Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2011, 08:11 AM

4 posts, read 18,250 times

Advertisements

Hi
Me and my husband are moving to Fargo in june of 2012 due to employment.I have some queries and would be thankful for your help

a)We both are avid runners ,so my query is do people jog or run in winters with appropriate clothing ,and where do they run I mean are road or trails safe to run in snow or is there any indoor running area where people go to run?

b)Which car you think is best for Fargo winters we were thinking Subaru or volvo
($$)?He will be commuting to Deteroit lakes everyday so need a reliable car.

c) Recommendation for a good apartment complex 2 br /2 bath with W & D.

Thanks a lot in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 08:43 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,007,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha from alabama View Post
Hi
Me and my husband are moving to Fargo in june of 2012 due to employment.I have some queries and would be thankful for your help

a)We both are avid runners ,so my query is do people jog or run in winters with appropriate clothing ,and where do they run I mean are road or trails safe to run in snow or is there any indoor running area where people go to run?

b)Which car you think is best for Fargo winters we were thinking Subaru or volvo
($$)?He will be commuting to Deteroit lakes everyday so need a reliable car.

c) Recommendation for a good apartment complex 2 br /2 bath with W & D.

Thanks a lot in advance

I may be able to help some.... I live in the Grand Forks area to the north but go to Fargo frequently.

For apartments....many to choose from....newest ones on the southwest side of town -- Osgood area being one.. Here is one possibility....

Coletrain Apartments Apartments, 3700 42nd St. Fargo, ND - Apartments for Rent on ApartmentGuide.com | Fargo North Dakota | 173262

They are very new...with in unit W/D. You can look at other options on this website as well. I have never personally rented in Fargo so I cant help with first hand recommendations. Sorry about that

Now...for the car...I would choose a Subaru. Mainly because the nearest place to have any work done on a Volvo is in Minneapolis. There is a Subaru dealearship in Moorhead, just across the river. Highway 10 to DTL is a major highway and would be plowed and sanded/salted frequently.

For runners.....there is the Fargo marathon to look forward to in 2012. It is one of the best races in the country and has grown tremendously in the number of runners. It is held in May. There is a smaller race held in the fall.

The Fargo Marathon

Registration

I have seen die-hard runners out in most any weather...except the coldest. There are several fitness places to choose from. Center Courts PLUS and I believe the YMCA (with more than one locatoin to choose from) have indoor running tracks. Each place has websites for more info.... there are a couple more fitness places in Fargo too but not familiar with them.

--Dan

Old 11-03-2011, 10:30 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,944 times
I can't speak to a lot of the apartment complexes, but I know that there are a good number of the newer ones in South Fargo that have W&D and garage.

As far as running, you will see people running year-round, down to really cold weather. That being said, winter gear costs a bit, and you might be more comfortable just running at a gym. Courts Plus has treadmills as well as an indoor track. The YMCA also has an indoor track. If you decide to run outside, get some ice spikes for your shoes. Sidewalks and trails can vary as far as how well they are cleaned (or how clean they can be gotten, for that matter). Some sidewalks don't drain well, so any melting turns that section of sidewalk into something more like a skating rink.

And, I agree with Dan on the Subaru. My wife and I had a Saab. We liked the car, but parts were prohibitively expensive and finding a place that wanted to work on it could get tough.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:44 AM

419 posts, read 1,397,243 times
Beyond Running is a store specializing in meeting the needs of runners; it's on Broadway on the north edge of downtown. They'll have winter running gear as well as information about group runs, etc.
Definitely the Subaru; there is also a dealer in town (Moorhead, MN just over the Red River from Fargo) so you could get it serviced easily as well.
If there is a daily commute to Detroit Lakes, you may want to think about apartments in South Moorhead--it could cut 10 minutes from the daily commute. There are new complexes in the Horizon Shores subdivision of Moorhead --Shoreview and Waterstone--or near the Meadows golf course on the east edge of Moorhead.
www.apartsmentshq.com is the apartment search run by the local newspaper for Fargo-Moorhead.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:45 PM

Default thanks

Thanks a lot for your replies see you in Fargo.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:52 PM

12 posts, read 35,549 times
The question was asked which is a better car (Volvo or Suburu) for Fargo's winter,well if I move to Fargo, what should I do with my 2010 Honda Civic ?

Old 03-27-2013, 08:03 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,007,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjoisey View Post
The question was asked which is a better car (Volvo or Suburu) for Fargo's winter,well if I move to Fargo, what should I do with my 2010 Honda Civic ?
I know plenty of people who drive Civic's all season long. If you have a job you must work odd hours when streets arent plowed after a storm or will live in the country that type of front wheel drive car should be fine. Main issue with vehicles is clearance....that is why if driving a lot during snow storms themselves or driving on rural roads where drifts are large and no plows....you can get stuck versus driving a higher up vehicle such as a truck or SUV. But for normal in town driving your civic is fine IMO.

If you want to do Volvo or Subaru I would do the later as there are several dealerships for Subaru but nearest one for Volvo in terms of repairs would be in Minneapolis.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:30 AM

231 posts, read 873,327 times
My 2001 Honda Civic gets around just fine with all season tires. The only days I wouldn't recommend it is when the law enforcement agencies are advising no travel due to weather, and everything is closing down. So about 4-6 days a year.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:22 PM

90 posts, read 263,143 times
I lived in Fargo for 21 years (23 years old now). Lots of runners there (my family still lives there and they run all the time). There's a Fargo Marathon in May that a LOT of people do.

In my opinion, do NOT rent from any apartments from Goldmark, everybody has bad experiences, i have a couple.

Best of luck!

Old 04-22-2013, 09:19 AM

Default recommendation for painter and electrician in Fargo

Hi all,
Hope all are doing well!We are in the process of buying home in Fargo and I would like to have recommendation for painter,electrician and any one who can install kitchen chimney/hood.
Thanks a lot for your responses and help.
have a nice day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo