Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 03:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,778 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon,

I just saw an article linked to this forum www.fashionencyclopedia.com/fashion_costume_culture/The-Ancient-World-Greece/Metal-Girdles.html]Metal[/url] Girdles - Fashion, Costume, and Culture: Clothing, Headwear, Body Decorations, and Footwear through the Ages

An I was wondering if anyone could help me Im a writer and such words shouldn't escape me but Im not a fashion designer or fashion historian.

I've got a few regardments regarding vestments/regallia/girdles maybe someone here can help me out I've been pouring through books to no avail.

If you would look at this picture sorry its a cartoon pic but its all i could find without scanning something. http://gamersdailynews.com/images/fe.../Amy/Zelda.jpg

1. Looking at the golden chain girdle what would you call the chunky decoration/ jewellery attached to the girdle that is hanging the piece of material that looks like an emblem. I have used such ideas as a clasp but I don't think clasp fits that article. What exactly is this article is it just part of the girdle so girdle would accurately depict it or what do you call that part of a girdle?

2. Looking down to the piece material hanging from the girdle with the imagery embroided into it. What is this article called? At first I thought it was an emblem or sash but sash isn't correct its not been woven around the waist to fall in front its a completely seperate pece of material from the girdle. So what does one title or call this part of clothing?

Thank you very much for your time and assistance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 05:15 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,318 times
What you are describing generally IS either a badge or emblem that would clearly show the family and status of the woman wearing it.

The girdle had long been a part of the standard garments for many, many centuries and the clasps (as well as the materials used) differ throughout the ages and the geographical region.

This eventually settled into the Chatelaine's belt that finally went out of vogue in the Edwardian era.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:56 AM

2 posts, read 1,778 times
Thank you so very much for your help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty