Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 PM

87 posts, read 212,215 times

Advertisements

Fargo and ND on a whole is very very very conserative.....cops on every corner...new jails being built.........a police state......people there friendly???? ahaha wow....they are the most standoffish, reserved Scandanavians in the USA....Fargo is for the fargonians....that is it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 09:13 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,968,752 times
Article in todays Forum on one persons positive experience moving to Fargo

VIDEO: Faces of Our Community: Transplant to Upper Midwest falls in love with Fargo | INFORUM | Fargo, ND

Old 02-20-2013, 10:56 PM

993 posts, read 1,760,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietrain View Post
Fargo and ND on a whole is very very very conserative.....cops on every corner...new jails being built.........a police state......people there friendly???? ahaha wow....they are the most standoffish, reserved Scandanavians in the USA....Fargo is for the fargonians....that is it
I believe this thread is about people who moved to Fargo. Your impressions based on a visit are not worth $0.02.

I can understand not liking a place, but you seem to be on a mission to just bash the midwest. I just don't understand why. I understand that it's not your thing (it's not a lot of people's thing), but that isn't a reason to bash it in pretty much every post you make. It makes people think "different" about you.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:59 PM

231 posts, read 871,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietrain View Post

Didn't you recently move to New Hampshire after living in Seattle for 15 years? How does that qualify you to speak on behalf of people who have recently moved to Fargo ND?

Old 03-15-2013, 06:45 AM

87 posts, read 212,215 times
I have lived in Fargo..I would never go back there....but that is just my humble opinion. Others may find it to be there little slice of paradise....if so...good for them.

Last edited by quietrain; 03-15-2013 at 07:15 AM..

Old 04-07-2013, 08:05 PM

3 posts, read 6,242 times
>Fargo and ND on a whole is very very very conserative.....cops on every corner...new jails being built.........a police state......people there friendly???? ahaha wow....they are the most standoffish, reserved Scandanavians in the USA....Fargo is for the fargonians....that is it

I whole-heatedly agree. I recently relocated here for work for an awesome paying job. Worst decision of my life. I'm paying my landlord thousands of dollars to buy out of my lease and will be looking forward ecstatically to going back to a minimum wage job or unemployment+homelessness back down south. I've lived all over the midwest and met all kinds of great people in Illinois/Indiana/Ohio, and I've never seen such a [Mod cut]. Don't be lured by the low unemployment rate and high paying jobs, it's much better to be homeless or on the verge someplace where there's a tiny bit of warmth and some culture.

Want more reasons? Nearly 100% white, brutal and extended winters (it's still mostly below freezing), sex ratio is completely out of whack (and even if it wasn't -- abortion is in the process of being outlawed, have fun with your unwanted kids), cops stop anyone who looks like they don't fit the stereotypical bill (seen it done on the street many times). Come here when you're desperate to make quick bucks to pay off your mortgage or get out of debt, that's the only thing that could possibly motivate an outsider to stay here for any length of time. Also, those who say this place is great for kids? Ha ha, do you want your kid growing up in a 1950s suburban dream world protected bubble?

If you're not white -- forget it. I've rarely seen a non-white person in a supervisory or management job here, and it's part of the very subtle "outsider" status you'll have. North Dakotans are very friendly but there are very subtle reasons why you'll be rejected by the greater community, even if you are white and act like you're from the 1950s.

Sorry, but I have a serious axe to grind. I gave this place a chance. The only positive thing I have to say is this place was economically a god-send in saving me when I was a couple weeks from being broke and homeless.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-07-2013 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 04-08-2013, 08:55 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,098,127 times
Police on every corner?
New jails being built?

I'm going to have to call baloney on that.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:04 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,926,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Police on every corner?
New jails being built?

I'm going to have to call baloney on that.
Maybe there is a reason?

Old 04-08-2013, 10:28 AM

12 posts, read 23,311 times
I have to disagree with you on that one, I am for African American, and I lived in Minot,ND. I came up here from Texas to driver the vac truck in the oil patch, I drove for 2 year and was promoted to supervisor in which I have been for 1 year now. Now the locals has been very nice to my family and i, my landlord lives right behind my house and she is an 70 or 80 old sweetheart, I brought my wife and mom up here up live and work, they both are very happy. Now since I been up here I have experience the great snow storm of 2010 and the Great mouse river flood of 2011. Now my wife and I were homeless because of the flood and locals came out and feds us warm meals, has given us code to sleep on and warm blankets, this people actually show that care, and that touch my heart. I think if you look hard enough you can find good and bad everywhere. I have decided to make my Minot my home and even though its cold as heck it is durable.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:01 PM

3 posts, read 6,242 times
I agree about Minot, ND. I've been out there and it is indeed a great place full of diverse people. Fargo, that is the place I have serious serious issues with. I actually wanted to move to Minot but I can't afford to car so I'm heading back down south where public transit is prevalent (couldn't get an oil co. to hire me without a vehicle).

As far as prisons, I don't know if any are being built, but i agree with the sentiment of what that guy was saying. What he said about the police and police state is 100% factual, however.

The oil town are just different altogether, because they're mostly made up of outsiders. They're good places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo