Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2010, 02:09 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,428,226 times

Advertisements

What is the most hypo-allergenic, least-likely-to-cause irritation make-up brand out there today? Would it be something like Origins or Aveda? (Don't say Body Shop because I don't have access to a store where I live.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 04:17 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,816,806 times
I think Physician's Formula is hypoallergenic, and they make some nice products. Clinique might be hypoallergenic, but I don't use it so I wouldn't know.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:42 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,219,793 times
Bare esscentuals is a mineral based make up and is hypo-allergenic and actually is good for the skin. Sephora, Ulta and some Macy's carry it, plus the Bare Esscentuals stores themselves. My dermatologist recommended it after I kept getting weird flare ups & rashes. It worked for me!

Old 07-30-2010, 10:42 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,428,226 times
I can't use Bare Essentials because the powders give me severe conjunctivitis - but thanks

Old 07-31-2010, 01:54 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,338,218 times
I know you say no Body Shop, but can you order online? I've been getting one particular item from them for a few years (and have picked up various other items throughout that period of time from them), and really, really love their makeup. Thankfully there's a store about 25 minutes away from me, but I still don't go very often.

I think Almay is supposed to be? But if you're THAT sensitive (stating about the powders), I'm not sure. I bought a liquid eyeliner from that company, and it BURNED my eyelids (only where it was applied). Thought it was a weird reaction, washed off, tried again, left on, thinking it was just "normal". When I took it off my poor little eyes had chemical burn marks where the liner had been. Thankfully Target took the item back, after I stated I was very allergic to it. But, a lot of people I know swear by Almay. I do have some light wear foundation from them, and like it.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:57 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,174,173 times
Hypoallergenic is a marketing term. There is no industry standard so basically a company calls whatever it wants whatever it seems fit to not have a strong enough history of irritation in the company's experience. Liquid eyeliner can burn dry/sensitive eyelids because of the alcohol. Its better to line with a gel liner (which may still burn if its just a reaction to the black and not the base)

BE has bismuth. Its not really good for sensitive skin. I would avoid anything with bismuth in it. If your eye irritation needed to be medicated (infection) then it probably came from your brushes. If you use animal hair brushes you should switch to non-animal hair ones. (animal based brushes can irritate)

Lately I have been using coastal scents mineral line:
Coastal Scents: Coastal Scents Loose Mineral Makeup

They have sample sizes for cheap so if it does not suit your skin, its not a huge loss at all.

For around your eyes and mouth I suggest checking out tarte's line of products for clean slate primer, mascara and lip stuff.

For night try pure aloe gel on your face before bed to calm down any irritation from the day's exposure and cleansing. Its water based so it won't clog pores. Even with aloe though, allergy test.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:43 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,640,746 times
What Pitt said, and also more detail about the term:

hyper = more.
hypo = less.

So hypoallergenic simply means "less allergenic" - less than something else. But not necessarily non-allergenic.

Whatever you're allergic to, avoid products containing it. If you are prone to allergic reactions to lots of things, get a patch test to find out exactly what you're allergic to.

If your reactions aren't severe and are really just sensitivities that cause redness and maybe watery eyes, here are some things that are -common- sensitivity triggers:

1. lanolin - huge irritant - probably the most common. This is the oil that is carded off sheep's wool. If you're allergic to wool, stay away from it and anything containing it.
2. mica - common in makeup, particularly eye shadow. If your eye shadow or liner makes your eyes water, this is -likely- the perpetrator of your occular crime.
3. bismuth (which is actually just a very natural clay, but it can irritate - it used to be the main ingredient in pepto-bismol and is in many mineral-based cosmetics)
4. synthetic fragrance - anything that says "fragrance." If it's "hydrosol" or "essential oil" that would not be the same thing. Those can be irritants, but only to people who are specifically allergic to them. Synthetic fragrances are -common- irritants. Natural fragrances are not.
5. almond-scented anything - if it smells like almonds and insists it's all natural, then it probably comes from bitter almond - which is a known skin irritant. Sweet almond doesn't contain the irritant, but it also doesn't have that delicious smell.

Those are the most typical, common irritants. If you've been using products containing any of those things, try products that don't. If you still have trouble, then you'll need to delve further into discovering what -exactly- is causing your irritation.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:29 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,447,536 times
I have very sensitive skin that can be eczema prone sometimes, so there is no product brand out there that 100% hypoallergenic. Clinique has great makeup, I use their Even Better foundation, blush, and their eyeshadow. I occasionally use Cover Girl. Its kind of a trial and error thing. I agree with Anon chick.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:01 PM

43 posts, read 86,374 times
Bare esscentuals is a good brand, i just got this bareMinerals Happiness Collection ,i used it for some weekes, i feel it is very good,comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty