Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 07:25 AM

853 posts, read 4,035,447 times

Advertisements

My son is leaving a school with a dress code and switching to a middle school. Does anybody have ideas on what clothes boys are wearing in middle school these days?

Are boys wearing certain brands (like Aeropostal for ex?)? Do clothes matter a lot for boys like they do for girls at that age?

We're in Massachusetts if that makes a difference.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 07:33 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
What your son wears during the time he is hanging with his friends and not at school is probably what he'll wear to school.

Like anything else, different kids will gravitate toward different looks. IME, it's a pretty safe bet to start out pretty "generic" - basketball shorts, low key T-shirt (with or without a sports or team logo...I would avoid the ones that have "sayings" on them), low-cut socks and athletic shoes...jeans, hoodie....then see what is the norm for the school or the group he hangs with.

WRT "brands" - I don't think my son cared that much except for things like shoes...as long as the "look" was ok, the brand itself didn't matter...ie - he has a bunch of T shirts with a small Nike logo on them - simply because that's what was on sale. Would he have been just as happy without the logo. Sure...OTOH, there are certain brands of athletic shoes he wouldn't be caught dead in....

Old 06-26-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
What your son wears during the time he is hanging with his friends and not at school is probably what he'll wear to school.

Like anything else, different kids will gravitate toward different looks. IME, it's a pretty safe bet to start out pretty "generic" - basketball shorts, low key T-shirt (with or without a sports or team logo...I would avoid the ones that have "sayings" on them), low-cut socks and athletic shoes...jeans, hoodie....then see what is the norm for the school or the group he hangs with.

WRT "brands" - I don't think my son cared that much except for things like shoes...as long as the "look" was ok, the brand itself didn't matter...ie - he has a bunch of T shirts with a small Nike logo on them - simply because that's what was on sale. Would he have been just as happy without the logo. Sure...OTOH, there are certain brands of athletic shoes he wouldn't be caught dead in....

Hi,

That makes sense, thanks! A friend was telling me to get certain brands, but my son said he thinks kids just wear regular clothes, so that makes sense (and he doesn't care too much yet).

Which brands of sneakers would your son "not be caught dead in"? lol

Old 06-26-2010, 01:49 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Ha ha - My son would not wear Tony Hawk brand skate-style shoes...he likes some of the skate shoes but I think the ones that say Tony Hawk all over them is kind of like wearing "Jaclyn Smith" from Walmart (I think Tony Hawk is all over Kohl's) so I guess a brand that to him screams "I SHOP AT DISCOUNT STORES" (not that he cares where anything is from - I shop at Kohl's and most of his clothes DO come from there LOL)...the other is New Balance...I don't know why (actually I think he thinks they are "mom" shoes or "dad" shoes)- he's not really too picky otherwise - any of the major brands is fine. What I ended up doing with him and shoes is telling him how much I am willing to spend. He can either find something within that pricerange or he can make up the difference(I chose what I felt a reasonable amount was - I don't expect that he will find men's athletic shoes for $20 or anything but I'm not spending $120 just because "everyone else" is either).

Old 06-26-2010, 06:26 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,022,429 times

Graphic tees and cargo pants/shorts should pretty much cover it!
Kohls would be a great place to start!

www.kohls.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeme View Post
My son is leaving a school with a dress code and switching to a middle school. Does anybody have ideas on what clothes boys are wearing in middle school these days?

Are boys wearing certain brands (like Aeropostal for ex?)? Do clothes matter a lot for boys like they do for girls at that age?

We're in Massachusetts if that makes a difference.

Thank you.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post

Graphic tees and cargo pants/shorts should pretty much cover it!
Kohls would be a great place to start!

www.kohls.com
Thanks! I went looking for t-shirts yesterday and had no luck. I'll try Kohls.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:26 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
My son's "uniform" has been jeans, tees, hoodies, sneakers since he was 13. He's almost 20 now and has added polo shirts and long sleeved pullover shirts/sweaters and a pair of Vans for work/dating purposes. Most boys also have cargo shorts as a staple but he doesn't like showing his hairy legs No brand prefrences for most things, mostly generic.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 21,426 times
My 12 year old son refuses to where anything with the GAP logo, the kids in middle school say it stands for Gay American People. I didn't know this and I couldn't figure out why he wouldn't wear the t shirts and sweatshirts that I spent so much money on.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:24 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
At 12, I don't think most boys have a huge preference for brands. They'll probably want certain brand sneakers depending on what crowd they fall into. Skater boys prefer skater shoes, etc.

Somewhere between 13 and 15, they'll learn about brand recognition (in a practical sense through seeing what people where, not in theory). At which you'll be surprised that you're no longer shelling out $$30 for GAP jeans, and now $120 for Diesel jeans. Oh well, making kids smile, just makes raising them so much better!

Old 07-12-2010, 12:29 AM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,937 times
A&F (and corporate sibling Hollister) is the brand de rigueur for middle school kiddies... that's if they're big enough to fit into XS or S sizes. Skate/surf/BMX oriented stores like PacSun and Zumiez are also very popular. I'm just simply stunned how these teen casual outlets can charge $60 for a freakin hoody!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty