Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 04:16 AM

4 posts, read 16,752 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

So I am moving to Fargo in one week on a whim because of a job offer at Essentia Hospital. Never stepped foot in the state! I am kind of a spontaneous go for it for the hell of it kind of person so here I am. I was just wondering if some people that are actually from there tell me what it would be like for a me..

About me: 24. female. single. no kids. asian (should i expect mean racist people?) asian grocery stores?lived in california all my life so im used to hot 112 degree summers. I have visited many states before the coldest probably was Chicago during the winter. Dont know if illinois and north dakota compare..

What are some things to do in the town and chill places to go?
I plan on being here for one year. And who knows if I like it maybe Ill stay!

any info would be great
I would like some positives not bitter people to reply HA
thanks!

Last edited by steffykins003; 06-12-2015 at 05:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 08:16 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
I am a Muslim that lives about 100 Miles west of Fargo.The nearest Mosque to me is in Fargo, so I go to Fargo often.. There is a diverse population in Fargo. A pretty good mixture of ethnicity which results in a large variety of stores and eateries

I am a 75 yearold man with no interest in any "Night Life" or party scenes. But from my view I find a good variety of places to go and things to see. Irelate more closely to the Native American (Lakotah) way of life and prefer Rural and reservation life to city life.

But from my view I like Fargoand find the people to be quite friendly and very diverse. There are a sufficient number of Asian and Mideastern Markets to serve the area. You can also find traditional Scandinavian/German cuisine and some reasonably good Mexican food.

If you can survive the winters, you will find Fargo to be enjoyable..

Old 06-12-2015, 09:43 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffykins003 View Post
Hello all,

So I am moving to Fargo in one week on a whim because of a job offer at Essentia Hospital. Never stepped foot in the state! I am kind of a spontaneous go for it for the hell of it kind of person so here I am. I was just wondering if some people that are actually from there tell me what it would be like for a me..

About me: 24. female. single. no kids. asian (should i expect mean racist people?) asian grocery stores?lived in california all my life so im used to hot 112 degree summers. I have visited many states before the coldest probably was Chicago during the winter. Dont know if illinois and north dakota compare..

What are some things to do in the town and chill places to go?
I plan on being here for one year. And who knows if I like it maybe Ill stay!

any info would be great
I would like some positives not bitter people to reply HA
thanks!
I live and work in the Grand Forks area (70 miles north). Fargo and West Fargo continues to grow steadily and has for the last 30 years. Health care is very strong in Fargo....Sanford is building a brand new complex in SW Fargo. As in the case of many cities in our area... too many jobs and not enough people to fill them. Thus we have had new folks move to the area. Fargo is very much a metro....not some small town. At least for us. Certainly not anything remotely close to a larger city metro in California. Fargo has had a re-vitalized downtown area with new bars/music and many music groups come through the Fargodome.

Chicago and Fargo winters... well Fargo is a lot lot colder and drier for sure.... but also sunnier. You will need good winter clothing/boots which you can get here. West Acres Mall is very nice regional mall.

Now one thing about the area if you are from a more populated region....is that Fargo metro is about 4 hours removed from other metro areas....such as the Twin Cities. Most go to the cities every so often for fun.

Fargo area is close to lakes country in Minnesota and many spend time at the lake (about 1 hour east) in the summer. Detroit Lakes being a popular spot.

Wind is a constant factor in our area....it is flat.... and surrounding by farm land. Mosquitos can be bad....but cities spray so not too bad most days.

One thing I am not familiar with is Asian grocery, etc. but Fargo is very ethnically diverse and has a wide range of restaurants.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:54 PM

4 posts, read 16,752 times
thank you for the replies!!

i have another question.. about my vehicle. its an older car. Never been in this type of weather. Me and my car are used to the blazing hot lol.

My apartment building says it has plugin parking. I had no idea what that is until i researched it. Can people tell me more about it? Can I install this block heater easily myself?

Also I have my garage stall as well. Will that be fine without using a plugin ?

Thanks!

Old 06-12-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:

i have another question.. about my vehicle. its an older car. Never been in this type of weather. Me and my car are used to the blazing hot lol.

My apartment building says it has plugin parking. I had no idea what that is until i researched it. Can people tell me more about it? Can I install this block heater easily myself?

Thanks!
You can go to any auto supply shop in Fargo and get either an Electric dipstick or a magnetic block heat. both are basically no installation jus plug in and go--no tools required prices will run from 20-50 dollars.

Between my wife and myself we have never used any oil heaters and have never had any problems. Even when temps hit 35-40 below. Our vehicles are older models newest car we have is a 2004 Caddilac. We drive a 1985 Ford pick up most often. No heater and no trouble starting, we are not garaged and the vehicles are parked out in the open back yard.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:24 PM

517 posts, read 1,052,528 times
Quote:

Thanks!

Hi, I live in downtown Fargo.

I am from Texas and came up here a year and half ago. There are few mean people in Fargo. This morning was one of those "The moon must be full" mornings. I left my cell phone at home. So I had to drive all the way back across town. 10 minutes even. At one intersection, it seems that a couple of guys were having an unpleasant discussion, then a mile further, somebody rear ended somebody, they were standing around trying to figure out what to do, then when I got down town, there was somebody with their car blocking a couple of lanes. It looked like she had been hit. A couple of pedestrians were trying to help her move the car, but I could see that the rear axle was bent, she was going to need a tow truck.

A weird morning. Been a weird week. Somebody tried to rob a store. The clerk asked him if it was a joke. The guy responded by shooting a couple of hole in the wall. When the cops showed up, they shot him because he shot at them. A few weeks ago, a man got beat to death outside a bar. It was a bad deal.

Here in Fargo we consider the above to be an exceptionally bad run of crime.

There is a nice Asian market on Main, not far from downtown. There might be another, I don't know.

Fargo is not a pretty town, the land is flat. But, it is well kept, and has lots of parks. Once winter ends a lot of people spend a lot of time out doors in the parks. Food is not cheap here, but nothing is crazy expensive either.

Your car will break down. In some places you need a lawyer, in others a doctor, in Fargo, you need s mechanic and it doesn't matter how old, good, new or well kept your car is. i personally either park my car in a garage or have a block heater, to me it just takes stress of the mechanical things. If you will remember that cold, really cold, makes everything stiff and brittle and will baby yourself and your mechanical things you will be OK.

For the winter I would recommend a membership at gym with an indoor pool. It will make you leave your house and keep you fit for the summer. (The "y" downtown is building a bigger pool, and there are some nice places in the south west side of Fargo is you live out there.

Frankly, the weather is beautiful this time of year and the festivals and fairs, are one after the other.

I sometimes think I would like Minnesota better, but I have a feeling the Fargo is the best set of compromises around. Then again, I haven't lived in Siuox Falls, or Denver, or Duluth, or Rapid City, or Bismarck, or Billings, or Missoula, or Casper...dang life is short!

Old 06-13-2015, 01:23 AM

25 posts, read 55,286 times
Hi, I am from Fargo and all I can say is if you can survive the winters, you will love it here...it gets very cold and windy here but a block heater is not necessary if you have a garage.

It is diverse here but remember, nothing is like California so if you are always going to compare it to Cali while here, you will not like it...this is a midwest town and you have to keep that in mind. This is a metro with over 200,000 and not millions, people are friendlier, air is cleaner, and there is less crime.

If you can get into the small town midwest feel, then your biggest obstacle will be the winters so bundle up and tough it out and maybe, just maybe this town may grow on you.

Good luck and please keep us posted after you settle in.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:56 PM

231 posts, read 873,167 times
My wife is Filipina American. She has lots of asian friends here in Fargo and they get together almost every weekend and celebrate something. There is always a ton of food when they get together.

Which country is your heritage? There are lots of people of all nationalities here in Fargo. You will be treated well.
The Asian American Market and the Lotus Blossum market are pretty well stocked. Not like California, but not bad for this area.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:46 PM

19 posts, read 36,197 times
I am new to ND and have not visited Fargo yet but plan to soon. I hear they are not very receptive to people who are not rich and that crime is higher than Bismarck. I can't wait to visit the West Acre Mall. I hear they have great stores and they have some of my favorite. I am afraid of taking the drive alone but from Bismarck it is straight on the Interstate 94 going East. I will brave it one of these days when I feel bored. What do you think? I also have not had an easy time at making friends. People in Bismarck are not too friendly so it makes it even harder. They are not receptive to new comers.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseycity1 View Post
I am new to ND and have not visited Fargo yet but plan to soon. I hear they are not very receptive to people who are not rich and that crime is higher than Bismarck. I can't wait to visit the West Acre Mall. I hear they have great stores and they have some of my favorite. I am afraid of taking the drive alone but from Bismarck it is straight on the Interstate 94 going East. I will brave it one of these days when I feel bored. What do you think? I also have not had an easy time at making friends. People in Bismarck are not too friendly so it makes it even harder. They are not receptive to new comers.
It is a reasonably nice drive from Bismarck to Fargo. My wife and I uased to make that drive about once a week a few years back Suggestion Stop at Jamestown for a break and again at Tower city. Tower city has the best homemade pies in ND, never know what will be available, but it will be fresh If I remember right there are only 2 rest areas between Bismarck and Fargo one about 20 miles from Bismarck and the other about 4 miles west of Tower City--14 miles east of Valley City. We always used to just stop at Jamestown and Tower City. At Jamestown the best exit is 256 (Hwy 281) plenty of filling stations, convenience stores etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo