Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 04:40 PM

34 posts, read 131,174 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I am obsessed with weather and always watch weather channel extreme weather shows. I live in NJ and while I like cold weather the winter months really bum me out. Our winters are cold for me, temperatures run from the mid teens into the 30s. Of course we get some really cold and some really mild days mixed in. Every winter I wish I could pack up the family and move to west coast like seattle for more milder winters.

Then I see the weather reports for Fargo and other mid west cities with below zero temps and then I realize the NJ weather could be a lot worse and I shouldn't complain. How do you all deal with the cold temps? I can't imagine everyone enjoys the extreme cold. Are temps in the 30s considered cold? I would love to hear a local perspective on Fargo winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 07:19 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
Hi

I am a meteorologist at NWS Grand Forks... and we are located about 70 miles north of Fargo and forecast for eastern ND and northwestern MN. Like anywhere, you have those that really dislike winter, and some (like me) who love winter. Most tolerate it....but are very happy when April arrives.

What's cold....that depends too. The first 30 degree day in the fall will seem cold, but once you get used to, 30 degrees in January to me means light jacket weather. I am quite cold tolerant though and grew up in the south (Kentucky) and always wanted to move north.

I would say in Fargo, since it is a city, life goes on as normal most all days of the winter. Regardless of the temperature, you have to go to work. shop, get groceries. One thing with outdoor activities when it is below 10F or below zero many outdoor activities are curtailed...often too cold to go sledding (young kids esp) so those with younger kids (like myself) get all cooped up and we look for indoor play areas or indoor sports such as hockey, basketball, etc to run off steam.

But most folks are very very aware of the weather around here, as in severe winter storms and severe cold, it can be life threatening if your car breaks down or if you have to travel....as unlike in many urban areas of the east, a lot of travelling is done in this area in the country and if you breakdown getting help is much harder. So most folks listen to weather forecasts, carry a winter survival kit....and because we live here we know that winter can bring nasty weather. Just like folks in Florida and the gulf coast now about hurricanes and are ready, the same up here in the winter. We survive and shrug it off and learn to deal with it and in the spring and summer it makes outdoor life that much better.

Dan

Old 02-18-2013, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the insight Dan, well said. I feel the same way. We have two kids and unless it is above feezing temps we drive around to find indoor activities. I guess you get used to the weather eventually. I just checked the weather in Fargo as a reference point and it was 0 F with minus 37 reel feel temp (source accuweather). That is insanity. What doea that feel like? We had high winds in northeast yesterday and reel feel temps minus 2 and I couldn't believe the cold.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:26 PM

One last question......does everyone in Fargo area have fireplaces and really good insulation in their homes? I was thinking about purchasing a wood burning insert but they run over 5 thousand in my area for decent one fully installed. Also thinking about having cellulose installation blown over existing fiberglass to save some money in long term for heat loss.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJamboy View Post
One last question......does everyone in Fargo area have fireplaces and really good insulation in their homes? I was thinking about purchasing a wood burning insert but they run over 5 thousand in my area for decent one fully installed. Also thinking about having cellulose installation blown over existing fiberglass to save some money in long term for heat loss.
Cold is cold.....you still have activities. When it is -10F and lots of wind you dont go for long walks outside....there are gyms or the Y for exercise, etc.

But for homes.....we have a newly built home (10 yrs old) and I would say gas fireplaces are somewhat common in new homes but more for added niceness....though certainly some folks have wood burning fireplaces they use for warmth to offset gas/electric/propane heat. I would say more rural folks would have that type of fireplace than in city. This is just what I have gauged visiting friends/relatives. Yes homes are very nicely insulated and the pipes, etc are all well under the frost level (I believe for code pipes must be a certain feet below ground level -- dont recall how deep though). But for homes never have any issues with frozen pipes. Now if you have a manufactured house/mobile home without much of a foundation underground then they do skirt those heavily to prevent pipes from freezing. Homes here are built for the cold.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJamboy View Post
Thanks for the insight Dan, well said. I feel the same way. We have two kids and unless it is above feezing temps we drive around to find indoor activities. I guess you get used to the weather eventually. I just checked the weather in Fargo as a reference point and it was 0 F with minus 37 reel feel temp (source accuweather). That is insanity. What doea that feel like? We had high winds in northeast yesterday and reel feel temps minus 2 and I couldn't believe the cold.
Right now at elementary school level at least in our town...if the temp is below zero (F) they will not go outside....and often will wait til it is above 10F. Also wind chill plays a factor. Some times, they may not go outside for a month for recess....they have it in the gym or have read time instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo