Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 02:15 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,096,032 times

Advertisements

I secured housing yesterday and I’m planning to move next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 03:16 PM

12 posts, read 27,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I secured housing yesterday and I’m planning to move next week.
How much is rent? Have you secured a job?

Old 01-09-2012, 05:45 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,096,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrule View Post
How much is rent? Have you secured a job?
I'm paying $350 for a room in a nice home.

I have not secured a job, but I can no longer wait out the recovery in California. I have enough funds to carry me for a while so I’m not worried about that. I just want to work again and I feel this is a risk worth taking.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:31 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,740,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I'm paying $350 for a room in a nice home.

I have not secured a job, but I can no longer wait out the recovery in California. I have enough funds to carry me for a while so I’m not worried about that. I just want to work again and I feel this is a risk worth taking.

I hope it works out for you.

Just ride out the cold of winter and the rest of the year is not so bad.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:23 PM

254 posts, read 511,594 times
Good luck to you! I hope your move goes well.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:14 AM

611 posts, read 1,451,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pims26 View Post
But why are you expecting all these things to be accommodated when thy are not indigenous to the area?
Don't you think its a bit rude, to say the least, to complain about your unreasonable expectations, especially so as you've just gotten off the boat, so to speak?
Did you do any research on the area before moving, which seems to be a sensible thing to have done? I think not.
Do you not realize that every type of culture can't be everywhere in the USA?
Your unreasonable complaints is part of what's wrong with the USA.

If I go to another country, Mexcio for example, and then demand that the community I go to provide for the culture of where I am from, the people in that community will rightly get annoyed, be offended at my rejection of their culture and will regard me with negativity and ask me to leave.
That is what you are doing.

Would you not think it is highly offensive if you invited me to your house and then once I am there, I start complaining that you haven't accommodated my culture, tastes and preferences into yours and then worse, I start demanding that you provide them?
I didn't MOVE to Fargo, I was ASSIGNED to Fargo for my job. I made a lot if friends & enjoyed myself very much. I wasn't complaining, just stating the obvious.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:23 PM

45 posts, read 160,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer37 View Post
Thanks MountainK:
How bout the heating in apartments(The ones in which heat is included in the rent). I spoke with a couple of apartment managers and they say if heating is included in the rent, it will be sufficient and you won't need to use ur own heating. Other people on this forum say that even if heating is included in the rent, one can't escape using electric heating of their own because the heating provided by the landlord will not be sufficient. What is your experience?
Thanksss
I've lived in Fargo for twelve years. For six of those years I have had the apartment I do now with my heat included in the rent. I can honestly say that heat with your rent is a very good deal here in any building heated with a reasonably well serviced and maintained, newer boiler and forced hot water baseboard heating. The baseboards are long and very low, covered, mini-radiators. All of this is standard in most newer or well maintained housing or apartments. With this system you have your own thermostat to set the heat in your place the way you like it. Once the heating boiler in the building is turned on for the winter months, I have always found my heat to be excellent.

In Fargo we do have days in the spring and fall where the morning temperatures can be in the range of 30-50, then later in the day the outside temperature can rise into the 70-80's. On those colder mornings I turn on my oven to 180-85, leave the oven door open, and run my box fan at slow speed in the kitchen doorway for the half an hour or so that it takes to get warmer air circulating in the apartment. I only need to use that 'lil improvised system on a handful of days. When the main heating for the baseboards comes on in the winter there is no need for that.

A must for home heating in Fargo is the purchase of a whole house humidifier. Without proper humidification the air in a Fargo house or apartment will dry out to below 20%, like the Sahara Desert. It's true! The household air in this climate must be artificially humidified to above 50%. Otherwise your skin and nasal passages and sinuses will dry out, your house plants will die, and you will feel cold ALL the time, no matter how high you dial your heat. So there is also a big personal health, household savings and comfort factor to consider over against the cost of a adequate sized humidifier.

If in Fargo any landlords try to cheat with inadequate heating, they can be reported to city hall, the Fargo City prosecutor and hauled into Fargo City Court for violation of the city housing code and health regulations. However, in my experience, that sort of thing just doesn't happen in Fargo. No landlord or property management company wants to deal with complaining tenants if they can avoid it. They want, happy, warm tenants who will pay, stay and renew leases. In the log run, it's much easier to give them the heat they need and also pay for.

... And no, I'm not a Fargo landlord, I'm just a Fargo resident with some personal experience in these matters.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:13 AM

10 posts, read 56,120 times
My husband and I have been here since the end of July. I like it here except for one thing- neither of us can find full time employment. I took a temp position for 1.5 months; but have had nothing since. What does it take to get hired here? Both of us are quite frustrated- but not giving up.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:26 PM

45 posts, read 160,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenduck View Post
My husband and I have been here since the end of July. I like it here except for one thing- neither of us can find full time employment. I took a temp position for 1.5 months; but have had nothing since. What does it take to get hired here? Both of us are quite frustrated- but not giving up.
Unfortunately, there is no one set of methods or ways to get jobs anywhere because every job and every applicant is different.You and your husband have your own education, skill sets and ambitions which make it impossible to give you quick, magic bullet answers to "What does it take to get hired here?"

Fargo is just like any other place except there for generally low wages and low cost of living combined with low unemployment. There are advantages and disadvantages and trade offs, as with any other place.

However given your situation in Fargo, I would not screw around with any more employment agencies or temp to work outfits until arranging for some serious career counselling help from places like the ND Job Service, Village Family Service Center, MN or ND Lutheran Social Services or places like NDSU Family Counseling Center. They are either free or have low cost, sliding scale fees. All of those places have trained people who will give you two a sympathetic ear and help you address the particulars of your employment goals in ways that can't be done on this forum. Those people also have other local connections for you to help since you are both newcomers to Fargo.

Good luck! Best wishes of the season to you both.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:30 PM

2 posts, read 7,581 times
I'm concentrating on getting out of Fargo due to the low wages I have been offered. I need a larger metro area. However, I enjoyed the city the 6 years I lived here...there is no rush hour (just a few extra cars on the road), it's easy to go anywhere in town, very little crime (when the news leads off about kids vandalizing something you know its a good town if that's the leading story), easy to bike to work, I dare you to find a hill (other than the **** and landfill).

Cons, this Winter has absolutely been horrible for me. Too cold to go do anything, in a combination of this and being unemployed I have never been this stir crazy. I spend all my day job searching in areas south of Fargo, in larger metro areas, higher unemployment rates, but more jobs beening offered. In CO for an interview today that went well, hopefully this happens...when I get off the plane tomorrow I'm not too excited to get smacked in the face with a -10 high tempeture...back to watching history channel with my laptop looking for jobs. Stir Crazy, Stir Crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo