Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 02:27 PM

419 posts, read 1,392,850 times

Advertisements

So with a big press conference and with many of the local movers & shakers present, a new initiative was launched today, called the Valley Prosperity Partnership. See all of their info here: Valley Prosperity Partnership | Linking business, community, and people

It's basically a coordinated lobbying & marketing effort among the metro areas of the Red River Valley. Workforce Development--attracting, developing, and retaining talent is the first stated goal. So one of the major action steps to achieve that is "Attract Former Valley Residents and Alumni." Now there is an action step listed later of "Create Pilot Program to Recruit Foreign-Born Talent and/or Attract the Unemployed or Underemployed" I do admit.

But still--why the fixation on specifically recruiting & hiring those who have lived here previously? When you combine this with the experiences of those in the Upper Midwest who have relocated (see "Newcomers say it's Nice, but not warm"), as someone who has relocated, I get the distinct message that I'm really not wanted here.

Is this what you would recommend to the power brokers of the region to deal with workforce shortages?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 04:42 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,101,233 times
I do find it pretty irritating. I work for a very well respected company in Fargo with great pay and benefits, I don’t feel that I will ever be accepted as “one” of them. I don’t think in the long-term that I will stay in Fargo.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:52 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,971,242 times
I did not download the entire info packet....but from news reports via local media I didnt get the sense that it was focused primarily on locals first. I have been in the area since 1998, and we all know over the years there has been and continues to be an out migration in some fields yet toward the Cities or Denver or Chicago. The focus would be first to recruit those locals to stay here in the valley....to make the pay comparable to the those larger cities for comparable jobs. I personally dont think focusing on locals for hiring is a bad thing, as they know the area and our climate. At my work, it is usually better to get someone in from a northern state vs a southern state as they will likely adapt quicker and be less adapt to get up and move away after the first winter.

As far as being accepted....I think that comes from within more than looking for others to accept you. That said in my travels around the country for my job and having lived in a few places, it takes a good two years to feel like home. I have lived in the forks region for over 15 years now....and I would say it takes about 10 years or so so that when you say where are you from you say East Grand Forks instead of where I was born (Kentucky). But again I consider this area to be my dream location in terms of weather and geography so that helps too

Dan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo