Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2014, 11:14 AM

19 posts, read 36,183 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I live in NYC and I have been unemployed for a long time. The unemployment insurance is not enough to live on/pay rent so I moved into a homeless shelter. I am told and I have read and I even got the information from e-commerce part of gov't that the unemployment percentage is 2 percent. What is it like to live/work in Fargo, ND. I need to be on the bus line because a car will not be in the feasible future for a long time until I have a job and I am established. Therefore, I need to live/work within a reasonable distance to/from work. What is it like living in Fargo? Night life? enjoyment? theaters? farmers markets do you have them? Parks, beaches? and last but not least how are the winters? I would think investing in a good coat/boots is a good idea. Ultimately, I want to get a dog to keep me company such as; a Lab dog they are loyal nice dogs. Since I will be living alone it is nice to have the company. Lastly, crime, and the welcoming of others since I am a New Yorker. I was told by e-commerce that with so many people relocating they have people from all over the place many transplants so it should not be a problem. Where are the major employers primarily located such as; big firms, banks? Can anyone name a few or offer a website that is useful?

Please advise and thank you.

Nancy,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 01:01 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
I can not offer you any information about employment as I am long retired and have not been in the work force for many years.

As for general living I might help a little. I go to Fargo several times a month. It is quite diverse and spread out. Giving it a feel of being larger than it actually is. When thinking of Fargo you are actually looking at 4 cities that overlap. Dilworth MN, Moorhead MN, Fargo ND and West Fargo ND

While Fargo does have Bus service it seems to be concentrated around the college Campus area. MATBUS serves the Area and has 23 routes. they do have a good website with up to date information HERE

Shopping is quite satisfactory. Probably the most stores you will find in any ND City.

The winters are fierce. Can be deadly in a matter of minutes if caught out in a Blizzard.

It is a very diverse population with a very wide variety of people. I rather enjoy Fargo, but I am not a city person and prefer life off the beaten path.

A good site for general information is HERE

As for beaches the closest large body of water will be Detroit Lakes about 40 miles east of Fargo. For Information about there check HERE

Old 06-30-2014, 07:00 AM

517 posts, read 1,051,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseycity1 View Post
Hello,

I live in NYC and I have been unemployed for a long time. The unemployment insurance is not enough to live on/pay rent so I moved into a homeless shelter. I am told and I have read and I even got the information from e-commerce part of gov't that the unemployment percentage is 2 percent. What is it like to live/work in Fargo, ND. I need to be on the bus line because a car will not be in the feasible future for a long time until I have a job and I am established. Therefore, I need to live/work within a reasonable distance to/from work. What is it like living in Fargo? Night life? enjoyment? theaters? farmers markets do you have them? Parks, beaches? and last but not least how are the winters? I would think investing in a good coat/boots is a good idea. Ultimately, I want to get a dog to keep me company such as; a Lab dog they are loyal nice dogs. Since I will be living alone it is nice to have the company. Lastly, crime, and the welcoming of others since I am a New Yorker. I was told by e-commerce that with so many people relocating they have people from all over the place many transplants so it should not be a problem. Where are the major employers primarily located such as; big firms, banks? Can anyone name a few or offer a website that is useful?

Please advise and thank you.

Nancy,
Nancy,

I do not know your skills nor do I know your work history. However, I will offer this.

I moved to Fargo from Texas last December. It was cold, really cold. We had many days that started out at negative 20 degrees. It was so cold that Minnesota natives were complaining about the cold. I do not recall a headline for a single frozen homeless person.

As I maintain a home, and wife, in Texas, I did not want to spend much on living in Fargo. I moved into a studio apartment between the Red River of the North and NDSU on Broadway. It is about a 1 hour walk to the airport and about a 30 minute walk to Candlewood Suites on 19th ave.

I mention Candlewood Suites because my Studio apartment is just a half a basement in a house. The other half, one with a full kitchen rents for about 430 a month, including all utilities. The young lady that lived there last winter worked at Candlewood Suites, she was the assistant head of housekeeping. She made about 10.50 an hour. She walked to work all winter long. On the cold blizzard days, the hotel provided rooms for the cleaning staff so that they could be sure that they would have cleaning staff.

I don't know your health or strength, but if you can stand, you can probably get a manufacturing job making 12 to 14 dollars an hour, if you are so inclined, you may be able to get a job at Crystal Sugar in Moorhead, with wages starting at 12 to 14 an hour.

Finally look into a company called Digi-Key. They are needing people and need them so bad that they provide free bus service to the plant that is out of town.

Night life? The downtown area is pretty busy and pretty safe. It is small, a single street in New York City will have more going on, but, a single street in New York City will record more crime than the entire area of Fargo.

enjoyment? Enjoyment? I cannot describe it. Maybe it is more like, "Just abide" I was in Kansas City for two weeks and I am glad to be back.

theaters? We have moving theaters and the special Fargo Theater and a couple of local places that put on plays.

farmers markets do you have them? Yes they have farmers markets and other green or organic ways of getting food.

Parks - Fargo calls itself the city of parks. While some think it is a poor excuse for parks compared to say; Denver, coming from East Texas I find it a nice place.

There are no beaches.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 07-04-2014, 02:09 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,458 times
Employers with more than 1000 employees in Fargo

Sanford Fargo Medical Center, Healthcare Services, 6,020

North Dakota State University, Education - Training, 4,219

Essentia Health, Hospitals / Clinics, 3,383

Fargo Public School District Number One, 1,898

Noridian Healthcare Solutions Insurance 1,500

Community Options for Residential & Employment Services, Inc. 1,342

CNH America LLC Agriculture Equipment 1,250

West Fargo Public School District #6 1,248

Wanzek Construction, Inc. 1,100

U.S. Bank 1,052
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of: