Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2015, 03:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,656 times

Advertisements

Hello

I will be moving to Fargo in a few months with my family because of a job offer at Sanford. It's pretty scary as I have never lived anywhere outside of Jamaica. I don't know what to expect. I've been reading the posts which have been pretty helpful in telling about the weather. However I have not heard anything as it relates to schools. Will it be easy to find a school in Fargo to enroll my 6yrs old daughter? Is it easy to find my way around town? Will I need a car? Can I get a car to buy there? Any information will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 08:20 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,954,834 times
Hi there

Boy you are in for a shock... beaches to the middle of land locked America. But you shall adjust to the weather and area....most do. You can always visit family in Jamaica, which not many can say. Anyhow....yeah you read about the weather. Highly variable season to season....much much different than Jamaica. No hurricanes at least.

Yes you can easily enroll your child in the public schools. Depends of course where you live....in Fargo or West Fargo....as each elementary school as attendance boundaries. You can wait til you move up and find a place then enroll. Public school boundaries are on district websites....or you can just call. But public school registration is easy and free. Now you will have to be sure your child immunization is up to date to U.S. standards....he/she may already be...but double check.

I would get a car....and you can get a car easily here. Plenty of used car lots, etc. Bus system is ok....but with child it would be quite difficult to rely on that alone. Fargo as is much of the U.S. and esp the Midwest is sprawling in size and not compact thus making a car a necessity for all but the most hardy.

Fargo has had steady growth over the last two decades and not slowing down. West Fargo to the west is growing the fastest and new schools opening up and in need of more as the school age population increases. Moorhead MN too is an option....but if renting the income tax is quite higher than in ND and makes more sense to live in ND. If you are working at the new Sanford hospital area most of that area is in West Fargo public schools...even though address is city of Fargo. I wouldnt worry about either district or schools....all are are good and safe IMO. No worries there.

I live about 70 miles north of Fargo-Moorhead on the MN side of the Red river. Welcome.

The population has gotten much more diverse in recent years with many different cultures....it isnt like a big city....but there is plenty to do and still family friendly and family oriented. There are several colleges in the area....so many chances to go back to school if you desire.

Dan

Old 12-30-2015, 03:21 PM

81 posts, read 107,083 times
I have an interview in Jamestown, which is not Fargo I know. The company is flying me up there and I want to know if it is normal for companies in North Dakota to do that?

Old 12-30-2015, 10:38 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,549,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Boi View Post
I have an interview in Jamestown, which is not Fargo I know. The company is flying me up there and I want to know if it is normal for companies in North Dakota to do that?
Some companies in ND will do that, very normal if oil-related.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:16 PM

81 posts, read 107,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star691 View Post
Some companies in ND will do that, very normal if oil-related.
it is not oil related lol. It is for an entry level job too.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 4,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
Hi there

Boy you are in for a shock... beaches to the middle of land locked America. But you shall adjust to the weather and area....most do. You can always visit family in Jamaica, which not many can say. Anyhow....yeah you read about the weather. Highly variable season to season....much much different than Jamaica. No hurricanes at least.

Yes you can easily enroll your child in the public schools. Depends of course where you live....in Fargo or West Fargo....as each elementary school as attendance boundaries. You can wait til you move up and find a place then enroll. Public school boundaries are on district websites....or you can just call. But public school registration is easy and free. Now you will have to be sure your child immunization is up to date to U.S. standards....he/she may already be...but double check.

I would get a car....and you can get a car easily here. Plenty of used car lots, etc. Bus system is ok....but with child it would be quite difficult to rely on that alone. Fargo as is much of the U.S. and esp the Midwest is sprawling in size and not compact thus making a car a necessity for all but the most hardy.

Fargo has had steady growth over the last two decades and not slowing down. West Fargo to the west is growing the fastest and new schools opening up and in need of more as the school age population increases. Moorhead MN too is an option....but if renting the income tax is quite higher than in ND and makes more sense to live in ND. If you are working at the new Sanford hospital area most of that area is in West Fargo public schools...even though address is city of Fargo. I wouldnt worry about either district or schools....all are are good and safe IMO. No worries there.

I live about 70 miles north of Fargo-Moorhead on the MN side of the Red river. Welcome.

The population has gotten much more diverse in recent years with many different cultures....it isnt like a big city....but there is plenty to do and still family friendly and family oriented. There are several colleges in the area....so many chances to go back to school if you desire.

Dan
Thank you so much Dan for the info!

Old 12-31-2015, 02:39 PM

902 posts, read 1,092,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Boi View Post
yes, they are desperate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo