Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 03:53 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,889,374 times

Advertisements

No way. It is a diaper bag for goodness sakes! Augh. Reminds me of those mothers that "need" matching, designer stroller and carseat combos. And a present from the husband? Seriously? The baby is the gift to both of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 07:56 PM

812 posts, read 1,898,505 times
I got push gifts after both kids. A good friend of mine who was older always said that you are supposed to get jewelry after you have a baby. Maybe it is rich old southern lady saying....anyhoo I always joked with DH before we had kids about the push gift.

I picked out birthstone jewelry-- I have a simple emerald cabachon knock off David Yurman looking ring for my DS and I upgraded my diamond studs with DD.

I got a "nicer" diaper bag- it was ~$140 messenger style Caden Lane. wipes clean ...I planned to use it for both our kids. AND I refused to carry something that had cartoon characters, animals, hearts or babies on it. At least where we live the only choices were at the Babies R Us or Walmart/Target stores. They finally have nicer looking non juvenile ones at BRU but I would die before carrying a Winnie The Pooh diaper bag.

BUT most of the time we carry a blue Kelty backpack. It prob cost $50 and we have used it for 4 years. Plus hubby doesn't look as silly with the backpack.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:05 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliana View Post
Thanks for asking..."push present" is the gift that a husband gives his wife after she has just given birth. (because she has "pushed" so hard to get the baby out". LOL!!!
Did you make that up?

Old 07-20-2010, 10:00 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,354,269 times
Wow, I can only imagine what the posters in this thread would think of me! LOL I don't breast feed (FWIW, not every mother can...however, I chose not to with any of my children) nor do I use cloth diapers.

BTW, what the heck is a "designer stroller"!? Yes, both my husband WANTED specific strollers and car seats that happen to be on the costly side, but please tell me, what exactly does that say about us? We have the means, so why not? Besides, those strollers and car seats tend to have excellent ratings and reviews.

And yes, I received "push gifts" after having my children. The term may be fairly new, but the sentiment behind it isn't.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:29 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,332,248 times
Quote:
Just wondering how many new mothers would buy them? I have many friends who want it as a "push present". Also, what do you think when you see a mother with one? do you think it's a status symbol?
Well, I wouldn't buy one, but I wouldn't think anything of a mother who does. If she has the money, why not? I just like spending my money on other things, like food and lingerie.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:32 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,909,894 times
I'd assume it was a knock off as well- especially if she was under 30.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:13 AM

6,066 posts, read 14,991,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
... The baby is the gift to both of you.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:39 AM

812 posts, read 1,898,505 times
well did some googling and apparently this isn't a new tradition....not sure how accurate this info is from this website but sounded realistic enough on the ancient tradition.

It is also a cultural thing for many people.

What is a Push Present?

Old 07-21-2010, 08:29 AM

4,116 posts, read 3,137,211 times
Quote:
Just wondering how many new mothers would buy them? I have many friends who want it as a "push present". Also, what do you think when you see a mother with one? do you think it's a status symbol?

It's definitely a status symbol. Please no one really needs a Gucci diaper bag do they now? Just get a diaper bag from Babies R Us.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:04 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,295,230 times
I'm pretty sure that if Gucci launched a toilet paper range there would be people out there that would "have to have it"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty