Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 02:36 PM

517 posts, read 1,052,349 times

Advertisements

Well, I took my first walk in the cold, it is about negative four. I walked about 1.2 miles. I did pretty good, the Carhart insulated underwear, and awesome snowmobile suit that my Father-in-Law gave me did a fine job of keeping me warm. By the end of the walk I was unbuttoning the suit. Also the thinsulate facemask/hat my little sister sent me kept my head warm, by the end of the walk the outer hat was off. However, the tractor supply boots and the wool socks had my toes cold by the end of the walk. I may have to spend some money on some high end boots before it is over. Also, the thinsulate gloves had the tips of my fingers cold. I have been told that I need mittens as the separated fingers have too much exposed area. I might as well get them as the usefulness of the hand even in those gloves is pretty low.

Even so, the biggest problem was my glasses, every once in a while my breath would blow back on my glasses and they would fog up and then freeze. By half way through the walk I had to remove them.

I will have to figure something out because not being able to see kind of ruins the walk.

Jeff (P.S. Ain't that a cool looking house?)
Attached Thumbnails
Walking in the cold-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 12:09 PM

10 posts, read 25,524 times
I have some brand new high end 1000 gram thinsulate boots for sale. They have never been worn. What size are you?

Old 12-23-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryschmelly View Post
i have some brand new high end 1000 gram thinsulate boots for sale. They have never been worn. What size are you?
9 1/2

Old 12-23-2013, 07:36 PM

47 posts, read 89,633 times
Jeff,

There sure are some very interesting examples of historic house design periods over in that part of town. A bygone era..

I hope your not out walking around today, its bordering on dangerous weather..

Old 12-24-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak7mm View Post
Jeff,

There sure are some very interesting examples of historic house design periods over in that part of town. A bygone era..

I hope your not out walking around today, its bordering on dangerous weather..
No, I knew that as cold as Sunday was Monday and Tuesday would too cold. Until the wind laid this afternoon i was not interested in even taking out the trash.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 01-06-2014, 11:14 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
I was just out delivering food here in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where the wind chill has been ranging between -25 and -35 degrees Fahrenheit. I was outside only for a few minutes at a time, but each time I felt as if the gel in my eyes was going to ice over, and my fingers had that dessicated look they have when you soak in the tub for too long! I don't know how you folks in North Dakota do this EVERY winter, but I tip my hat to you all! You truly are quite brave!

Old 01-08-2014, 08:34 AM

47 posts, read 89,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I don't know how you folks in North Dakota do this EVERY winter, but I tip my hat to you all! You truly are quite brave!
Lol, I dont know if brave is the proper term.... More like stubborn, necessary stupidity.... On the other hand, I am one of these Northern folk who melt at temps above 90*

Rod in Fargo

Old 01-08-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I was just out delivering food here in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where the wind chill has been ranging between -25 and -35 degrees Fahrenheit. I was outside only for a few minutes at a time, but each time I felt as if the gel in my eyes was going to ice over, and my fingers had that dessicated look they have when you soak in the tub for too long! I don't know how you folks in North Dakota do this EVERY winter, but I tip my hat to you all! You truly are quite brave!
I am from Texas. When I said "First walk in the cold" I meant the very first. I haven't ventured out for recreation below 0 since. Doesn't mean I don't get out.

Last Saturday I decided to do something about my truck not warming up. I had already built a custom grill cover for it, but the engine temp wouldn't come up above 165 degrees. I finally got it into a mechanic shop and found one of the two thermostats was leaking. (It is an old 6.5 liter Chevrolet Diesel) When I left that shop Saturday it was near zero and the heater was kind of working. Sunday morning when it was so cold. Nothing. No Heat. Cold Air.

So, I devised a plan for Monday morning, a morning that promised to be so cold, even the North Dakataians would close schools. I brought my heat buddy a little propane heater out to the truck to warm up the cab before I made the 11 minute run to work.

Good idea. Right?

Wrong! The first time I made the mistake of exhaling, it fogged up the windows and froze.

So, I changed my plan.

No work, drive to nearby mechanic and get this thing fixed. No really a good plan as it was still dark and the windows had frost on the inside of them. However, I had a bottle of ice melting cleaner, that I normally use on the outside of the windows and some rags. So I would put the cleaner on, wipe the windows and drive. I made it 14 blocks down to Main Street, but I couldn't find that mechanic shop.

As my fingers had already gone numb in less than ten minutes of driving, (Note: I am fully dressed in super warm clothing including thinsulate gloves, but no mittens.) I saw a McDonald's and pulled in to get a cup of coffee and warm up. Fortunately, there were some people in drinking coffee. (It appears that young people couldn't get to school, but old people still need their coffee) I asked about the mechanic shop and they asked me what I needed them for. I told them my heater core was plugged. They said, "Forget the mechanic shop, the best radiator shop in Fargo is across the street. Have a cup of coffee and wait for them to get to work." I did.

I might add that a stranger I met at the Y had told me the day before that they would give me a ride to work if I needed it, so I called them, and they did.

Mark down another one for Fargo citizens!

Oh, and my heater works now.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 01-11-2014, 09:08 PM

265 posts, read 686,822 times
North Dakotan' s are some super people. Far better than the people I meet in Florida....Get me outer here.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:42 AM

Default Second Walk in the cold

Eat a live frog first thing in the morning, nothing worse will happen to you, (or the frog) for the rest of the day.

If you compare the first walk at -8 or -9 to this one at +28, this one was very nice. In fact this one was very nice period.

Walked up from 14th Ave to "The Shack" for my Saturday morning breakfast. I sat at the bar and watched the girls work. (I love work, I could watch it all day.) One tall waitress there made me realize that the tall red head on "That 70's Show" nailed the mannerisms of the great frozen north.

After that I walk up to 32 Ave? That is where Broad street get right next to the river, or vice versa, then iI turned walk along side the park and then on to the golf coarse. I only saw a couple of cross country skiers on the golf course and not a huge number of people snow sledding at the Divot club.

I might note the the weather was beautiful, the sky was an incredible blue with snow white ground and stark shadows. The temp was about 25, maybe 28 with a very light wind out of the southwest. After I realized I could not follow the river from the golf course back south I back tracked and walked down Elm to 14th and back home. This a pleasant walk, but a typical walk through late 20 century Americana,

So, six miles, at 28 even my super cheap boots from Tractor Supply, with the help of some nice wool socks, can keep my feet warm. I would rate this as a nice walk, but when time and weather permits I will explore further south. Maybe from Main street along the river.

The first picture is of the Red River of the North, looking north along North Broadway, the second is of some fruit on a tree in front of some apartments on North Broadway, near "The Shack" and the third is a picture of the mystery fruit tree.

Cheers
Qazulight
Attached Thumbnails
Walking in the cold-river-along-north-broadway.jpg   Walking in the cold-what-kind-fruit-.jpg   Walking in the cold-mystery-fruit-tree.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of: