring any of my furniture with me when I moved back to ND last year.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:15 PM

147 posts, read 309,841 times
Moving costs are too high. Sell the stuff and start over once you get to Fargo.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:00 PM

19 posts, read 56,986 times
wanderer37,

As someone who grew up in Fargo-Moorhead, you pretty much won't find many "bad" neighborhoods. Yes, there are a few areas not as good as others, but for the most part, you will have your pick of many great neighborhoods. Also, the people for the most part are really friendly. Living in CA, that's one thing I miss about the area.

The weather is cold during the winter, no doubt, but if you learn to love hockey you'll steamroll right through the winter months!

Old 03-09-2011, 05:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,851 times
whoever said -30 does not happen every winter, is definitley not a native. -30 absolutley happens here in Fargo every winter. It is called windchill. The actual temp may rarely be -30, but the windchill ( which means: what it feels like out side), will reach -30's every winter. It is usually in January and an overnight low. However, there are plenty more days with - 15 windchill, that make January and February unbearable. We always start winter with good expectations and high hopes, and then crash into despair by the first of March. Winter is long and tough, no joke. Nothing ever closes and you have to get up every monring and start the cars and shovel. Most advice will say to embrace the winter and its activities...but these are not places with bitter bone chilling cold. We suffer Seasonal Disorder and Cabin Fever this time of year. The rest of the year can very on whether it will ever really be able to call it a hot day. Keep in mind I am writing this becuase it is March and I am indeed affected. The rest of the year, we enjoy a peaceful slow going life. Excellent Health Care and School Systems. We never really felt the so-called almost recession. ND is ranked the safest state in the nation. Read the book " How Fargo of you". We are helpful, considerate, ethical, people. The kids can play outside for hours with no worries. Very little crime, and it is never random, it is the company you keep. Like they say the cols weather keeps out the Rif-Raf. The only two neighborhoods that may be less than desireable are the Madison and Jefferson school districts.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:12 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,979,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afargo View Post
whoever said -30 does not happen every winter, is definitley not a native. -30 absolutley happens here in Fargo every winter. It is called windchill. The actual temp may rarely be -30, but the windchill ( which means: what it feels like out side), will reach -30's every winter. It is usually in January and an overnight low. However, there are plenty more days with - 15 windchill, that make January and February unbearable.
That was me and I have been working as meteorologist forecasting for the area for 13 years. The -30 was in regards to the actual temp....not wind chill of course. The post I was answering was in regards to -30F temp which is usually meant in regards to temp.

dan

Old 03-15-2011, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,746 times
I've lived in Fargo all of my life. ND has an income surplus and as such the school systems such as Fargo and West Fargo are in pretty good shape. Moorhead, sister city in Minnesota, not so much because of the Minnesota budget shortfall. There are several rental companies to rent from including Property Resources Group, Hegenes, Valley Rental, etc. Check their web sites to see if there are any rent incentives, etc. that may make then more attractive. Southwest Fargo is where most of the growth is going on and it joins up with south West Fargo. Apply not only for teaching positions but for substitute teaching positions too. It gets you in the system. Do a search for Fargo and West Fargo Public Schools for employment information. We do have a Macys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of: