Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 09:12 PM

45 posts, read 160,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by been_travelin View Post

My truck was dead, frozen solid for 3 entire days. Frozen. Its not the same as Chicago.

No it's not the same, so don't rely on your Chicago battery, right? Everyone here gets a heavy duty Interstate 800 (minimum) battery or the equivalent to get through the winter. Most people have or get block heaters too. You can't get buy here with auto or truck maintenance suited for more moderate winters. But that's not rocket science, is it?

If you plan ahead for winter in North Dakota then you'll have no problems ... or fewer problems. Just inquire here or ask the locals if you come here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 10:18 AM

3 posts, read 11,817 times
The issue with Fargo is not the cold. Anyone can handle a little cold. If you're really concerned about a little cold, then I would suggest moving to Arizona or Texas. The issue is jobs. Yes, the unemployment rate is low. That's because there are hundreds of restaurants and shops! Is that really where you want to work? If so, you will LOVE Fargo. But if you're looking for a professional career, GOOD LUCK! Unless you want to be a receptionist or secretary at one of the millions of private practices or hospitals, get a job before you move here! I lived in Fargo for 2 years and I have a masters degree. The best job I ever got paid me a mere $22k a year. If you want to move to ND for the good schools, low crime, etc. etc. I would suggest Grand Forks. Grand Forks is a nicer community and has a higher ratio of professional jobs. And don't kid yourself about Fargo's traffic. They have a lot of traffic for such a small city.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:35 AM

246 posts, read 1,006,930 times
Been living here now for about 5 years. I would have to say that Fargo is very nice.

Its just too bad that with the way the city is setup next to the river it doesn't have room to really spread out like bismarck. The houses in general here are built very close together with some neighborhoods I would think could be potential firehazards alone with the way they were built (greenfields anyone?) . I really like how bismarck can spread out.

Fargo actually has a nice variety of ethnic foods if you look for it. You just need to make sure and ask the people who run the place to make your food the traditional way if you are used to that, as the food especially spicy stuff is really toned down. I have been very suprised by what I could find out here for food.

As for the religion thing, haven't had any real issues other than on sundays when church lets out, its traffic hell. I haven't had any religious types knocking on my door like they did in other states, so thats a plus!

As for the cold, yeah, it can suck. Fargo's cold seems to last longer than Bismarcks too, and its wetter.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:05 AM

19 posts, read 50,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzacher View Post
all sensible people have plug in engine block heater for their cars so that they will start easier in temps below zero.
I've lived in Fargo my whole life and never once plugged a car in (to run the engine block heater), so your mileage may vary on this statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman View Post
Traffic in Fargo sucks. In Bismarck, you can be just about anywhere in 15 minutes from anywhere else in town even during "rush" hour.
Traffic in Fargo does not suck, and really only backs up for like 15 minutes in the afternoon rush hour. You can get anywhere in town in basically 30 minutes (more than Bismarck because the city is bigger, not because you're stopped in traffic). And 30 minutes is like from one corner of the city to the other, you can get most places in 15.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:15 PM

3 posts, read 14,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgirl82 View Post
The issue with Fargo is not the cold. Anyone can handle a little cold. If you're really concerned about a little cold, then I would suggest moving to Arizona or Texas. The issue is jobs. Yes, the unemployment rate is low. That's because there are hundreds of restaurants and shops! Is that really where you want to work? If so, you will LOVE Fargo. But if you're looking for a professional career, GOOD LUCK! Unless you want to be a receptionist or secretary at one of the millions of private practices or hospitals, get a job before you move here! I lived in Fargo for 2 years and I have a masters degree. The best job I ever got paid me a mere $22k a year. If you want to move to ND for the good schools, low crime, etc. etc. I would suggest Grand Forks. Grand Forks is a nicer community and has a higher ratio of professional jobs. And don't kid yourself about Fargo's traffic. They have a lot of traffic for such a small city.

Either you haven't looked very hard, or your chosen field pays very little to begin with. Sure, the Fargo-Moorhead area isn't bursting with high paying jobs, nor is it known as region full of great paying jobs, however, if you choose the right field to go into and have the talent to succeed, you can. I myself am a Master's holder from NDSU and work at a local firm. I currently earn $75k/yr and I've been working a little over 2 yrs. There's many firms in town that pay well, whether it's finance/banking, high tech, software, engineering, biomedical, medical, architecture, etc... You just have to know where to look.

Also, I'm going to disagree with you on the Grand Forks area being better for jobs and pay. If that was the case, many of the graduates of UND wouldn't head down here for jobs. I'm currently on track to earn 6 figures in a few short years with large bonuses and some nice benefits. Sure I could be making $30k-$40k more in a larger metropolitan area, however I'm more than willing to give that up for the larger amount of housing I can afford, barely any crime, moderate cultural diversity, a 5 minute commute to work and natural attractions a mere 30 minute drive east of the area into lakes country.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:21 PM

38 posts, read 187,909 times
You know man it's real easy to brag about how much money you're making, but for those of us who didn't major in those industries you posted the job market for college grads really does suck.

Who wants to get a job out of school making 25k when you can move to the cities and make 30k+. I tried for a year and half after college to find a full time job in Fargo. I couldn't and it broke my heart to have to take a job in a different city. I loved everything about Fargo (including the winters) except for the job market.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:26 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,408,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post
You know man it's real easy to brag about how much money you're making, but for those of us who didn't major in those industries you posted the job market for college grads really does suck.

Who wants to get a job out of school making 25k when you can move to the cities and make 30k+. I tried for a year and half after college to find a full time job in Fargo. I couldn't and it broke my heart to have to take a job in a different city. I loved everything about Fargo (including the winters) except for the job market.
Shamus, Fargo is a great city...
But, feel free to post in the SD forum if you're living here now!

Old 06-26-2009, 06:58 PM

3 posts, read 14,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

I'm just curious, what major did you graduate with, where you were not able to find a job...

Old 07-09-2009, 11:30 AM

246 posts, read 1,006,930 times
I would ask the same thing. What you major in plays an important role in what kind of work you will find in ND. I majored in computer science and I had a couple of offers out of college, but went to the East for work based on the pay only (big mistake). I should have just stayed here.

I know of people who learned power plant (whatever the specifics are I don't know, just deals with power plant) and they could not find any work in ND without experience. So some went to the cities, and make a killing there with the overtime they get, and now with experience, they could move back.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:58 PM

5 posts, read 20,911 times
fargo 200K+ metro area. 3 major colleges. very white. many club seens. well educated. right next to lakes area
- bad winters. alcholics. the normal amout of crime compared the the cities size. the police are not the friendliest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo