Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 05:38 AM

517 posts, read 1,052,116 times

Advertisements

Ok, the schools are closed due to blizzard, but when I go outside the weather doesn't see so bad, gentle 20 mph wind, in Fargo that is like saying "light and variable" anywhere else. The two inches of snow is so light and fluffy, makes all the mush look better.

So what am missing, is my alarm not working or did the mets miss?

Cheers
Qazulight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 07:08 AM

419 posts, read 1,396,734 times
It's a completely different world, which even John Wheeler on WDAY said last night, between conditions inside the core of the city (inside the treeline is how I think of it) and conditions out on the prairie, interstates, or new, barren subdivisions. But yeah, based just on the sound of the wind alone, my guess is that it was a whole lot worse at 2 am than now at 8 am.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:06 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
What do the rural county roads look like? Can the busses run and be able to pick up all the kids out of town? Wouldn't be fair to make all the kids in town go to school and the kids out in the country get a free day off. That's what they used to do when I was in school. They'd actually announce on the radio and TV that if you lived outside city limits, there was no school, however if you lived inside city limits, school was in session as normal. Back then, there were NO busses inside city limits. So you might have to walk 2-3 miles to get to school, where as the kids out in the country, the bus picked them up at the end of the driveway and dropped them off 100 ft from the door to the school.

Plus, the school superintendant has to make the call early as to whether school should be in session. He probably made the call last night based on conditions and expected weather. That way they can get the word out.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:14 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
as a forecaster we do tire of the if it doesn't look bad at my spot it is fine all areas. you live in the center of town with big trees you are not going to be the same as out of town where vsby is 100 ft

Old 01-16-2014, 11:18 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
So you might have to walk 2-3 miles to get to school
Uphill in the Snow .. Both ways .... Bare Footed ...

Old 01-16-2014, 02:27 PM

517 posts, read 1,052,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
as a forecaster we do tire of the if it doesn't look bad at my spot it is fine all areas. you live in the center of town with big trees you are not going to be the same as out of town where vsby is 100 ft

I'm complaining. I am from Texas. I just don't know. I had a native explain that like someone else said, out on the plains the visibility drops to zero, and he also said, it is easy to start sweating then freeze to death.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 01-16-2014, 07:30 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
That is very true. Too many people want to completely cut out the wind so they purchase a coat that is windproof. Of course, if it's wind proof, it still needs to breath because you do NOT want to sweat.

That makes it a fine line on what you wear or what you pick out to wear, is it going to be enough, and will it make you sweat. That's why everybody will tell you, layers, layers, layers. As the day progresses, shed a layer so that you can still be warm, but not too warm. In the late afternoon, as the temp drops again, you can add the layers back on. As far as wind proof, my choice is a jean jacket on top of 2 or 3 hoodies. The jean jacket blocks a lot of the wind, but still breathes. If I need to shed a layer, I remove the jean jacket, then a hoodie, then put the jean jacket back on.

You really have to figure out what your day is going to be like before you dress to go out. Hunting, for example, is going to vary greatly depending on if you are going to walk, drive deer, search draws, or are you going to sit. You don't want to dress for one and then do the other. If you do start getting cold, get up and move around, but don't over do it. Move slowly and give it time to warm you up. Don't get up and jog down the road a half mile. It will warm you up, but that layer of sweat will freeze solid to the body and then you can't warm up.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:49 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazulight View Post
I'm complaining. I am from Texas. I just don't know. I had a native explain that like someone else said, out on the plains the visibility drops to zero, and he also said, it is easy to start sweating then freeze to death.

Cheers
Qazulight
no problem.... but yes these types of blizzards caused by high winds and little actual falling snowfall are quite common and do proof do be quite difficult to get that idea across to people that in town it may be ok but out of town zero vsby. so blizzard warnings are issued to warn the public of this and hopefully try to prevent someone from driving into the whiteout and going off the road and then calling for help risking our sheriff/police/fire/ambulance/tow truck folks lives. We see too much of this....people going around barricades on the interstate and then calling for assistance a bit later.... we can educate all we can but can only do so much.

the same applies for severe weather....when we issue warnings for hail or even tornadoes, if it doesnt occur right where they are at then it didnt occur anywhere else....so the next event they become complacent.

there was a story from Wishek ND out southeast of Bismarck, where school was held. On the way home yesterday the bus got stuck in the ditch in the blizzard and the school district wouldnt send anyone to help until the winds died off and it ended up being a dad of one of the students going to help pull the bus out. It was a small bus (not one of those very long ones).

Even the long timers forget this....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo