Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 09:07 PM

180 posts, read 634,566 times

Advertisements

I feel like this forum is too nice & possiblty too rational. I think we need some competition. Hence, the BIG 4 BATTLE ROYAL (caps added for emphesis & general yelling affect).

To participate, simply rank the big 4 (Bismarck-Mandan, Fargo-Moorehead, Grand Forks - East Grand Forks, Minot & Surrounding) in order of "General Goodnessity". Explanation appreciated but not required.

Unless someone thinks of a better one, the Scoring System will be as follows:

4 Points for being someone's first choice (Most Goodnessity)
2 Points for being someone's second choice (2nd Most)
1 Point for being someone's third choice (3rd Most)
0 Points for being someone's fourth choice (Least Goodnessity - but still much more Goodnessity than most cities in most other states - Yes Mississippi, I'm talking about you )

I'll try to update the score every now & then. Though you may comment and / or trash-talk as much as desired, your ranking will only count once. You may change your ranking @ any time - just indicate it in the post.

In the interest of fairness, I will not rank for at least a week.

Let the "BATTLE ROYAL" begin.

Last edited by ebitdadada; 09-21-2007 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: Changing Words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 07:09 AM

158 posts, read 1,084,363 times
I've never spent much time in Grand Forks. I visit Minot weekly and lived in Fargo and Bismarck. Since this is based on Goodnessity. My rankings are different than if It was ranking my favorite overall city. But based on Goodnessity I would rank it as such.

1. Minot
2. Bismarck
3. Fargo
4. Grand Forks (by default because of my lack of exposure)

Old 09-22-2007, 08:35 AM

13 posts, read 72,865 times
Thumbs up "big Four Battle Royal"

Oh this post is so cool! I think this is just what all of
"us out-of-town ND can't-wait-to-bes" need.
I cannot wait to hear a lot of the comments. Even though my husband and I have decide on the Western part of ND, I do still love to read all the posts about the other areas of ND. We are still planning on moving in the Spring of next year. I do have one question though. How soon is too soon to make a move to Northwestern ND? In other words, when is the earliest time to consider bring up a 40' travel trailer? Travelwise I mean. We used to be truck drivers and have pulled 53' trailers in all kinds of weather but that is a little bit different than pulling your home on wheels. LOL!!!
Looking forward to any comments.
Hey, I think I am finally breaking out of my shyness shell.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:48 PM

431 posts, read 1,605,418 times
Default The Big 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowblind9 View Post
I've never spent much time in Grand Forks. I visit Minot weekly and lived in Fargo and Bismarck. Since this is based on Goodnessity. My rankings are different than if It was ranking my favorite overall city. But based on Goodnessity I would rank it as such.

1. Minot
2. Bismarck
3. Fargo
4. Grand Forks (by default because of my lack of exposure)
I agree with Snowblind about the order. Minot may not have the quantity of businesses, but it does have the quality. ct

Old 09-30-2007, 04:34 PM

268 posts, read 1,613,901 times
1. Fargo
2. GF
3. Bismarck
4. Minot

I've never been to Minot, but I'm yet to meet a person who has lived there give me a glowing review of that metropolis.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:11 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,458 times
Economy
1 Fargo
2. Bismarck
3. GF
4. Minot

Outdoors
1. Bismarck
2. Minot
3. GF
4. Fargo

Culture opportunities
1. GF (UND related)
2. Fargo
3. Bismarck
4. Minot

Friendliness
1. Minot
2. GF
3. Bismarck
4. Fargo

Weather
1. Bismarck
2. Minot
3. (tie) Fargo /GF

Education
All are very good through HS and all offer very good undergrad options.

Restaurants/Nightlife
1. Fargo
2. Bismarck
3. GF
4. Minot

City Planning/Neighborhood appeal
1. GF (97 flood changed its face, new infrastructure, Greenway changing dynamics)
2. Bismarck
3. Minot
4. Fargo (suburban sprawl, but new developments in SW changing that)

Defined by sport / recreation playground / hunting/fishing:
Fargo - football / Detroit Lakes / fishing
Bismarck - wrestling culture (FB #1 though) / Missouri River / pheasant
Minot - basketball / Lake Sakawea, Metigoshe / duck hunting
GF - hockey / Maple Lake/LOW/Red River / goose hunting

Old 10-01-2007, 11:43 AM

246 posts, read 1,006,713 times
1. Bismarck
2. Fargo
TIE: Minot / Grand Forks

Best feature of #1:

Growth in Residences and Businesses with Room to actually grow unlike Fargo that seems as if it can only go so far. No flooding issues and climate is one of the best.

Worst feature of #1: Lack of technology jobs compared to Fargo. (but getting closer)

Old 10-07-2007, 08:40 PM

268 posts, read 1,613,901 times
For me, night life and entertainment options put Fargo and G.F. on top of Bismark. Bismark reminds me of Topeka, a bland, Midwestern capital city with nothing to do.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:16 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,044 times
1.Fargo
2.Bismarck
3.GF
4.Minot

Old 10-17-2007, 03:45 PM

3 posts, read 10,590 times
#1 - Fargo - Access to good music stores (Sorry Bismarck, no more Music Syndicate. All you have is Wal-Mart music to chose from) The F-M Symphony and Opera Company. The Plains Art Museum and three hours from Minneapolis for additional Arts and Cultural Events.

#2 - Grand Forks - Hockey. The Greater Grand Forks Symphony, North Dakota Museum of Art and just a short drive from LAKES/camping great outdoor fun. The downside -- a bit gritty when it comes to the nightlife.

#3 - Been many years since I was there, but the people were FRIENDLY!!! Clean looking town. And pleasant concert hall on the MSU Campus.

#4 Bismarck - The Walrus, the view from State Avenue and U-of Mary and a coffee shop in the public library. Downsides - 3 hours from ANYWHERE - no good record stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo