Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 07:25 PM

3 posts, read 21,662 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Colorado for the past 5 years, and while winter can get cold, it's nothing like the winters in Fargo. I've never had trouble with starting my car in the winter in Colorado, but with the sub-zero temperatures in Fargo, I anticipate I will need to do a little more for my car so I can get to work and get around. Is there anything I can put in my car to keep it from freezing up on those sub-zero days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 07:45 PM

21 posts, read 40,314 times
Big battery or two and a block heater is a good place to start, but a block heater won't matter if you don't have a place to plug it in. That's more for comfort though. Along the same lines, you could get a remote starter or seat heaters.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:15 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
We just discussed this in the Williston Forum. You might want to read it //www.city-data.com/forum/north...e-vehicle.html

Old 10-08-2012, 12:06 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
As someone living in the cold climate... a must for any vehicle parked outdoors a lot is a good quality battery with enough cranking amps. If you have that, it will improve the situation greatly. Block heaters are nice too if park outdoors a lot, but if have a good battery only found I need to plug in if well below -20F, which doesnt occur too often. Do get a car checkup when you arrive by a good mechanic.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:37 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,961 times
Check the anti-freeze/coolant in the radiator to make sure it is the correct water to antifreeze ratio so it will not freeze.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:15 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,479 times
As mentioned above, get the battery and radiator checked before winter. Aside from that, if you are parking outdoors and don't have access to an outlet to plug in a block heater, warm the car up at night if it's going to be a severely cold overnight temperature. Most vehicles will still start okay if they've been sitting for less than 12 hours.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:37 PM

5 posts, read 17,187 times
I have yet to see a place in Fargo without outdoor plugins, so block heater. Also, make sure to put Heet in your car when you fill up. I've never had a problem when I use those.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:34 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,961 times
I would suggest you keep the gas tank near full most of the time. Don't be one of those that always waits until they are on empty and then puts in as little gas as they need to get by.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:31 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
A high capacity battery, get one with the highest CCA rating that will fit.
Or if you think yours is good have it load tested and clean the connections.
Next try synthetic oil.

Block heaters are nice but not necessarily, necessary.

heet or any of those gasoline anti freeze products use alcohol IPA, to keep the water in the gas from freezing this is not needed as the gas has ethanol in it
this type or alcohol will do the same thing as the heet.

If you are really determand to live in your car you could add a ecpar heater.
not sure if they have one thet uses gas, I think they need diesel fuel to run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmore16 View Post
I have yet to see a place in Fargo without outdoor plugins, so block heater. Also, make sure to put Heet in your car when you fill up. I've never had a problem when I use those.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:46 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
A high capacity battery, get one with the highest CCA rating that will fit.
Or if you think yours is good have it load tested and clean the connections.
Next try synthetic oil.

Block heaters are nice but not necessarily, necessary.

heet or any of those gasoline anti freeze products use alcohol IPA, to keep the water in the gas from freezing this is not needed as the gas has ethanol in it
this type or alcohol will do the same thing as the heet.

If you are really determand to live in your car you could add a ecpar heater.
not sure if they have one thet uses gas, I think they need diesel fuel to run
I do not think anyone advocates using an unvented heater in a car, or trying to live in a car in N.D. in winter.

Last edited by JanND; 10-18-2012 at 04:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo