Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 04:00 PM

27 posts, read 59,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Lillibeth, There is very little shopping in Jamestown. Very small community. Go to the Jamestown home page.You'll wind up driving the 90 miles to Bismarck to shop occasionally. I swear by Blizzak snow tires. the reason 2 wheel drive is bad is if it is rear wheel. a 2 wheel drive Ram truck?...Not gonna be a good thing, hard to explain, but you will see if you are on snowy roads. Put some weight in the back, several bags of sand is what most folks do. You can usually get that at a menards, or hardware hank. Front wheel, honda's, smaller cars seems safer for driving in snow, in my experience, because the steering is in the front. 4 wheel drives are helpful, but some folks drive faster because they have a false sense of security. In my experience, ice is not predictable, doesn't matter if you have a 4 wheel drive car or not, if you go into a skid on icy roads.
We have lived a small town rural setting before, for years...so in a way, 14,000 sounds kinda big! But here in East Texas, the next closest community is usually not quite so far. But looking at their website, I see there is a movie threatre in town!! That would be so great, to live in a town with it's own movie threatre!!! Exciting!!..Yes we are hillbillys!!!

So it sounds like we might just want to unlaod the Ram, for something 4WDR. Neither my husband or myself has ever driven in any snowy/icy conditions..so prolly best to have the 4WDR I am thinkin'...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 08:17 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillibeth View Post
O'gosh I think you told me exactly what we needed to know!..Ok stupid question, but just to be clear...if we do the 'added sand solution' will our 2WDR truck be adequate or should we sell it prior to moving for a 4WDR?..see we really do not have the means to incur any additional monthly payments. So if we can just weight our Ram that would be great. I assume we would be doing mostly intown driving.
Any advice regarding a mini-van?
I appreciate all this valuable info, Thanks!
Lillibeth

I grew up in ND, drove for 11 years before moving. While there I never had a 4WD or a front wheel drive.

I had a 2WD truck with snow tires and lots of weight and it got me around.

Now I am living in Iowa. Winter here can be cold and snowy, but usually doesn't last as long as in ND. I drive a 2WD with studded snow tires and it gets me along just fine, but I put at least 4 seventy pound sand bags in the back. They cost around $3 each.

I hope things work out for you.

Edit to add: I mention all this because you said you don't want to incur any additional payments. If you can get a 4WD within your budget, it would probably be better.

Last edited by Greg_IA; 12-29-2011 at 08:31 PM..

Old 12-30-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
Lillibeth

I grew up in ND, drove for 11 years before moving. While there I never had a 4WD or a front wheel drive.

I had a 2WD truck with snow tires and lots of weight and it got me around.

Now I am living in Iowa. Winter here can be cold and snowy, but usually doesn't last as long as in ND. I drive a 2WD with studded snow tires and it gets me along just fine, but I put at least 4 seventy pound sand bags in the back. They cost around $3 each.

I hope things work out for you.

Edit to add: I mention all this because you said you don't want to incur any additional payments. If you can get a 4WD within your budget, it would probably be better.

Greg-
Ideally, we do not (dang near can not) want to take on any additional monthly financial obligations.
So it sounds like, it is a real option..to invest in tires and sand bags.
Thank you for the reply..My husband and myself have been very torn regarding our vehicles. He drives the truck, I have a minivan. If we did get a 4WDR, we have to go down to 1 vehicle, that is a hard transition with us both working and kids to tote around.
Again I appreciate all the info, all the best to you in 2012!

Old 12-30-2011, 09:46 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillibeth View Post
Greg-
Ideally, we do not (dang near can not) want to take on any additional monthly financial obligations.
So it sounds like, it is a real option..to invest in tires and sand bags.
Thank you for the reply..My husband and myself have been very torn regarding our vehicles. He drives the truck, I have a minivan. If we did get a 4WDR, we have to go down to 1 vehicle, that is a hard transition with us both working and kids to tote around.
Again I appreciate all the info, all the best to you in 2012!
Hi there

I moved up here in 1998 from the south. I personally wouldnt worry about not having a 4WD truck. Like Greg said....if your truck now is in good shape, then put some tubes of sand in the back and good tires and you will be ok. I know many who have 2WD trucks and do this and they dont have any problems. A good set of all season tires is a must....but I wouldnt go for the studded tires...I dont know if I have ever seen them (I live in the city of Grand Forks). I you plan on living in rural areas and will have to drive a lot of rural highways then snow tires might be worthwhile. We have a 07 Odyssey mini-van with all season tires and it works fine. I know many with other types of min-vans and they are ok. They are a bit lower sitting than a truck (meaning a bit lower above ground) and thus you are a bit more prone to get stuck of travelling before a road is plowed.

Dan

Old 12-30-2011, 10:04 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,194 times
You don't have to go with studded tires, but even non-studded winter/snow tires are better than all-season radials.

I was going to post a video [Mod cut] that compares snow vs all-season tires, but I guess new members can't post links.

[Mod cut]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 12-30-2011 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: New users cannot post links. Then you come back and post it again.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:12 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,965 times
No doubt snow tires would be useful than all season. If I lived in the country....for sure would change. Being that may travel is in the city and mostly plowed roads with more compact snow/ice a good pair of all season tires works well. I just got a new set of Goodyear Assurance and they work good so far.

Take care

Old 12-30-2011, 11:15 AM

419 posts, read 1,396,439 times
Minivans work quite well overall. I had a 91 caravan for many years and now drive a 2002 windstar. In my opinion four wheel drive leads to a false sense of confidence. Sure it will help one get started in snow or allow one to get through what the city plow leaves behind. But it does nothing for reaction time or helping to brake if someone is going too fast for conditions.
Hey, we made it through several years with my husband driving a Honda civic.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:30 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,902,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchinnd View Post
Minivans work quite well overall. I had a 91 caravan for many years and now drive a 2002 windstar. In my opinion four wheel drive leads to a false sense of confidence. Sure it will help one get started in snow or allow one to get through what the city plow leaves behind. But it does nothing for reaction time or helping to brake if someone is going too fast for conditions.
Hey, we made it through several years with my husband driving a Honda civic.

You are 100% right on false sense of confidence with a 4WD. Just watch with first big snowfall of the year and see how many 4WD's are in the ditch.

Jasper Hobbs

Old 12-30-2011, 01:45 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
You are 100% right on false sense of confidence with a 4WD. Just watch with first big snowfall of the year and see how many 4WD's are in the ditch.

Jasper Hobbs
That's for sure. Years ago, I had a 4x4 pass me at high speed on snowy/icy surface. 10 minutes later, the 4x4 was in the ditch on its roof. The guy was OK and was outside the truck looking in disbelief.

I know a 4x4 can't be beat when in comes to traction when getting started from a stop, but at high speed I'm not sure how much it helps. You still need to be carefull.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
No doubt snow tires would be useful than all season. If I lived in the country....for sure would change. Being that may travel is in the city and mostly plowed roads with more compact snow/ice a good pair of all season tires works well. I just got a new set of Goodyear Assurance and they work good so far.

Take care
I can't tell ya what a relief ,it is hear we do not need to try and unload our current vehicles and purchase a 4WDR...securing new tires is soooo much easier...and CHEAPER!!! I am particularly happy to hear about the van, I was dreading the idea of living with one car, even for a short while.
Dan, Thanks for replying.
I am even thinking, since our hope is to secure employment and relocate to ND, no later tha August. So we may even be able to postpone purchasing the tires still we get settled in.
Thank you to everyone, I appreciate everyone's input.
Happy New Year's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo