Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 08:22 PM

60 posts, read 180,480 times

Advertisements

When will they show up in Fargo? I thought they were year round.
I have the bird bath, and feeders out all ready for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 08:42 PM

405 posts, read 1,335,291 times
You're correct.. they are year around birds in ND. However...is this a new feeder or the first time you've put one up at your location? Because I just put up a feeder too, and I had a House Finch scoping it out for over a week before he got gutsy enough to land on it this evening. Keep looking...they're there! I also kept my blinds closed to eliminate the amount of inside activity he could see and I think that helped.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:30 AM

Yes it's new...so maybe that's it. I've only spotted robins, red winged black birds and sparrows far. Are you in Fargo?
Thanks for the post.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:39 PM

My husband and I moved from Fargo to Santa Fe, NM in Feb. Huge changed.

I added a hanging birdbath and another feeder today. I'm sure my finch and his lady friend will be freaked out for another week now.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:55 PM

That is a big change...I hope your adjusting ok.

Well...we have spotted a reddish finch...but he seems frustrated with the feeder. LOL
I need to get a ND birding book!

Old 05-10-2009, 08:34 PM

I am willing to bet you are seeing a House Finch as they are year-round there. He has a great beautiful song, and when startled his song becomes just one sharp note repeated. That is what I have at the feeder..and they have recently learned that the cats are behind glass and have started to taunt their feline stalkers.
What kind of seed and feeder are you using? I didn't know what kind of birds to expect here so I bought a generalize seed,....and those birds trash through the entire feeder...throwing ever seed onto the ground to get to the sunflowers. They like that and nyger which is crazy expensive!
Bird books! Go to the book store in the mall..they have a great pocket style book usually at their register..if I remember right it has a yellow cover with a red-winged black bird on the cover. Cash Wise grocery store has them as well!

Old 05-11-2009, 10:58 AM

Yes...that's it, a house finch!
I have a standard thistle seed feeder...which attracts finches. I have come to the conclusion...that there are just no golden finches around here yet.

If you go to Fleet Farm...you can purchase black oil(?) seed and thistle for a great price. When they are on sale, the prices are unbeatable.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:04 PM

Dang.... no Fleet Farm down here!! Guess I'll have to suck it up and pay the $15 for the teeeeny bag! I also put up a Hummingbird feeder this evening... we'll see how it goes! Fingers crossed!

Old 05-12-2009, 10:08 PM

625 posts, read 1,882,443 times
Another thing, this time of the year, there's enough other things out there to eat so they're not so dependant on birdfeeders. In the middle of winter the siskins & house finches, and in late winter red-polls, house finches & siskins would empty my thistle feeder in about 4 hours. Now it takes over a week...the siskens & a few house finches are still around, but the red-polls have already headed north. Goldfinches should be here in a week or two. I don't generally have them here year 'round....Just spring & fall into early winter. Actually, I think I read somewhere that the ones we get in early winter are from further north and start heading back that way in Feb or so.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:52 AM

625 posts, read 1,882,443 times
Saw my first male goldfinch of the spring just now checking out the birdfeeders. Heard some yesterday when I was working in the yard a bit, but it was off in the distance so I didn't see them. I should ask the neighbor 3 doors down...sounded like they were over in that area, & he also has a bunch of birdfeeders.....

He says he's had goldfinches for 4 days or so. He's listed over 40 species already this month. I really should get back to keeping track, too....I used to, but....

I did see my first house wren today, too. He's not seen them yet this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of: