Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2009, 09:54 AM

5 posts, read 31,663 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are relocating to Fargo from San Antonio,TX and we are having a difficult time finding pet friendly housing in the $700-1000 per month range. We have a dog that is about 50lbs so I guess she is medium sized. We are looking for a decent sized apartment or townhome of 2+ bedrooms. Any suggestions on where to look online or a good place to stop when I am up there for work in a few weeks? I want to be in an Upscale area if possible. Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 04:01 PM

405 posts, read 1,335,135 times
Wow! I had one hell of a time finding housing in Fargo for my one small CAT let alone a dog! I also found that places that are pet friendly..arent so...upscale?!
I don't mean be discourage but you're right, its difficult. My apartment in South Fargo is pretty nice considering the decent rent and allows my pets. However... I think setting your limit at 700-1000 is shooting high. We have VERY low standard of living here and I would say the average apartment runs $500-700. More if youre looking for the pool and fitness center. Try calling Flagstone apartments (701-364-9333). The building I am in allows cats but I wouldnt be surprised if one allows dogs. South Fargo is probably going to be your must "upscale" area of Fargo.
I know there are apartments on 13th Ave and 25th street (not sure of the complex name). They are both so so in quality and I would say look before jumping.
I work at a local petstore here and almost all the associates with pets have houses. I would suggest looking on Craigslist as well as the local paper, the Fargo Forum online. (called in-forum). ALSO! Considerin searching for apartments in Moorhead Mn..just across the river. Their rent would be even less and there are some absolutely beautiful aparments just built on the edges of town. Anyway.. private message me if you have more questions! Best of luck!

Old 01-19-2009, 04:28 PM

PS-- I heard from a friend who moved from ND to TX that standard of living is very similar!

Old 01-20-2009, 07:06 PM

Fischer_girl- Thank you so much for the advice! I will call Thurs to see what they have. Any other suggestions are welcome!

Old 01-20-2009, 07:50 PM

You're very welcome. I was actually thinking about it while driving the other day...try coldwell bankers as well...they are a pet friendly real esate (apts included) company. They have this silly golden retrieve on their sign lol. There are some condos down the street from my place (25th street south) that look pretty nice... North Dakota Homes by Coldwell Banker

Old 01-22-2009, 12:52 PM

43 posts, read 197,610 times
If you don't mind giving some more information:
How old are you and your wife?
Why are you moving to Fargo?

After moving to someplace completely different for the first time (used this forum to help) I ended up in a good apartment but found places that fit my desires in housing much better after only a week or two of living here.

I'd suggest flying out here for a week, getting a long-stay hotel, and contacting people on CouchSurfing - Participate in Creating a Better World, One Couch At A Time who are similar to you for coffee and conversations. I can write you paragraphs about Fargo, but until you've actually walked the city streets you won't know what you want.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 9,009 times
I used to be an apartment manager in Fargo and was told to stay away from Coldwell and Skaff because the up keep is usually poor. Maybe some are better than others. I know there is some pet friendly upper scale town house types about a block and a half north of Southgate Hornbachers but I wouldn't get any closer to Kmart than that. Stay south of 27th Ave S. Seen some pretty crazy stuff north of there.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame55974 View Post
I used to be an apartment manager in Fargo and was told to stay away from Coldwell and Skaff because the up keep is usually poor. Maybe some are better than others. I know there is some pet friendly upper scale town house types about a block and a half north of Southgate Hornbachers but I wouldn't get any closer to Kmart than that. Stay south of 27th Ave S. Seen some pretty crazy stuff north of there.

I agree with the statement above. Southgate area is located on South University Drive and 32nd ave. I don't know of the condos there but don't get any closer to k-mart..I don't think that area would meet your 700-1000 standards.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:26 AM

Thanks all! I will be there next weekend for work and I am staying at the Hampton for a night and plan on exploring a bit. My wife and I are in our late twenties and like to have things nearby, but a quiet neighborhood. We are moving there for my career (we have moved throughout the country a few times already). Also, I have heard more or less to stay on the southside or the west side...any truth to this? Also, are there any truly bad parts to a nice smaller city like Fargo? I only ask because I grew up in a small midwest town and our "bad parts" were not near as bad as what I have seen in San Antonio (although still an awesome city).

Old 01-25-2009, 12:49 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkebp1333 View Post
Thanks all! I will be there next weekend for work and I am staying at the Hampton for a night and plan on exploring a bit. My wife and I are in our late twenties and like to have things nearby, but a quiet neighborhood. We are moving there for my career (we have moved throughout the country a few times already). Also, I have heard more or less to stay on the southside or the west side...any truth to this? Also, are there any truly bad parts to a nice smaller city like Fargo? I only ask because I grew up in a small midwest town and our "bad parts" were not near as bad as what I have seen in San Antonio (although still an awesome city).
There is no bad part of town per se....just that the north is typically older and more industrial and the south and especially the southwest is where the growth is now and the new businesses.

Dan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of: