Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 6,173 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Fargo this fall(around October). I live in Dickinson at the moment. Any recommendations on where to live(North or South)? I currently work at American Express as a CSR agent. Are there any notable CSR jobs around Fargo? I don't have a vehicle so I'm wondering what the costs are and how reliable the metro is in Fargo. I'm just looking for a 1 bedroom place. Rent about $350-500. Any suggestions is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 06:59 PM

213 posts, read 1,087,595 times
Well, I may not be the best person to answer since I will also be new to the area this fall, but I can tell you that from what I've seen so far, there really isn't a "bad" area. You can check realtor.com (yes, they list rentals too) and homeshq.net (not sure if they list rentals, but they have homes for sale).

Old 05-31-2007, 09:38 PM

87 posts, read 401,174 times
I would look at the in-forum.com first. Try this link:

Apartments HQ is your headquarters for Red River Valley area apartments

In the Twin Cities where I live, Craigslist is pretty popular, but not from what I see in the FM area, yet. Living in Fargo may be tough without a vehicle. The transit system is spotty, but here is another link to look at :

Metro Area Transit: Fargo, North Dakota and Moorhead, Minnesota

BTW- I am a Fargo native and lived there for 23 years. It is a great city. I am not sure about the CSR jobs available there, but know USBank has a good sized CS there. Best of luck !

Good luck in your ventures....

Old 06-01-2007, 07:33 AM

82 posts, read 258,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleweed05 View Post
I'm moving to Fargo this fall(around October). I live in Dickinson at the moment. Any recommendations on where to live(North or South)? I currently work at American Express as a CSR agent. Are there any notable CSR jobs around Fargo? I don't have a vehicle so I'm wondering what the costs are and how reliable the metro is in Fargo. I'm just looking for a 1 bedroom place. Rent about $350-500. Any suggestions is appreciated.
First thing - if you're looking for CSR jobs - an easy starting point is SEI - take a look at careerFARGOMOORHEAD and you'll find a lot of their job postings. From a guy who knows a lot of people who have worked for them, get a job with them and start looking for a better one.

About the metro transit, visit: Metro Area Transit: Fargo, North Dakota and Moorhead, Minnesota They have pretty good north south circulators, which go right by a number of apartment complexes, so you can walk out your front door and hop on the bus. If you do end up working at SEI, which is downtown, the metro center is just over a block from the building.

The other responses pretty much cover the apartment situation. Up north, there are some cheaper (albeit more "collegy") apartments. Down south, many of the buildings are new and more expensive, but nice.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:19 PM

3 posts, read 9,896 times
I'm also moving with my family in November in Fargo from Germany. We have a 15-years child and the most important questions for us is the school for our daughter. As we know, the high school North serves for children who lives in North Fargo and the high school South is for children from South Fargo.
We will rent an apartment in the first time and after the some time we plan to buy a house. We would like to live in the same area and not change the school after the some time.
What area is better for living – North or South Fargo? I mean possibility to buy appropriate house and school preference.
I will be appreciate for every suggestion.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:22 PM

158 posts, read 1,084,751 times
North Fargo has older homes, further north you the newer the homes get, south side has the most new homes. Depends on what kind of home you can afford later. I would feel good living in either the north and south. I would just avoid the center of town.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:54 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,479 times
South Fargo is somewhat more spread out than North Fargo. There are a lot more businesses on the south side now, but the north side (since it's older) seems to have a bit more of a "neighborhood" feel, in my opinion.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:48 AM

35 posts, read 144,194 times
Default Move from Germany

Olena,
North High has a smaller population of students and in general North Fargo feels more like a small village than South Fargo. The neighborhoods east of Broadway, north of 19th avenue are quiet, safe, and family friendly. Feel free to ask other questions. My child goes to a very small private school 8 minutes from north Fargo in Moorhead Minnesota which is an option too...
Good luck!

Old 06-04-2007, 08:40 AM

3 posts, read 9,896 times
Thank you all!
Joestoes,
What preferences has a private school?
From my experience in Germany, the small private schools are more suitable for children, who need more attention from their teachers. They have smaller classes but the education isn’t as good as in an public high school. Additionally, they are mostly expensive. Our daughter goes to a public school here and we are completely satisfied.
Is it reasonable to give a child to a private school? Is there a big difference between the private and the public schools in Fargo?

And one more question:
As I understood, the homes in North are mostly old. And what about lots? I would like to buy a house with big lot, if possible. That’s an old dream (little bit crazy) – to have a big garden. Is it possible to find something appropriate but not too expensive in North Fargo?
Thank you!

Old 06-04-2007, 10:12 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,479 times
North Fargo homes tend to have smaller lots than you would find in some of the developments in South Fargo. It really can vary, though. Homes in North Fargo tend to go between $100k and $175k, although there are some really nice ones that go up past $200k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo