Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 12:21 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,025 times

Advertisements

You are so pretty. They look good on you. Why is everyone so fascinated with us black women???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 12:26 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,064,838 times
They look good. I think black hair and blue eyes are the most striking combination.

I had blue contacts years ago (my eyes are brown). I also have black hair, very white skin.

Yes, I got the stupid comments, too, about 'are those your real eyes?' So, you don't have to just be Black...people just seem to comment on anything different.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:32 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,733,492 times
I love the blue contacts and you are very pretty with blue, green, brown or purple polka dot eyes.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:37 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Wow I recently got two pairs of fashion contact lenses (blue and green) for fun, because I saw one of my co-workers wearing a pair. I didn't know they were so controversial! Someone I know basically accused me of being self-hating and accomodating a "Euro-centric society". This person, as well as myself, works for a company whose image is typically associated with the blond-haired, blue-eyed sort of female, but I didn't enter that territory. So I googled it and there are all these sites in which people are accusing black women with weaves and colored contacts with being self-hating or ashamed of their "blackness".

Here is a picture of me wearing blue contacts:

In my profile photo I'm wearing green ones.

I see it essentially as wearing a different colored dress or changing up your shoes. I don't wish to be white or anything. I don't see how changing up your eye color is a racial issue? But I think it's the kind of people who assume what they will regardless of evidence to the contrary.

1. Who's really looking at your eyes?

2. A younger me would have agreed that you had racial issues, and that black folks (usually women) who wear colored contacts or weaves, etc., have problems with self-esteem. But I really don't think that as much now. I do believe that all of us who are not white are strongly influenced by European ideas of beauty - frankly, it is so obvious as to be irrefutable - so I just see this as another manifestation of that. I know sisters who do this do not necessarily see themselves as inferior, or that they don't necessarily want to be white. But I do think they in some ingrained way want to be seen as attractive by whites and those who share the dominant culture's aesthetic. I don't find fake anything attractive, but if you want to go that route, more power to you. Doesn't matter one iota to me, and if you feel better as a result, that's better for you.

3. Not only do many non-European people have green or blue eyes, but many in the African Diaspora do as well. Many of my relatives have blond hair and blue eyes - in fact, my youngest son was born with blond hair and blue eyes. We are all so mixed that even though people such as myself identify with Africa or the Diaspora, we also have to understand that our phenotypes are so varied because our genotypes are so varied. I have been tracing my ancestry and looking into my DNA lately, and I'll just say I've been very, very surprised by what I've found.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:42 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,130,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOARADIO View Post

um sierraAZ thats the biggest lie i've ever heard in my lie white women spend billions of dollars every year on fake hair, breast, nails, ass , lips , teeth , etc

shyt out of all races white women through away the most money on beauty enchancement products

also BTW Several white women wear weaves they call them extensions, tracks , etc

almost 90% of white females celebrities have some type of weave , extension or wig on there head only difference betwen a white women wearing a waeva and a black women wearing a weave is black women tend to waer weaves that dont match their real hair texture so people are quick to call them out on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Main Entry: sar·casm
Pronunciation: \ˈsär-ˌka-zəm\
Function: noun
Etymology: French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwarəs- to cut
Date: 1550
1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain
2 a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b : the use or language of sarcasm

synonyms see wit
I'm confused... I can't see how my post can provoke fuming. Also, I wasn't being sarcastic. All I said was that Blacks are accused of self-hatred evidently (I've no knowledge even of that as it's not something of my concern) when they do something more common among Caucasians. And most Caucasians certainly don't wear weaves; hence, it makes no sense to me. That’s all there was to it – very straightforward.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:43 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,262,835 times
Quote:
So I googled it and there are all these sites in which people are accusing black women with weaves and colored contacts with being self-hating or ashamed of their "blackness".
Oy! I'm white and I tried green contacts. What does that mean? That I secretly hate being of Italian descent and want to be Irish?

I also had pale blue ones much like the pale blue of the C-D skin, to go with a vampire get-up for Halloween. Does that mean I'm really a vampire at heart?

Wait a minute...

Old 06-10-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
The angst against weaves, colored contacts etc is due to this idea of forced conformity of being fully acultured to European standards. It's somewhat understandable considering you don't see white women "blackening" (read:not tanning) their complexions; wearing afro weaves or changing their noses to look like a steroetypical black person's features.
I know lots of white people who tan, and the presence of nonblack women thickening their lips via injections or other artificial means is enough to tell me that they do want some of the features that are natural on those of African descent.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:44 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,303,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'm confused... I can't see how my post can provoke fuming. Also, I wasn't being sarcastic. All I said was that Blacks are accused of self-hatred evidently (I've no knowledge even of that as it's not something of my concern) when they do something more common among Caucasians. And most Caucasians certainly don't wear weaves; hence, it makes no sense to me. That’s all there was to it – very straightforward.
It was very straightforward to me.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Well, they are medically proven to be harmful, that's not really a matter of opinion...however, my twin used to lighten her skin (which by the way, thinned her skin until she blemished easily), then went on to cut off her permed hair, grow locks and accuse everyone around her of self-loathing for not wearing their hair natural. Things aren't always so clear cut.

Wait a second.......you have a twin?

Old 06-10-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
You are so pretty. They look good on you. Why is everyone so fascinated with us black women???

cause you sistas are so damn fine............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty