Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2010, 01:56 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,493 times

Advertisements

I have seen on several different sources, claims that left of center people and environmentalists follow a fleece fashion trend. Although many people in such a category wear fleece because it is comfortable and do not label themselves as "superfical," it does seem to be a popular style of clothing for such individuals. First, I have seen more than my share of fleece jackets in stores, but what about shirts and pants? Has anyone else seen much of a fleece wardrobe that includes regular shirts and panst made of fleece? I read about one woman who complained how she likes to dress up when she goes out. However, at all of the Sierra Club meetings she has been to, people wear nothing but fleece. Is fleece clothing seen as too casual for the rest of society? Is fleece a fashion trend found only in rural areas and other "outdoorsy areas"? I have seen fleece jackets here in NJ, but people often dress up and mind their appearances in a more "dressier" way. Am I correct to portray (as a very general rule) that fleece clothing is for most popular the left of center environmental crowd, who tend to be better educated? Isn't fleece popular for such individuals at all ages and not just the under 25 crowd? Am I correct to say that fleece jackets are the most common form of the clothing, but some people do go out of their way ot buy the shirts and pants? Where else is fleece sold other than outdoor stores? Some may be found in Walmart but is it a more expensive cloth? Or is it the same as cotton in price? Why is fleece so popular among that specific demographic? Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 02:32 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,825,735 times
.... you're putting a lot of political thought into a simple textile.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:36 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Um......just a thought here.....if you wanna discuss political ramifications of a piece of clothing, perhaps you should post your query on the P&OC forum.
This is the Fashion and Beauty forum.
We're really not worried about the political leanings of fleece wearers.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:40 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Um......just a thought here.....if you wanna discuss political ramifications of a piece of clothing, perhaps you should post your query on the P&OC forum.
This is the Fashion and Beauty forum.
We're really not worried about the political leanings of fleece wearers.
LOL! So true!
I tried to rep you but I still have to "spread it around".

Old 07-02-2010, 03:18 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,825,735 times
Sadly enough, I sit right in with the crowd in the OP. Under 25, left-leaning, concerned about the environment, I live in a rural setting...

But I wear fleece because it's cheap, warm and fleece hoodies are usually pretty cute.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:20 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,493 times
I wasn't trying to discuss politics, just the certain demographics and personalities of those that wear fleece. Secondly, what about the rest of my question? Are they found at Wal-Mart? What about clothing other than jackets? Is fleece cheaper than cotton? I know that my past posts in here may not have been that popular, but I am interested in the fashion trend that I have heard described.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:30 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I wasn't trying to discuss politics, just the certain demographics and personalities of those that wear fleece. Secondly, what about the rest of my question? Are they found at Wal-Mart? What about clothing other than jackets? Is fleece cheaper than cotton? I know that my past posts in here may not have been that popular, but I am interested in the fashion trend that I have heard described.
I doubt they'd be found at Walmart right now because it's Summer. I know people both under and over 25 who wear fleece because as emi_ described, it's cheap, warm and can be cute.

Why would you need to know if fleece is cheaper than cotton? Are you thinking of selling it?

Old 07-02-2010, 05:36 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Where I come from, everyone wears fleece, rich, poor, left, right, young, old.
It can be found in any store, and every fabric store carries it by the yard.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:38 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
I wear fleece because it works for my lifestyle (runner/cyclist/xc skier)!!!

I like the stretchy microfleece the best.

I have friends of all politcal persuasions, and guess what? They wear fleece too. Probably because they also run and ride and ski.

Now my sports bra? I only wear that because I'm a feminist.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:44 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
A few months out of the year, you'll find me covered in fleece. I don't care how much it costs; I could give a rat's a$$ about trends. Anything below 10 degrees Fahrenheit, it's fleece, that's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty